Register now to get rid of these ads!

another 54 chevy front clip question sorry guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GBchev, Feb 21, 2010.

1. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

hey hambers im looking at my 54 chevy 210 here and i was wanting to upgrade my front suspension of course right so has any one here used a volare front K memeber on there 49-54 chevy? the k member is actualy out of a 79 dodge aspen or my buddy was telling me a 71 pinto front clip would work is this true? i dont really want to chop the front end up thought. Alot of people just say M11 but i dont have the 2000 to drop on that. every thing i got for my car so far has been cheap or free and i like to try and keep it that way since im not a wealthy man. so far i have a 85 305 with a 700r4, 57 belair rear end, walton motor mounts and trans crossmember so just need to figure out my front suspension thanxs for your time guys

2. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

On a budget i would use the Mustand II frontend.You can save a lot of money by using the stock oem control arms and brakes.There are companys that offer a 5 bolt lug pattern with stock brakes.Later when you have some extra cash you can upgrade to the tube control arms and larger brakes.There are several companys that offer crossmembers at a good price.But If you dont have a welder or cant weld here is a bolt in crossmember...

Good luck,
    Steve

<HR>[​IMG]

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

What are you wanting to do? They make disc brake kits for the 54 CHevy and outside of that IMO you aren't going to gain anything by adding an Aspen or Pinto clip.

4. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

well the aspen front suspension has been rebuilt it has disc brakes and power steering. i am looking to lower the front end a bit and gain better handling and stoping capabilties and possible when i have the cash air bag it but im not sure yet.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The Aspen is too wide for your car, so I wouldn't go that route. the Pinto front end you mention would not be a good idea either as it is the earlier series and just a bit light for what you want to do. Pintos starting in '74 and all the way to the end of their run in '80 use the "Mustang 11" front end. Merc Bobcats too. I have done or helped in several occasions with this swap using the stock front crossmembr and all. It is more work than buying a bolt in or weld in kit, but good results can be had if you take your time and use your head. Do make sure you upgrade to bigger front brakes with this though, Chassis engineering, Speedway, and everybody in this business sells kits to do this with either chevy or ford rotors. As mentioned above, you can use the stock Pinto Mustang 11 arms, springs, spindles, rack,etc. with an aftermarket kit and save a bunch of bucks as well as having a very easy install.

6. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

i was also thinking after i get my small block in i could drive it with the stock suspension and just save money to go M11 i just want to explore all my options since this is my first 50s car a couple of people told me its not worth it to throw a shit load of money into this car cause its a 4dr but i figured a 50s car is still a 50s car and it shouldnt matter i think this car would look so good slammed in the rear on wide whites and that is my goal

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

The idea that you won't ever get as much of what you put into a 4 door as opposed to a 2 door is correct but 54 Chevy 4 doors make great drivers.

Nothing wrong with 54 Chevy 4 doors.

8. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

i have seen some really nice 54 chevy 4dr chopped and bagged. i beleave there is a guy on here that has a chopped 4dr.

9. tooslow54

tooslow54

I used a disc brake swap kit from MP Power coupled to a under floor power master from RB's. Kept the king pin set-up and really don't plan on changing it as it handles fine. The MP kit was around $300 and included everything needed to swap to disc except the master. If you can stomach that you can also get a m/c setup fairly cheap. If you don't care about power brakes either MP or ECI makes a bracket to adapt a 60s or 70s (can't remember) dual master to the stock pedal. About $70 if memory is correct. Hope some of this helps.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Overall, I think the advice to upgrade your stock frontend to disc brakes is the most cost effective improvement you can make. After that, a MMII style front end would be a good bet. Chassis Engineering bolt in the easiest and they make good stuff. In any case, The Aspen front end is, in my opinion, rather bulky and inelegant........and more important, it's a torsion bar setup and WILL NOT lend itself to "bagging" later on.

Ray

11. sluggo88

sluggo88
    from upland ca

Walton here, I can set you up with an easy MII for $1670.00, includes power rack, front sway bar, and free shipping inside the US. let me know.
    Todd

12. Mustang ii x members $3oo plus shipping, with tubular a arms $710 FREE shipping IN THE 48 STATES, rotor to rotor $1520 FREE Shipping IN THE 48 STATES

13. TERPU

TERPU

rebuild the stock stuff. It works great and is cheap to rebuild. You realyl don't gain anything by putting an independant into a car that's already so. I have rebuilt original stuff in mine even the drum brakes. And it works great. Cut some coils and you'll be just fine.

Tim

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If possible talk to people that have done the MII deal and get a ride or drive the result. This will help make your decision. Also like someone suggested get a drive in a reconditioned stock suspended car like you have. The result just might make you a believer in the stock setup and it would be cheaper and a lot less labor intensive than a MII or a clip.

Frank

15. cwayne

cwayne

My 2 cents worth is take Walton up on his deal, if it's a TCI unit it will be a snap to install and you'll be very happy in the end you did.. I've installed 6 or 7 of them and everyone has loved them.. if you would like some pictures send me a PM with your e-mail and i'll get you some..

16. Unsafe6

Unsafe6

As a guy who has daily driven my 54 for years and has put on 10s of thousands of miles doing cross country road trips leave the stock system. Upgrade with gas shocks and radials. Add disks if you think you need them. these cars drive great and can be baged easily in stock form. Remember 53-62 Vettes used the same frontend.

17. My buddies and I have done both. Rebuilding the stock set up, with dropped spindles and disc brakes was almost about the same cost as buying MII kit.But when it comes down to slapping in the v8. You'll have way more clearance with the MII.

18. GBchev

GBchev
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

thanxs for all you info guys like i said this is my first car and im trying to soak up as much info as i can.

19. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I can't imagine that a pinto suspension set-up on a car that it was never intended for would handle any better than the stock stuff.

20. nutajunka

nutajunka

If your cheap and can make some measuring jigs, you can use a stock crossmember and just up grade the rotors.

21. Buy yourself a $500 early 80s Jaguar XJ sedan clunker and use the front end off that. Rack, discs, Chevy wheel bolt pattern, unbolts off the Jag, a couple holes line right up to the Chevy frame, a couple triangle shaped pieces of plate, a couple upper shock mounts, and some quality time with the welder and you're good to go. Lowers the car a bit in the process, too. Scrap's going back up, if you can't part it out (the seats are nice to use in the Chev, too, usually leather and six-way power) fill it with junk and take it to the scrapper and you're liable to get half your money back.

22. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Save up your money and get the mII. You won't be disappointed. They're narrow enough so you can get really low and not have clearance issueswith the fenders. IMHO, it's the "correct" way to do it.

23. grey goose 51

grey goose 51
    from la

m II is the best way to go but its cheaper to get a clip out of a regal 85 ish power steering and disc brakes and parts are easyer to get then valari, camaro, mII