Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anniversary

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 283john, Jul 27, 2011.

1. I had to share with you guys. Today is the 20th anniversary of the day I bought my car. It was July 27th, 1991 and I was 13 years old. I had $550 bucks saved from a summer of detassling corn and another $100 from my Grandpa, a dyed in the wool car lover. I went with my dad and paid Earl Berg the $650 price we'd agreed upon a year earlier for his '65 Rambler Classic wagon.

(Earl had owned the first Harley-Davidson shop in my town and still worked on bikes in his garage. I knew him because he'd worked on my Dad's '47 flathead 45 c.i. chopper since 1969. They had formed an unlikely friendship that I was lucky enough to co-opt.)

With the deal struck, I rode with Earl in the car to our house as it was his request to drive it one more time.

Earl and his wife have been gone about 12 years now but I still have the car and drive it weekly. The last time Earl saw the car was at my highschool graduation party in '96. He just grinned and said, "yup, looks like a new one". I hope he looks down and sees that even 15 years after that, I am still taking care of the car he practically gave me and that it still looks like a new one.

Anyway, slightly off topic but just had to share a little about the car I've had nearly 2/3 of my life.

2. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Cool story man! And I'm a amc guy, so all the much better! ;)

3. Thanks man! I hope things are going alright for you.

4. jipp

jipp

ok, this thread needs a picture :) i think its a great story.. iv not been able to hold onto much since my high school days cause of a motorcycle accident that broke me physically and financially.. ( i have a couple of small things but nothing comes to mid, id have to see the damn thing on a shelf or in the garage to remember when i got it. getting old.. what a trip )everything had to go ( even the gf, no monies no honies i found out Laughs.. at least at that age. now im my mid 30s, everyone is acting all grown up.. go figure.. ).. but, its all good i can still smile :)
    chris.

5. Here it is parked outside the Road Rocket Rumble

[​IMG]

and here's my daughter passed out in it on the way home. She loves riding in it.

[​IMG]

6. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Maybe you will get a traditional hotrod someday.

7. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Grow up Chris! It's a damn fine story.

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Could you please post some pictures of your tradition rides, so we'll know what one should look like?

Perhaps then other HAMB'ers here could slam your rides like you do to others in your posts.

HellRaiser

9. Great Story John, at 13 you knew what you wanted and you got it. I really loved the picture of your daughter!!! Make sure you save it and show it to her when she is much older!!! Ha Ha...