Register now to get rid of these ads!

And a build continues

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by canadianal, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Old28

Old28

Al, on my car I have changed from a 7/8 MC to a 3/4 MC and tried to get the peddle ratio as close to 6 to 1 (I have 5.5 to 1) now. It is a foot setup and is much better now.

I still think as with my car that it is more about the converter setup than the brakes in being able to hold the car & get the RPM up. I may be all wrong but you need a lot more HP than these smaller motors make for a modern 3500 - 4500 converter to stall correctly.:confused::confused::rolleyes:

2. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

you may very well be right, you would think the torque peak would be low enough to bring the convertor up. I will find an answer soon as i will be playing with the trans brake too to see if it come up against the convertor. i only have a 10 inch 3200 in mine but thought the 10 would be a bit looser than than a larger one.
    I am thinking of loading up the car and taking it to Montana in a couple weeks they have a car show and test and tune Saturday and a casual race Sunday its 1/8 mile. might be a ood chance to get used to the car. great guys rerally good racers

3. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

well car is all packed up to go to the local carshow/picnic in the park tomorrow well see if they are ready for a 6cyl dragster

Did a little work to the car this week put a momentary off toggle switch in the ign line so i can turn the car over with no ign on.(should have done this in the first place) the car seems to like timing but is tough to start when i have it where it seems happy . dam timing light croaked last week so i dont even know where i am at but its working good.
    Kided up the jets a couple sizes front and rear as am woried about being too lean.
    also built a little add on et timing board holder that fits on either side of the car and I can access from inside to chnage the et if required.
    If the weather holds i am ging to pack up the whole unit and take it to the USA next weekend as the Malta Montana 1/8 mile stip is having a car show test and tune day plus a race day on Sunday. would be a good place to get some of the bugs(if any worked out)
    Last time We went to the early race down there it snowed on the way down :eek:then rained all weekend and we never made a pass.

4. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

All loaded up to head South across the border, looks like no snow this weekend at least well see how it does in the 1/8th.

Attached Files:

5. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Yep the only electronic thing in the Green monster is the cd player in the dash. Just over 40,000 miles on the thing,the oilsands love old 454s:D

6. Old28

Old28

Best of luck Al, let us know how she ran after you get home.:D

Nice looking rig.

7. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

back from the South , Car ran really well, far too much for the tires at for the first 80 ft or more . Car runs realy straight and well no issues even when no traction for a long ways out.
    no real difference from stalling against the brake , from idle or even on the trans brake
    all decent time 8.2- 8.35 83-35 mph in the 1/8th 2.00 -2.10 60 ft same thing no difference. Just no traction
    was going to try to leave on 2nd gear once for shits and giggles but never did get to it.
    got 9 runs in for late Sat pm till Sunday pm.
    next to impossible to hold with brake and I was pulling so hard on the brake i could feel it deflect a bit.
    Jetting is good as plugs look fine seemed to lay down a bit on the top end dont think advanced enough. have to either pull wires or restab Hei dist as cannot turn anymore due to cap interferance. Will do that before next weekend and see how it does in the 1/4 at our track. May try the Slicks for the 2nd day next weekend to see the potential of the motor.
    Many positive comments for the car, One older guy who was on the pit crew of a cummings dragster came over and told me I had the coolest car there.
    was a good weekend

8. Old28

Old28

Sounds like a real good first outing.:):)

Looks like 60-80 ft traction is going to be a challange with that big motor :D

I am sending a PM to you with a few questions.

Good luck with the local 1/4 mile race this weekend.

9. Well done - hook that engine up as I want to see pics of the front tires showing air. And the rail birds said that engine couldn't be done! I'm proud of you for making it happen. I'm thinking you might not have enough carb for the engine?

Lets see some pics from the track when you get the time.

Skip

10. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Checked over a few things today may have had too much timing as close to 45 Deg with a decent timing light. Set it back a bit. Man cant see it being carb size will try again this weekend in the 1/4 mile see how she winds out:D

11. Old28

Old28

Ya Al, 45 degrees is a little high, can't see that motor needing more than 36-38 degrees. Good luck this weekend.

12. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Am going to be able to do a good plug read also as will have time to get out and check as our return road will let me get off and to the side and let other racers go. I am thinking rich but is hard to tell with lot of idling to the pit area and such this weekend.

