Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects An Exercise in Practicality - 1939 Ford Early Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RainierHooker, Mar 22, 2015.

1. vwdave30

vwdave30

Three looks pretty clean and the trim flows better than the forth

2. it's called a Kustom for a reason.... The forth picture does is for me (maybe the hood molding just little longer) I been looking at my Dan Post books also... I like were your going Evan. Lincoln buttons I don't think fit this build for way your going for...37 Desoto are great (hard to find)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    gwhite likes this.
  3. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I had a '39 tudor back in '58.
    Now I have a '37 tudor with blackwalls and hubcaps.
    I like your house, it suits your car.
    What year is the house?

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Took the car out this morning to run errands (hah! It is a practical car!) and it runs fine, until she comes on the mains. Then she loads up and falls on her face.

Looks like we still have some jetting to do...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427737784.043469.jpg

Gonna drop the main jets down to .043" and see where that gets me.

Gomojo55 likes this.
  5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Oh, and @eaglebeak my house was built 1907/08. Yet another of my endless projects.

6. Torchie

Torchie

My vote is for pic 3 (For what it's worth). When did they start shaving door handles off of customs? I don't think that the Lincoln buttons would do much for the overall look.
    Since you are considering 37 Desoto Bumpers $$$$$ . Why not consider the 40 Lincoln split bumpers$$$$$$$$$$$.LOL Looking great.
    Torchie

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, my absolute dream pair of bumpers would be a '41 Zephyr up front and a '40 Merc rear. But we're not even gonna talk about how empty my bank account would be if I went down that road.

I only mentioned the DeSoto's because a friend of mine has a set that need chrome but could probably be had with a trade deal. While they are iconic for the period I'm trying to represent, I'm not quite sold on them. They just don't say "aero" to me. If the car were a '36 or '37, I'd already have them in my garage.

As for the Lincoln door buttons, that's a no. Besides the aforementioned notion that they really don't door much for the looks, they are pretty complicated and don't really pass the "normal Joe customizer" test. While they were available in the period, they were pretty high end and you don't really see them too much early on.

8. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

When did they start shaving door handles off of customs? I don't think that the Lincoln buttons would do much for the overall look.

The reason I suggested the Lincoln buttons was that my cousin Chuck's '36 three window was pretty much where you are going as a late 40s mild custom. Lowered a bit in front, more in rear, removed spare tire, skirts, and those buttons. That was in 1949 when our Grandmother gave him the stock car when she replaced a new '49 Ford.

9. Wow! I love the late 30s sedans as customs! If I can offer 2 cents (Canuck coin is worth even less!), I think the side spear needs to be a tad longer than that in the 4th pic - but I like the traditional approach.

a5.jpg

Dave

10. Torchie

Torchie

Interesting Terry.
    I have posted something on Riks CCC forum in regards to when the practice of shaving handles came into play. Just curious I guess.
    Thanks for the info.
    Torchie

11. belair

belair

You win no matter what you do the car. Congrats.

BigO likes this.
  12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Seems like the consensus is the third or fourth option, but personally I like the second. It just removes all the mandatory Ford badging while keeping all that 1939 art deco personality. Third is smoothest, yes, but also the most boring. At least the fourth makes it interesting. :) You're the lucky guy that gets to make the call. That is a great car.

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks guys, I'm really torn between the number 3 and 4 trim versions. I might just have to find a spare set of upper spears to shorten (yes, I'll leave it a bit longer than my rendering @rodncustomdreams) and then swap between the two on the actual car. Its crazy how much the car's percieved proportions change between a picture and real life. I'm not really looking at painting the car until the distant future, so I'll have plenty of time to waffle.

For now I'm just gonna get the motor dialed in and drive the car. For the summer, I'll fiddle with it as parts and time become available.

The car did complete one mission though. Spending the last couple weekends on this thing gave me the motivation to start hammering on my Model A again. Lakester and a period tow-car, I can't think of anything better...

Model T1 and gwhite like this.
  14. Rem

Rem

Love what you're doing with this. I wonder if the short hood side trim looks a little odd because you still show the centre spear and front ornament in place - wouldn't that have been the first to go, and then the side piece would be the 'leading' trim (apart from the grille, but that's in a different plane)?

15. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I think the addition of spotlights will also make a difference in how the spears flow.

16. way to go Evan, all good things come with time.... your heading down the right Kustom Road...

17. You can always run whitewalls on one side and the black walls on the other to please the masses........please, I'm joking - your own car - your own choice - your own fun

18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well its been a while, so here's an update on where the Tudor is...

I sent out the flipper caps for chrome, and could hardly contain myself when I got them back.
    [​IMG]

And then the next weekend we made it to Cawley field for the annual 'not a fly-in' fly-in.
    [​IMG]
    The dude was beside himself. Customs, classics, hot rods, and AIRPLANES
    [​IMG]

Since then we've been pretty busy 'round the house and at work. So aside from getting the car running tip-top...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and fixing a few thing here and there there hasn't been much "customizing" getting done. Instead, I've just put the ol' girl to work as my commuter at least two or three days a week.
    [​IMG]

I've now put almost 600 miles on the car, just here to there, and getting more adverturous and far-reached as the days go by.

Old-Soul, Model T1, Outback and 4 others like this.
  19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

And here's the ol' thing around town:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And at home:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    klicker, Old-Soul, prefect20 and 9 others like this.
  20. F-head

F-head

love your 39
    saw you going down I 5 a couple of months back near Ft Lewis
    looked great going down the road
    nice work
    Bruce

21. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I gave the car a minor shave last night...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434026615.656827.jpg

I guess now it's officially a 'custom', right?

I just popped off the whiskers and Ford and DeLuxe badges for now. I might pull the lower spears today and see where that takes us.

jocktherock and Model T1 like this.
  22. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

That'd be me on the daily commute. Thanks for the compliments.

23. Gomojo55

Gomojo55

Maybe it's just the picture but what are the plugs gapped at? They look pretty narrow in the pic. If so, I imagine that isn't helping the loading problem at all. Just a thought.

24. madfish

madfish

25. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great little Ford--I like it as it is in the minor shave above-on the money to these old eyes. Also love the pics of the little guy !

Model T1 likes this.
  26. Model T1

Model T1

Little guys and old cars make me smile!

Dick Stevens likes this.
  27. Former Tacoma( I escaped))). boy says , looks nice!!!

28. cometman98006

cometman98006

Love the car and what you are doing to it. Are you sure they will let anything that nice on the streets of Tacoma?

29. Model T1

Model T1

What's the Packard looking grille doing on there?
    I love the original headlites. I need to get a set of whatever is needed to swap mine back. It has the JC Whitney style with sealed beams. Ugly!
    imageedit_8_7833801038.png