Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Angle grinder etiquette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZZ Top Chop, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Gloves offer no anti cut protection from a cut off disc, when one flies apart yes. Skin and bone offer no resistance to a cut off disc also!! JW

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I ever use one again I think I will make it a two man job. one shrink and the other cool.

3. Those are industrial looking stitches. My guess this wasn't a Hollywood plastic surgeon? Did he use 20# or 30# test fishing line?

4. That works quite well too. Plus if you need someone to hold the dolly they are right there. I’ve swiched to cooling with air as well.

5. No shit right?
    That’s some nasty “sewmanship” :D

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chicks dig scars;)

willys36 likes this.
  7. Well to all those who scoff at those stitches, the were done by a "car guy" surgeon who was missing his left index finger from an angle grinder mishap while working on his 65 Mustang. Today you have to look very close to see any sign of a scare, he did real good. JW

willys36 likes this.
  8. Ok guys, maybe i should have just posted up the first photo that was taken of my hand. JW

[​IMG]

31Vicky with a hemi and willys36 like this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

Thin cut off wheels on a 4" grinder opperating technique is alot different than with a say a die-grinder, your 4" grinder is heavier , bigger and more torque, makes it easier to apply more undirected preasure on the thin disk vs a die-grinder usually runs at a higher rpm and tend to be jumpy if not held properly.
    There are so many over all variables on operation of either tool, or any tool, and what your trying to do with it ....bottom line is use "common sense" and have a clue to what your doing ....and what your using to accomplish it.
    Also understand the difference between safety glasses and a safety full face sheild.
    When using grinding tools sure safety glasses will keep stuff out of your eye's, but your eye's are in your face ...and it can get ripped up too, as your hands and any other bare body parts...shit can and will happen no matter what ,
    Just think about what your doing, and what could happen if shit happens.
    The only one time that I have got metal in my eye , requiring a doctor visit, while grinding steel ...I was grinding , overhead , and wearing full safety goggles....it apparently had gone in through the vent on the top of the googles and entered my eye....so shit can happen no matter what...when I grind with any type grinder I tend to wear a old full face flip up lens welding hood and welding gloves. But I admit its taking me many years ,and I have many scars , to figure that out...and yes I knew better back then but now as I get older I also realize I don't heal as quickly as I once did.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. got a full front leather apron years ago; saved me more than once from shrapnel.That ,combined with a good full face shield has been religion for me. Buy the best cut-off wheels you can afford and research which wheel is best for your application. Another point to consider is the nature of our "hobby" and the fact that a lot of us work alone and at odd hours. A bad cut to the wrong spot and bleed out leaves no second chances, if no one is around to help. It sounds melodramatic,.....I don't wanna find out. That being said.....Be smart, Be safe.

6-bangertim and Gasser 57 like this.
  11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't "scoffing" at your injury, it's a very graphic and real reminder to all that you have to protect yourself when working with potentially dangerous equipment. I appreciate your honesty and sincerity in posting this but I still stand by my original statement, " Chicks dig scars ". It's a fact of life.

12. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Don't store a cotton mop anywhere near where you cut or grind. If not for good timing I would have burned my whole garage down.

13. Most of my shop T-shirts have burned holes in the belly from spark driven fires!! I tell my wife, if I am not on fire or bleeding at least once in my shop, it was a bad day!!

woodsnwater likes this.
  14. Let’s see it now
    That’s pretty fucking gross

6-bangertim likes this.
  15. Yep!!

16. adam401

adam401

Just a side note for those who dont like to use face shields due to fogging up from breath. At my work we use the mesh type over safety glasses. I wear it while cutting rail (train tracks) cut after cut. Much more comfortable than a clear plastic shield. Just an option.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. I know they love scars and i am so bummed that i didn't really get one after i had healed. JW

18. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Time I weighed in on this. In the steam turbine world we use cut off wheels every day.
    Rule # 1: use heavy leather or cut level 4 gloves, neither are expensive.
    Rule # 2: wear a long sleeve heavy shirt or welding jacket.
    Rule # 3: wear wrap around safety glasses and a good face shield, $30-$40.00, Uvex S8500
    Rule #4: only use high quality wheels, we use 4"x.035 3M Cubitron ceramics, you have to work to blow one up but it can be done. We use them with Dotco or Aircat pneumatic tools.
    I could go on but I use the above at work and at home, I don't risk it.

19. birdman1

birdman1

plasma cutter

Boden and 6-bangertim like this.
  20. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

21. Andy K

Andy K

Definitely a fucking winner

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. AZbent

AZbent

Just yesterday, my wife found out my son in another state had stitches. He cut himself with a box cutter. It wouldn’t stop bleeding, so as a PA, he stitched himself up. Using his dominant hand and his mouth. I think we’ve all used black electrical tape to stop the bleeding.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Andy K and 49ratfink like this.
  23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20171026_132416.jpg

I feel like a piker compared to others. This is the result of an unguarded die grinder while the above wrist was in the line of attack when the wheel went through the exhaust mount.

The doctor lady at the VA called me a dumbass. Very astute, she was.

32SEDAN and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think the problem with you guys who keep cutting yourselves up is you did not have 4 years of Woodshop in high school where safety was pounded in your head, and at least once a year someone would lose a finger or do something else stupid.
    my favorite was the kid that had some issue with the giant planer we had, and rather than hit the big red stop button he somehow got his finger cut off and when I got to class there was a long tendon in the planer. I think it was a tendon, it came out of his arm when the finger came off. looked like linguini in clam sauce whatever it was.. the finger went to the hospital with him.

I never pick up a power tool without considering the ways it could ruin my day first

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That’s nasty

26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember the demonstrations the shop teacher did for us.......what a mess a planer would make of a melon, how a table saw could throw a piece of wood and it stick into a wall, how quick a lathe could rip a shirt sleeve off a stick and roll it up around the head. He drilled tool safety into our heads. I don't think we ever had any injuries from power tools, did have a few burns from welding and torch cutting though.

49ratfink likes this.
  27. What do wood planers have to do with angle grinder etiquette? JW
    P.S, the photo of my stitches was taken when the first cast was taken off after three weeks.

28. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This happened on Jan. 17th, the pic is after a couple of days worth of healing. Fortunately it didn't get a tendon, or worse. It's up to you, use all of the PPE, guards, handles and common sense, or, you can post a pic like this one. You might get away with something a thousand times or more, 20200119_120202.jpg or you might not.

29. Toqwik

Toqwik

I always remember what my dad said from when I was young. You only get one set of eyes he always enforced the use of facial shields, safety glasses, and all other too. Smart man. I wish I would have this car onyonev.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A couple of days of healing? Am I correct in assuming that you didn’t go for stitches?