13. bobw

bobw

I dug out my Leo Santucci Chevy Six bible. I'll quote an ignition paragraph: "Racing applications use an advance curve with 10 degrees initial lead with full advance at 2,000 RPM. Total timing will vary depending on many factors and experimentation will be the final guide. Generally though it will fall between 32-38 degrees."
    Sure glad you had a fun outing. Looking forward to your results next time.

14. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Yeah bob I was a little high on the timing ,should be similar to a bb chev which makes sense . Talked to a buddie tonight who had lined up behind me and saw me make a pass. he said you need some more rubber as he could see my tracks out a long ways thinks at least 80 to 100 ft. Makes me feel good that its making really good power on the line.

15. Old28

Old28

Drop that timing to 36 degrees and strap on those 8" slicks (Pacific NW Vintage Dragster Style) and see what she will do.:D

Good luck this weekend.

16. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

No such luck entire weekend called due to rain.

17. Old28

Old28

Sorry to hear that Al, maybe in the next few weeks. can't rain forever :rolleyes:

This weather is why it ain't 108 deg most of the summer, gotta love it:D

18. Old28

Old28

Al, a few out there would like to know if you have been able to make any passes yet?:confused:

Just got back from my trip to Michigan and if the weather in your area was like it was in MI, lots of rain & thunder storms.:rolleyes:

19. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

Nothing yet other than the 1/8 with the 6 inch tires our first race day was rained out and no race here till August 10th. This is my busy season as I am a vehicle and building damage appraiser "Hail" "Hail" Rock and Roll !!!

20. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

had our race this last weekend , car ran pretty good faster every time best 12.6 103 mph , ran good all Saturday got into the 3rd round and broke out ,but running rich tall air close to 5000 ft , jetted down one size in front and 2 in the back seemed to be a lot better crisper sounding . Lined up and spun the tires but only a 12.8 run running funny missing think I blew the head gasket between 3 and 4 cyls took it home will start tearing down tonight to see what I can see. What do you guys used for a hd head gasket for a chev 6 cyl engine

21. Old28

Old28

Nice first time out with a 12.60 @ 103. If the corrected air was 5500 ft I am sure it needed to be a little leaner. Congratulation on a great outing.

You should be able to run Felpro Blue heads gaskets with no problem even with the high compression you are making. I ran these same gaskets in my 509 BBC with 13.5 CR and no O-rings and had no failures.

Was the 12.60 run on the 8" pie crust slicks or the L-78 bias tires?

22. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

All the runs were on the slicks, Its got a ton of torque as it will pull to over 3000 on the stall and brake, top end has a uncomfortable wiggle(May be the rear tires) but does not get worse just makes me nervous.
    I seem to have made a mistake on the head gasket as I did not not retorque and the manual says after a heat cycle to do so.
    3 and 4 have little to no comp think blown in between will tear it down this week and hope nothing else

23. bobw

bobw

Nice performance, canadianal. I hope I do as well next weekend.

Was the starting line very sticky? What size slicks?

24. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I had the 8 inch pie crust tires on it, they are not as sticky as my Hoosier but still pretty good I have a hd gasket ordered (should have been there to start with) as per the books recommendation and will retorque it this time. 1.70 60 ft times .
    Up here in the Hinterland sometimes getting parts like a hd 6 cyl head gasket takes up to 3 weeks. Hope its here sooner am going to get some smaller jets too as have 63s Front in it now and it still is rich but getting better.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  25. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

so that's how to blow a head gasket;)

Attached Files:

26. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

That's not very pretty, I hope that it did not hurt the iron?

27. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

nope looks fine

28. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

haven't posted for a while but we finally had out first race up here not much change tot he car except a set of 9.5 - 29.5 MTs they made a difference no burnout pull up to the line best of 11.8 at 108 mph
    very happy with that runs straight as a string

29. Old28

Old28

11.80 @ 108, that's a nice pass, I am sure you are real happy after all the work you put in on this car.

I ran a set of 11.50x15 M/T' Sportsman slicks on a SBC Front Motor dragster years ago and never make a burnout, they are soft rubber & soft sidewall and really don't need to be heated up.

30. bobw

bobw

That's really good performance. I hope I can be in that range when the strip is open in a couple weeks.