Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anderegg Roadster TRIBUTE-MEMORIAL build and info, AMBR 1955

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ANDEREGG TRIBUTE, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Tommy loves that damn car. He sent this pic to me just yesterday.

We tried to talk him into restoring it before Franco did his. Early Ford coupes with hot Flatheads & Cadillac engines had him distracted though. :eek:

JH

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
    chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

THAT IS SOOOOO BITCHIN!!!!!!! Thats one of the best photos of the new version Ive seen yet. Think I'll call Tommy tomorrow, hes supposed to help me out with a few more measurements and I'll fill him in on my visit with Ray. I'm having a blast with this entire project, really stoked about the build now! Louie

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Ray seemed to remember the show and the photos being taken at Griffith Park probably late 56 or early 57. He and his brother Walt trailered the roadster down there while he was on leave. Any other info would be appreciated if somebody out there remembers.

Louie

els likes this.
  4. Louie (@ANDEREGG TRIBUTE ) ...

What a small world! ... just the other day, I sat in traffic behind "Uncle Ray" ... I was staring at his license plate trying to figure out what else "AMBR 55" could possibly stand for (nothing on his truck led me to believe he was a Hot Rodder).

Very cool tribute ... please keep us updated on your progress!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks Hemi32...btw great coupe!!
    Here is the one that was in TRJ#17
    [​IMG]
    ....was told that is Gene Winfield on the far right, circ. 1953 or 54, taken by Joe Barnett on way to either Santa Cruz or Pine Crest.

And a couple from the GNRS in 1991

[​IMG]

thanks, Louie

Stogy and els like this.
  6. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

[​IMG]

Ray's wife of 47 years, Sharon, she is awesome!!!! Coincidentally, the guy that owned the yellow coupe in the above picture, Jim Smiley (leaning on the a-pillar), was her first husband, but he was killed in an auto accident in '57 in Merced. Legend has it that she single-handedly pulled the flatty out of that coupe one night while all the guys were at a Merced Valve Burners C.C. meeting. She just loves hot rods and especially the roadster.

Louie

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, els and 1 other person like this.
  7. old beet

old beet

I saw the car at Half Moon Dragstrip in 1959-60. Lime/gold Chev V8. Took a couple fuzzy fotos that have posted here before. Can't find them now.,,,,Beet

8. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Too cool!!
    I mangaged to snagg one of them, (the one that shows the rear half of the car), I'll have to search for the other....but dang 5600+ posts!!!:eek: Thanks for all the interest. Louie

els likes this.
  9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

With all do respect to the owner.....why?:confused: That is one of the most famous cars on the planet.:) Please maybe someone can persuade him to make the car look like the days that made Blackie mad as hell.:D

10. Because Ray bought it back and rebuilt it and if anyone is/was entitled to rebuild it, it would be Ray.

That would be cool to see it returned to the '55 version but that would mean the whole back would need to be cut apart as the beading and trunk have been filled & smoothed. It is possible it was just leaded in.

11. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Royalshifter [​IMG]
    With all do respect to the owner.....why?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Correct, When Ray got it back as stated before, it was just the body shell and the old frame. Previous owners had changed the car beyond recognition and as had been Rays previous experience, everytime he rebuilt the car, he updated it to the current trends. Although in hindsight he has some regrets, but the car was rebuilt with some awesome craftsmanship.

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Royalshifter [​IMG]
    :confused: That is one of the most famous cars on the planet.:) Please maybe someone can persuade him to make the car look like the days that made Blackie mad as hell.:D

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    The current owner has been little by little giving the car a bit more traditional look, and has a few plans yet still in the works. and ya, the original beading is long gone, and other elements have been added to the body.....nevermind the street rod style frame. I am hoping ours will be worthy of being in one of the shows in California once its completed....but then wouldnt want to push Blackie "over the edge":eek::eek::eek: reliving the little yellow "roadster".

Louie

els likes this.
  12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Believe it or not......This car in the early 70s had the look of a "t-bucket", complete with wide rear tires and brass T radiator, and tall windshield. Then it was completely dismantled. Truly it was beyond recognition, but when Ray found it, he KNEW it was HIS!!!
    Louie

els likes this.
  13. GaryC.

