Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anglia Accident at Ohio Valley Raceway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlinetoys, Nov 2, 2008.

1. prost34

prost34

That crash does make ya wonder,i could not believe the roll bar that was in my anglia,,,not to hyjack the thread but,,my anglia raced in ohio,cant find any info on her,,anyone remmember it?,

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. tkhube

tkhube

Kentucky Drag racing History. Send pictures and Look at kentuckymotorsportshalloffame.com Neat pictures

3. jeffleon

jeffleon
    from ky

i knoe exactly what happened at ohio valley tha day ed was testing his anglia on the return road with a new blown engine and it had been raining and he had his door opened cause he thaught he was breaking traction and caught traction throwing him out of the car and killing him it wasnt on the track it was on the return road

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  4. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Earlier this year the original owner of Ohio Valley Raceway, Wayne Williams, filled us in on the story of the Golden Angel crash. We were in a meeting organizing the first annual Ohio Valley Reunion talking about the history of the track when the subject came up. Wayne said the reason Ed Payne was testing on the return road was because the track was having new striping painted on it that day. After several passes on the return road, the car was making its last pass and the front axle collapsed. As the car rolled several times, Ed was thrown out, more than likely not wearing his seat belt. The police investigation showed that a weld broke where the straight axle had been narrowed and then chromed.

Anyone looking at the crash photos can see that the car seriously folded up even though it had a rollbar. I have seen other photos of early Anglia and Willys gassers from that era that crashed and the bodies seem to fold in a similar manner. Todays rollbars are required to have braces running forward as well as toward the rear. With rear braces only the front portion has no support and allows everything to shift forward. Another thing that allows the early bodies to fold is the lack of bearclaw type latches that keep the doors closed. Without bearclaw type latches when the body starts twisting in a crash the doors come open and a large amount of body support is lost. I believe that 1955 was the first year that bearclaw type latches were installed at the factory in passenger cars.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. ganga

ganga

What a reality check.....That is why I only run the eighth mile.

6. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

what year was it this happened?

7. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I see no breakage in the front axle, other than the spindle gone. :confused:

[​IMG]

Rest in Peace Ed.

8. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

It was Ohio Valley. The way I remember it was they took the car down to do some trial runs during the middle of the week and the car went airborne and flipped. The rest is history.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yes, I have the article. i will see if I can find it and post it.

10. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

I'm looking for any pictures of my 1940 chevy coupe J/G that I used to race at Ohio Valley. It was sponsored by Toohey's Auto. I was partners with Lyde Wagers for a while when he had the 55 Nomad Wompin Wagon.

11. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

I believe this is what you are looking for....

[​IMG]

12. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Yes the spindle is gone because the weld at the end of the axle holding the kingpin housing broke. According to the police investigation, that is what caused the crash.

13. RAY With

RAY With

That was a hell of a car in the old days but the short wheel base drag cars were not my thing. I imagine the original was a hand full to drive. Very interesting article and thanks for posting all the pics and info.

14. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

I'm new to this site and I hope I'm doing this right. To the Kentuckian, yes this is exactly what I was looking for! All pictures and trophies I had were destroyed in a fire. Thank you so much!!!

15. tkhube

tkhube

Thanks to Bill Caughron for keeping the Golden Angel name alive in the Memory of Ed Payne. Thi has to be one of the most famous Ky. Cars ever. The other Famous Ky. Cars are Wompin Wagon Nomad and the Frakes & Funk Kentucky Moonshiner T/F.

16. tkhube

tkhube

Check out kentuckymotorsportshalloffame.com for some neat history on Ky. Racing.

17. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

While the accident did happen at Ohio Valley Raceway in 1967, here are some photos from the other dragstrip that was mentioned...Cedar Creek Dragstrip that became later known as Bullitt Dragway. The two names came from the fact that it was located on Cedar Creek Road and was in Bullitt County, Kentucky.

1. Looking downtrack from the starting line.

[​IMG]

2. Looking across the starting line from the pit side.

[​IMG]

18. SPYDER MAN

SPYDER MAN

My dad matched raced against the Golden Angel weeks before the fatal crash. There is a pic of my dads Thompson & Adams anglia squaring off against the G A car at Edgewater on www.dragnutsmugmug.com.

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I remember the Tooheys automotive cars. All were fast. Wasn't there also a 55 chevy out of there? We would drive down from Indy some times to run stock and super stock. Mike Keown was tuff in A/S I also remember Jesse Belew? {spelling} knocking heads with the regulars there. Gliiden,Tom Burnell,Stout,Dillman and others would frequent that track...good times. P.S. just realized you mentioned the 55.

20. I was born and raised in Louisville, and I too, remember the Toohey's Automotive cars. That's where I used to buy most all my parts at. The other place was Clary's Automotive over on Steedly Drive.

My uncles campaigned the H&H Racing D/Gas '55 Chevy that used to run in the mid-late 60s back in the area. I tried to buy that car in 1980. The roof of the garage it was being stored in caved in from a heavy snowstorm, but it caved in all around the car and didn't hurt it. I wanted to buy the car and make a street machine out of it, but my Dad but the halt to it. I remember seeing pictures of my uncle's car racing the Wompin' Wagon '55 Nomad. That Nomad was a terror.

My father used to sell insurance and his office was over on Berry Blvd, near the station where the Golden Angel was based out of. My grandparents lived on Taylor Blvd. There was a lot of racing going on in Louisville back then, both drag and circle track. I remember some bad-ass street machines out tearing up the streets, too. It was a great place to grow up as a kid.

21. This is a great thread for Kentucky racers. I remember the ad's for Toohey's........when your car goes foohey........call Toohey's!

22. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The original article from Hot Rod Aug '66.
    Scan0037.jpg Scan0035.jpg

mgtstumpy, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Gasser731

Gasser731

This is a picture of Ed Payne and my father
    Charles Cooper, he worked at Powell's service station back in the day and I guess turned wrenches for Ed. When Ed invested into Krispy Kream donuts. Mr. Cooper then moved to Columbus Ohio to manage KK on High st. My father passed 20 yrs. ago at the age of 52.

Attached Files:

24. 52? That’s too bad. Any more pictures or stories? All the KK’s around me closed, after only being open for a couple of years. We drove an hour and sat in the longest drive through line when they first came to Maple Grove years ago.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  25. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

26. reagen

reagen

Still after all these years R I P.

chryslerfan55 likes this.