Register now to get rid of these ads!

Annual HAMB Drags reality check

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by MoKanMan, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

HAMB Drags reality check

OK gang, looking forward as most of you are, to the up coming drags here at the ‘Kan.

BUT, I want to make sure that everyone who plans to go down the drag strip understands that what you are about to do is dangerous, and that you have the GONADS to except the consequences if you crash. You can be hurt real bad, or you can be killed.

It's called racing folks, and it is dangerous. We do our best to keep the track clean, dry and free of junk. But since we are human, we may miss something. So keep in mind when you turn the stage bulbs on, you are saying you accept the track AS IS. You are also saying you have no problem racing along side whoever is in the other lane.

We will check each car for our minimum safety requirements, which you can view here;

http://www.mokandragway.com/rules/safety.html

ALSO roadsters will need a roll bar!

Pay close attention to the first paragraph;

Drag racing is a dangerous sport that can result in serious injury or death. Participation in all aspects of the sport is voluntary. The ultimate responsibility for participant and vehicle lies with the participant, vehicle owner, driver and crew members.

Track prep;
    We will do a normal track prep, which includes spraying VHT to the 1/8 mile. If your car needs more than that, maybe you should be running NHRA National events.

With the number of street tires that will be on the track, and the heat, I don’t think we will see the best track of the year. But again, if you need more traction than we can provide, maybe YOU should change something!

OK guys and gals, sorry about the negative tone, but this needed said.

Other questions about tech, fire away!

2. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Just a side note to those that are making a pass. I am a safety freak and I plan to have a couple extra helmets with me. I think I have done this every year so far. I like to see everyone in a helmet whether you are required to have one or not. That is just my feeling and has nothing to do with the track policy. Just stop by my old truck and pick up one if you need it. Do not take mine out of the cab please. Please bring them back when you are done.

John

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

drag racing. serious business.

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Roll bars, how about really slow roadsters? We are talking banger power!

5. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Roll bars? New for this year? Just running a 16sec. 1\4 street roadster,do I need to get to work this week installing something?:confused: Rob

6. Rusty

Rusty

in the past years, street roadsters didnt need rollbars

7. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Yeah thats how it was last year,just hope I can race again this year.Hope mokanman can clear it up for everyone,thanks in advance Rob

8. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Can I use my 30-year-old open face bell helmet? Never used in a wreck...

9. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Roadsters need a roll bar if they run faster than 14.5 or over 95. We've said that for several years.

Sounds like your helmet is OK, show it to the tech guy.

10. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Thanks for the answer Mokanman !I didn't catch that years past,sorry for the confusion on my part. See ya sat.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

looking forward to seeing you again sweetie and coping some hugs.:cool:

12. A big "THANKS" out to the MoKan crew! Y'all do a fine job, no complaints here!

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

That won't be a problem for my roadster:(

14. haymaker

haymaker
    from Enid, OK

I don't have a windshield at the moment, however, I am wearing a full face helmet with a face shield. Is this OK or should I get to work on getting a windshield put in? Ran with a Lexan windshield last year. Thanks in advance!

15. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Full face with a visor will work.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Shit, helmet was on my list of stuff to bring and I just realized I forgot it. &ohn, I'm going totake you up on your offer, thanks much.

17. haymaker

haymaker
    from Enid, OK

Thank you very much! Looking forward to another great day of racing at MoKan!!!

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Thanks.......the roadster this year has a "donor" motor in it and was kinda' worried about the roll bar thing.......but, we have not broke the 90mph in the roadster p/u and the roadster will try to break the 22 second mark.......just like 63'.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Attached Files:

19. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Would have been better for me if one ASS HOLE never got on the track in that HA/GR class. All I know is if I grenade my car and parts go flying, I would make sure that everyone is OK. And would at least apologize! Not be a DICK HEAD and not say a word when asked what parts he used. My truck was the one that got hit by a 5+ lbs pressure plate pice from that pile of SHIT car. A door can be replaced but what if it had hit someone. We all take a risk and know the danger of what we do at a drag race. Just would have been nice if someone in that group of theirs would have APOLOGIZE! And this is the class that is suppose to be egoless. For all the people that came by and did apologize (that had nothing to do with that group) thanks.

Robert

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

Right on Robert !

21. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

A 31 MO FO, I heard the bang and the clatter of parts hitting your area. A friend of mine told me the driver of that car was laughing it up when he was being towed back thru the pits. Shameful.

22. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Real track? I hope you don't mean that the way it sounds.

23. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Was it and HA/GR that killed the track for a while? I just heard over the speakers that they were "cleaning" the track and that the "stuff" really burns you eyes.......Who was it that blew up?

Oh yea, THANKS Carl for this year and how "smooth" everything ran......

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

24. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Thanks Blasted. The 55 ran a best of 12.88 @ 107 but Danny ran 11.33 so I have got my work cut out.

thanks

Wish I knew.

25. Preach it brutha!

26. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thats Fucked Up .Not even an apology :confused: ???

27. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Lots of stick shift cars at the HAMB drags, and I've wondered when we would finally have a flywheel explode.

I've got lots of holes in the asphalt to patch this week from this deal. It could have been really bad, we were DAMN lucky that none of those pieces hit a human.

Parking along the fence will expose you to whatever comes off the cars, and could expose you to the cars themselves.

If you run a stick car, be prepared to have a scatter shield next year. This car had one, but obviously it didn't do the whole job.

28. geemann51

geemann51

Pictures of Roberts truck, DW with the 5 pounder, and the damaged car....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  29. bigken

bigken

WOW - and to think me and the family had been sittin' there all day long, too.........WHOA........
    Glad DW can dance............:D

30. I should've mentioned that this incident happened at an Airport on a runway... Yours is a Real track!!!:cool:

That flywheel incident is scary... 3 people at Great Lakes Dragway were severely injured and 1 Fatally when a flywheel went through the crowd on the big end!

I often thought about the folks lined down the airstrip trying to get a closer look... especially after my incident.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010