Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ancient East Coast Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 00 MACK, Apr 26, 2008.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Speaking of Fred Steele , anyone got early pics of the Paul Vigilant chopped merc before he got it?

2. glassguy

glassguy

i have one pic ill take a picture of it in a lil while..

3. thesupersized

thesupersized

When will it be out in the public again?!?! later version of the drivin deuces pick up. anyone have any other pictures of it in this version?!

Attached Files:

4. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Here is a scan of a polaroid I got a few weeks ago from Maggie McCormick (Red's exwife), and a few after being redone by Barry Atkins.

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  5. djvette65

djvette65

When I was a member of the 'Road Gents Hot Rod Club' in Brooklyn, NY, - in the early 60s, Bob was a member of the 'Road Customs', also of Brooklyn. That was one of the top clubs in the area.
    Anyone who has seen that convertible will remember the pristene red and white rolled and pleated interior.
    When I left Brooklyn, I lost touch with a lot of those guys. Quite a few years ago however, I was attending George Stone's New York Coliseum show (before it went to the Jacob Javitt Arena) and ran into Bob once again only this time as a spectator. It was great to see him again

6. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Here is a few more I got from HAMBER froghawk.. these are from 1981..

Attached Files:

7. HarveyWallbanger

HarveyWallbanger

Here's a brief set of photos of the Princess from '62, then '87-'92 when my dad restored it. It looks more or less the same today, with 20 year old paint.

More pictures: http://public.fotki.com/HarveyWallbanger/

Attached Files:

8. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

9. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I remember this car at the 1st Lead East in Flemington,NJ in 1983.

10. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Remember this from Macungie show about 20 years ago.

11. von birch

von birch

Redding and Lajoie " Blue Bird Special" = awesome.

12. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, thanks for all the great pic's

13. teddyp

teddyp

i remenber seeing it on display with the 55 chevy conv at afew jersery shows it was great do you have any pictures of them together? if so please show them

14. teddyp

teddyp

wasn,t he in the hauling gents?

15. Road Duster

Road Duster

As a 14 yr. old growing up in Stamford, CT. in the 50's&60's, I woud take the long way home from school, to check out the rods & kustoms in town.One day on the way to school I picked up a copy of Rodding & Restyling, it had Bill Neumen's A roadster on the cover. That did it for me I was hooked.Living on the westside I would walk over to the black road.(Named for the coal that would fall off the coal trucks in the 1920's) The Blackroads car club was on the west side. At night they would gather.Of course they were older then me, and had cars that I could only dream of. '36-'40 coupes, chopped Mer's chevy kustoms, with flatheads, nailheads, cad. v8's old's v8's (s/b chevys were not in the junkyards yet) Westside was were many bodyshops where and I often saw kustoms being built. Some of the cars I saw in town were the Kenny Bro's '55 crown vic., Karcher's '50 Ford, Joe Boccuzzi'sChevy, Russ Grady,s Olds Jay Ritter's '39 ford, John Delelle '40 coupe Jerry Herold's A coupe. most of them in the( little pages). Then came high school, the parking lot was a car show in itself. In high school I formed the Road Dusters car club.We wouid go to the Hartford Autorarma.At night up the hill to the White Tower, get a burger and stand on the bridge to watch the guys drag on Rt.95. Then sundays it was Dover Drag Strip.One time on a trip to the Autorama,we saw Jerry Lettieri's beautiful '33 tub on display the sign read( are you ready for this)$845.00.We cruised all summer in that baby. If it was not for my interest in cars I don't know what the hell I would have done in life. For a kid into cars, Stamford, Ct. was a great place to growup. In '74 I opened my own shop in Pawling N.Y. HERITAGE-AUTOMOTIVE.COM Thanks for reading. THE ROAD DUSTER.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Found this photo in post #260, "Alley Oop" and "Hellzapoppin", if I ever finish the restoration the photo could be restaged some day. [​IMG]

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

what a great story! Thanks for sharing that!! Southern New England; especially CT is so rich in the history of hot rodding. With all these cars that were running around; it makes you wonder where they all went or if theyre sitting tucked away in some garage in one of these smaller city-towns?

18. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Road Duster:

Seeing as you were from Stamford and were around the Black Road Auto Club then you might remember Jerry Herold and his 1931 Ford. He was a member of the Black Road Auto Club and his Ford was powered by a 325hp buick race engine. It was mounted on a '32 chasis. It was featured at the 1960 Hartford Autorama. I probably already posted this here already but here it goes

Jerry-herold-1931-ford.jpg

19. Road Duster

Road Duster

Yes, I knew Jerry. He was a good friend and a great guy (every one liked Jerry) He passed away about 4-5 yr's ago.He's coupe was blue with yellow striping.I worked with him in a metal shop.Twenty yrs later he still had a picture of it on he's tool box

20. jimvette59

jimvette59

Hi, I read this thread from the beginning and love to see some of the old cars from magazines and shows i remember so well. I built the car in my avatar in the early 70s and sold it to some body in NJ in the late early 90s. I sure would like to know what happened to it. VINTAGE TIN OF LONG ISLAND.

21. What happened to the kustoms ?

22. Road Duster

Road Duster

In real life, Salt, rust, muscle cars, and then Vietnam.

23. 62dartman

62dartman

SUBSCRIBED! EEEAAAASSSTTTT Coast!!!!

24. No,I mean this thread is getting away from kustoms.

25. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

yup :(

26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Gonna bump this so's Barry Atkins can find it...just cruise back a couple of pages, and it'l come up, but the whole thread is pretty good,as well.

27. djvette65

djvette65

Hi, Farmergirl

I have been searching high and low for a photo or two of a 60 Corvette that was rather radically changed. It had a rounded front and concave panels behind the rear wheels. It was pearl white and owned by a fellow named Bobby Jacobs in the Brooklyn, NY area in the early 60s. Maybe you've seen it in those 'little' books.
    Thanks kindly if you know of it

dj

28. BTT
    Dave any pictures of the Aldrich Ford finished ? getting cold around here I need some Flames !!

29. glassguy

glassguy

i havnt seen it since it left my shop quite a while ago.. i think it got back burnerd...

30. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Is Barry on here???