Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Angle grinder etiquette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ Top Chop, Feb 9, 2020.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is correct, but, I wouldn't blame someone else if they did.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s nuts I think. That wound definitely needed medical attention including about 8 stitches.
    Cleaning and infection risks not to mention possible damage to something else under the cut.

Makes me glad I live where I can get good medical care.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  3. oj

oj

I once got the job of finishing a nice Model A because the owner did exactly what the OP did, used it up in the footbox and it broke apart with a large chuck imbedded in the headliner, probably still there as a conversation piece.
    I never use those razor discs in an electric grinder, too powerful, they are safer in an airtool that'll bind up and stop before shattering the disc . I use them mostly with a 90deg air die grinder with an arbor I made to finish weld seams on sheetmetal panels, they're the tits for that, they last forever.

4. bct

bct

That brings up a good point . The dc cordless stop when bound too.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

General power tool safety. Any power tool can hurt you if you don't know how to use it or something catastrophic happens, like a disc exploding. 49Ratfink and I were talking about the safety training we got in high school about power tools. Many folks weren't lucky enough to get that training.

49ratfink likes this.
  6. Dipping in gasoline works pretty good for the small bleeder dings.

7. My PA told me "That is just men doing stupid stuff", when I went in to get treated for sciatica from lifting too much weight at the gym. She said she sees it daily!! I think there is no cure for us.

lonejacklarry likes this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is about safety. too many people don't even think about it. I had it drummed into my head for 4 years in WOODSHOP, and that is where the planer was. I figure you people with giant gaping cuts did not get the same safety training as I did.o_O.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Okay, after donning my face-shield and glasses and gloves, I had to wire wheel some stuff with an angle grinder.

All good.

Then picked out 20 or so wires from my shirt.

Where the heck can I find a machinist type of leather apron? Something that goes from chest to thigh?

10. Yup. Power tools are dangerous, especially the drills and cutoff wheels. When I was 21 I had a drill bite a piece of metal and took my left thumb off from the tip to the first joint. Doc re attached it and I'll never have a thumb nail again. And about 5 years ago I had a cutoff wheel come apart and catch me in the stomach at work. Luckily not a lot of damage done to muscles, but about 20 stitches to the gut make me look like I have a C section scar. I refuse to use grinders or cutoff wheels without earplugs, gloves and the guard properly adjusted. And drills aren't my favorite thing to work with either.

11. spanners

spanners

I got mine from a welding supply store. Actually my wife bought it for me because she had seen too many t-shirts ruined by wire wheels and welding burns. They aren't cheap but pay for themselves in no time. Mine's about 25 year old and still going strong.

Budget36 likes this.