Register now to get rid of these ads!

An oldtimer speaks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mudslinger, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I talked to an old Hot Rodder and Customizer that I have known since I was a teen.
    We just talked shop some and he went into his past experiences.
    His first car a Model A five window in 1957. Bought it for $150.
    Cleaned it up drove it to death and painted it and sold it for $350.
    He said I thought I had all the money in the world and from then on he flipped cars and did body work.
    He had a body shop later and told me in the early sixties he would paint a car for $60.
    He said that was a weeks work. All the rust repair and materials included and I made money off of it.
    Its not been all that long ago and look at our inflation.
    Just thought I would share this.

2. I can remember those day's. Gas was 18-24 cents a Gallon and a gas war ment you could get Regular as low as 15 cents for 1 day. Then it would go back up to 22 cents a Gal. Wages were $0.75 to $1.25 depending on where you were in the Pecking order. Rent was $40.oo a month for a 2 bedroom house with a Garage. I bought my 50 Merc 2 Door and drove it home for $35.oo. The only big changes I've noticed is Kids in general aren't as Friendly or interested in Cars. I guess I can't blame them, What's a Honda car going to be worth in 50 years?
    The Wizzard

3. it's funny how prices can be linked to the price of a gallon of gasoline. When gas was 35¢ a gallon louvers were about 35¢ each. The minimum wage was 35¢ an hour too. There are lots of prices that have changed along with the price of gas. Right now the price of gas is about half the minimum wage, but I bet it'll even up before long.

I could be wrong. I often am.

4. old beet

old beet

Phil, thats the way I always price my louvers. 1 gallon=1 louver.OLDBEET