GaryC.

Is this the car?
    It looked so much like it when painted yellow
    I thought that I would post it.
    If not; it's pretty cool anyway.

Attached Files:

• 27t.jpg
      27t.jpg
      File size:
      90.4 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Yup that is it!! Thats Ray in the drivers seat and his brother Walt kneeling by the engine. That is the photo from the cover of Hot Rod June 1957. The photos were taken at Griffith Park in L.A. durring a car show they trailered the car to. I tried to get Hot Rod to look for the photos but they dont do that kind of research....bummer:(. Thanks for checking in on the lil roadster.

Louie
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    els and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Just found this in another thread...thanks to ZomBrian for the post.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Louie.

16. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

[​IMG]

Just found this on a photo site...similar photo to the one in the book about Gene Winfield. Thats his 35 pu in the rear, Rays roadster, Gene's 50 merc, and Jim Musick 50 chevy...I figure either 53 or 54.
    Louie
    PS, if anybody out there has a '56 GNRS program I would love to see the cover. Thanks

17. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Quick update:
    Up to 8 owners since Ray.
    Colors over the years, yellow, white, lime-gold metallic, primer, black, red, then Porsche Guards Red.
    Every owner has done some sort of change, removed/added parts, and the little car was darn near unrecognizable at one point....it even had 2-4barrels.

Thanks, Louie

els likes this.
  18. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

By the way, if anybody is interested, this is an article from How to Hop-Up your engine, May 1962

Louie

els likes this.
  19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

YUP.....UNRECOGNIZABLE!!!!
    Circ, 1970, alot had been changed.
    [​IMG]

Louie

els likes this.
  20. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

At the very top on my list .....I like the yellow version with the Top

els likes this.
  21. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Update: Sold one of the racecars, so have a few bucks to swing around, so....finally will pick up some 50 Merc rims, beauty rings, ford p.u. shock mounts, and a pair of Arrow headlights that a friends been holding for me. Hope to find some stuff at Turlock Swap on the 30th, and then finish buying the front suspension pieces.

Had a great talk with Blackie today, really great guy, but said his ranch house burned to the ground in 1970 taking with it all his old trophies, plaques and pictures. He actually asked for a picture of Rays Roadster for himself....wow, of course will gladly give him one.

Still looking for a photo of both cars with the big trophy, Blackie, his wife, and Ray's brothers from the 1955 show. (it appears to be taken from above) May be in a Rod & Custom feature for the 50th anniversary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Managed a huge find.....34 Chevy steering box....WOW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  22. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Turlock Swap and Tracy Ledford were good to us. Ended up with the Merc wheels and hub caps, Ford beauty rings, Arrow headlights, front shocks and mounts, some more 42 Buick gauges, tie rod, chrome engine pulleys, a fan, ign & light switches, Kaiser lens and trim, and a ford rear mirror.
    AND.........
    [​IMG]

We were to meet Ken Bosco of Gustine, who owned the roadster from 1968 -1970, at the Turlock Swap (he had a space). At some point he got a ticket for the windshield being too low, and had to add a top pane to the windshield above the chopped model A windshield. In doing so he cut the tops of the stancions off and added longer stancions to mount the new windshield panel. He brought this piece and was kind enough to give it to us. Turns out its the driver side top, it had been painted black with the rest of the car at the time, and inside you can see the original splice just above where Ken cut it off. We are amazed that we ended up with an actual part off the original car, (something I had totally given up on ever happening). There are some tell tale modifications and I am convinced its the real deal. Hope to make some real progress on the car in the next few weeks.

Thanks for looking in on our progress.
    Louie

els likes this.
  23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

24. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I'm emailing you the pix now..

Looks AWESOME BTW

25. It's coming along nicely Louie.

26. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thanks guys, and thanks for looking in....

Louie

els likes this.
  28. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Louie the car is looking great. I can't wait to see this thing finished!

29. Great tribute for a great car, I had a chance to sit in the car when Ray had it in Merced in 89? or so. I have a good pic. of Ray and Don Anderson in the car from that day I'll try to post it later...

skitzo13 likes this.
  30. Von Franco

Von Franco

Louie go man go..................

kidcampbell71 likes this.