Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anglia windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alphabet soup, Jul 5, 2016.

1. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone here installed a windshield in an '48 style Anglia? If so, what's the trick? My friend bought rubber and a glass template from Anglia Obsolete. He had the glass cut and it matches the template great. That guy told him it goes in from the inside of the car. But it just seems too large to fit. What the heck am I doing wrong?? Gene.

2. back to the top.

3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

We put the rubber around the glass first then ran a long piece of string around the groove in the outside of the rubber, lubed up the rubber with washing up liquid .One person inside pushing it into position and one on the outside pulling the string and feeding the rubber around the opening.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you are a genius. Will try that tonight when I get home from work. Gotta go now. Be off line till tonight. Thanks! P.S. Thanks for the bump Mr. 40

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. ...................................Glad to help. You can call me Don.:)

6. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went from the inside. Washing up liquid does the trick. The string works. Still a really tight fit. Worked at it for hours, and couldn't get the last little rounded corner in. Ended up using the suction cup glass holders from a glass shop to be able to move the glass around just that little bit. Having the right tools helps alot! I have a "spare" clear one if you get stuck.

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok Don, I will. Tom, will try that. Only fly in the ointment is the roll bar. Have to work around that. Thank you both for the help. Gene

8. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My windshield may have actually been a touch on the over size as to how tight it was. The rubber that I used was really nice and helped. The suction cup things helped a lot! I broke the first one, with around 2" to go. Putting pressure from the inside and was just about to say "time for a beer" when it just cracked. When I got the replacement, I bought two, just for insurance. That's why there's a spare.
    Good luck, I have faith in you!

9. Lay the rubber in the sun for a while and it will be easier to push around.

10. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

When I worked in the glass install business years ago, I used go-jo for the lubricant on the gasket as it was easy to clean up and the rubber actually liked the compound. Location of the string (use a 1/4 inch rope) is also important as we used to start at the bottom middle. Would also suggest that you NOT push on the glass but gently slap it with the open palm of your hand, that was you do not have a pressure point for the glass to run/break. Hope this helps.

11. I used to use silicon spray on the rope back in the day, also liked to exit the bottom center. I would try go-jo on the next one. The guy who did my Ford at the house used some sort of soap. His charge of $75 was very reasonable and I was his helper.