Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An Unknown Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 21, 2022.

1. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gettyimages-166756279-2048x2048.jpg
    ATLANTA, GA — September 6, 1948: Hal Robson, driving a 1946 Kurtis/Duray for owner Ross Page, finished fourth in the AAA Indy Car race at Lakewood Speedway. (Photo by ISC Images & Archives via Getty Images)

B_NsZYWUoAAsGyS (1).jpg
    Ted Horn #1 and Hal Robson #26 battle through the sweeping corners of the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds - 1948

Found a few more once I knew the manufacturer and the driver's involved.

~Peter

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That car is straight up rad.

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

There's an early Kurtis at the Petersen with a plexi headrest. I was told that Kurtis tried the plexi part thinking that it would improve peripheral visibility, but didn't like it once it was completed and never did another one.
    I was also told that it was powered by a supercharged Miller built by Leon Duray.
    I assume that it's the same car. It's now painted solid maroon.

4. @50Fraud it is the same car. There are several photos in the link I posted above and it mentions it being donated to the Petersen.

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  5. That tail though... baby got back!

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That car looks absolutely svelte compared to the "lump" next to it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Thor1, Stogy, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man watch your elbow!

Stogy, Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. KKrod

KKrod
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you imagine "wheeling" that roadster around on a dirt track?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    Stogy likes this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes

Stogy likes this.
  10. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I only met Fred Agabashian in his later years, although I talked to him quite a bit after I met him. One hell of a nice guy & a real gentleman !! He was the kind of person who "Put his pants on one leg at a time"! & always had time for the "little people"!

Sancho, rod1 and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What an awesome beast...I know why the fella at the wheel is smiling...with the names behind its existence how could you not be in a state of euphoria sitting in it let alone be able to pilot it...

A dangerous time in the sport but also one of it's most elegant...and it's still with us...to cool...

The influence to Hotrod and even Custom for that matter is highly evident...Frank was a truly influential man with a very high bar with his knowledge, vision and workmanship...

Great Thread and thanks to all those connecting the dots to this Art that goes...

rod1, Sancho and KKrod like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's another beast of a Hotrod that really borrows inspiration from this lanky swooper...I have to snoop...:)

Sancho likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

weinberg2.jpg

5-25-XL.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...g-lakester-unusual-build.380935/#post-4132999

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/The_Bob_Weinberg_Roadster

:rolleyes:...Ah yes inspiration is a beautiful thing...this is the Bob Weinberg Lakester/Roadster...who inspired who really...no matter both are truly Art in my opinion...it was actually labeled a 32 Ford and built upon a 32 Ford frame I believe...

The bottom of two images was shared by Hamber @Lowlife at the Hamb Thread at the link above where more details exist...

It actually was a pretty incredibly detailed very sophisticated build as well and still exists in a Stealthy Black cofiguration...

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

One of the most under appreciated hot rods ever built...

15. WOW- how did I EVER miss that thread :eek::eek::eek:!!!

Wish the pics weren't gone into "photobucket pergatory":(

Stogy likes this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a couple more but not extensively covered here but for some single pic cameos but is was roadworthy and featured in magazines, books and Kustomrama has a good blurb on it at the link I shared...I'd have loved to see them on the track together...that would have been cool...

Sancho likes this.
  17. sololobo

sololobo

What fantastic history revealed here. This car is a long low gazelle, the image of it racing with the more traditional stubby look of the usual racer really shows how streamlined the beauty is. I am thrilled by these early race machines, thanx gang for all the info on this stunner.

18. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Incredible car for so many reasons. It looks fantastic but, the engineering under that skin to pull it off - in 1946 no less. I'm inspired - which is exactly the point!