Register now to get rid of these ads!

an interesting steering wheel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Nov 4, 2012.

1. i was in vegas last week attending the sema show as well as taking in the nhra nationals at lvms. we made our rounds to some local hot rod places, one of which was counts kustoms. he had a nice gmc coe hauler parked outside, here is a shot of the steering wheel, anyone seen one like this before? i have seem gm coes in the past none of which had wheels like this, the guy there thought it was original, anyone know?
    [​IMG]

2. kennkat

kennkat

Yes, I have seen them stock in a 1940 chevy Coupe. A customer of mine in Petaluma has one in his.

3. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

an assesory wheel,speed handle of sorts

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I need to make this my last beer, I can't focus enough on it to see what it is.

5. kennkat

kennkat

IT IS GENUINE GM FACTORY, available, I KNOW in the 1940 chevy.. NOT AFTERMARKET...
    Looking at the dash that looks a lot like a 40's GM car to me...

6. henry29

henry29

I believe that's the 47 chevy cab over from count's kustoms

[​IMG]

7. henry29

henry29

guess I should have scrolled over a little and read the rest, didn't realize the pic was so big.

8. kennkat

kennkat

:eek: Me Toooo!:eek: But no wonder it resembles a "1940's GM Car".....:):):)
    Let me say it again, :) It came stock in at least some 1940 CHEVY Coupes, I have recently worked on a 1940 chevy Coupe in Petaluma that has a 100% stock never touched interior... :):):) look :):):) http://www.desertclassics.com/Chev40sedan.html

Attached Files:

9. :eek: sorry, lots of my pics turned out this way, time for a new camera i guess

10. Kinky6

Kinky6

Right, it was an optional part in 1940. I don't know if you could "order" it on a build from the factory, but the Chevy dealer could sell you one as a Chevy part from the accessory catalog.

They had a similar one for '41 where the spinner section could be moved from about the 4o'clock to 8o'clock part of the wheel, instead of being fixed at the 9o'clock position.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

most if not all accessories were installed at the dealer back then, not on the assembly line.

12. mito Alonzo

mito Alonzo

I've heard people call this steering wheels is "Fatman"

I have a Forty Chevy sedan and wish I could find one for my car.

Thanks

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They're mistaken... A 'fatman' wheel was a foldup item in a Center Door Model T.

Like calling a visor a 'baseball hat'.

14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Wanted: 40-41 Accessory Spinner Wheel. Anyone got one of these around? PM me.
    I want one for a project. Im not a collector or re-seller ebay junky, I just want one to put in a hot rod.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

15. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

kinda like this one.

Attached Files: