Register now to get rid of these ads!

An views on carbs and intakes for my traditional sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrousnutter, Dec 1, 2013.

1. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hi, im throwing a few ideas around in my head for my '51 styleline that ive fitted a sbc to. Im over in the UK so a bit limited to what I can lay my hands on.
    Right I have a goodwrench 350 small block chevy, its a hencho mexicano but run well before removal from its previous vehicle so im fine to use, im about to give it a mild port job to give a bit of help.., I have got some lovely period finned valve covers that have no oil filler and have a late 60's quadrajet cast iron intake with oil filler just infront of thermostat housing.
    Now I like the look of the quadrajet intake and it allows me to use the finned covers I have, so is there anything I can do to modify, port or gasflow the intake and what carb would people recommend, do I go for a quadrajet or an edelbrock with a conversion plate. I will be getting a modified camshaft to give a bit more life to the engine.

Any views or help would be greatly appreciated! thanks Jason..

2. A good cheap upgrade to a Quadrajet I have found is a regular ol' Holley spreadbore with mechanical secondaries. You don't even need to step it up to a Double Pumper. I've seen these everywhere at swap meets and craigslist for about 40-50 bucks. They give a great snap, and since it's a spreadbore, you won't need any sort of conversion plate. Plus, it gets halfway decent mileage if you don't stomp on it and open up the big secondaries too often!

3. carbking

carbking

The Rochester Q-Jet, depending on which one you have, is an excellent carb.

The Carter TQ 9800s is a spread-bore replacement that works great on Chevrolet engines unless you are circle-track racing.

And there are a few that prefer the Holley spread-bore.

If fuel economy has any importance to you, either the Carter or the Rochester would be the way to go.

If you want a square-bore, don't even think about the adapter; change the manifold!!!

Jon.

4. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

yes I know I dont have a carb yet, but im kinda tied to the manifold to use the valve covers I have, whats the best q-jet to go for in a mildly tuned/cammed sbc?

cheers Jason

5. carbking

carbking

If you think you will use a Q-Jet, then acquire a copy of the book on Q-Jets by Cliff Ruggles. Should answer all of your questions.

Jon.

6. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Ok thankyou I'll have a look on amazon ;)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you want to be traditional a 65 on back Rochester 4GC and matching intake and will work with your valve covers.

8. i'd look for an Edelbrock C4B and then use an Edelbrock 1405 or 1406