Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects An Amateur Chops a Brookville Coupe & More

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bcap55, Nov 26, 2018.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

Really like your work. Your fabrication skills are excellent. I've been a fabricator for over 40 years and am looking at the air compressor bracket and thinking that since you cut the notch for the spark plug you may have created a weak spot. How about a leg down from the front edge of your bracket to the motor mount bolt on the block. I've seen some incredibly heavy air pump brackets fail under the stress of a tight belt and the starting and stopping of the compressor. Not being critical, I'm an over builder.

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think we should just call him "Hack". What do you think?

loudbang and j hansen like this.
  3. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I actually anticipated having to add more bracing to the compressor bracket, but after mounting the compressor I was surprised how sturdy this bracket is. The piece with the spark plug cutout is 5/16" thick, I can grab the compressor and try to bend and twist the bracket but there is almost no movement. I'm confident in my welds and I feel that this will work fine as is.
    I do appreciate your input.

loudbang likes this.
  4. SDS

SDS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work at a firearms company with some top notch handle turners and have to say - that is amazing!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    loudbang and j hansen like this.
  5. SDS

SDS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice trans tunnel!
    Did you give clearance for removal of the trans-to-engine bolts, or are you relying on the trans tunnel being removable?

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I didn't consider leaving room to get to the trans bolts. My main concern was to keep the trans tunnel as small and compact as possible. I was worried that a larger tunnel would take up to much foot space and make it hard and uncomfortable to use a firewall mounted throttle pedal. The trans tunnel will be bolted in so it can be removed.

loudbang likes this.
  7. SDS

SDS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the thickness of the steel you use to fabricate the tunnel?

8. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I used 18 gauge. My slip roller had a hard time forming the cone shapes, If I was to do this again I would use 20 gauge.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Anderson

Anderson

Super impressive build!!

loudbang likes this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I built my floor and tunnel out of 10ga. Hand formed over an oxy bottle. Crude by most standards, but it’s ridged 6D4A3398-1F6E-407B-834A-90CF37F548A1.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  11. SDS

SDS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see that you used a 30-in steering column - do you think your steering shaft angle was would have been cured by a 32-in column? In my case, with a small block Chevy, I think I have more clearance around the steering shaft because my engine is more narrow and my exhaust ports don't stick out like the Olds. I'm 6 ft 6 in and am trying to squeeze every inch out of my seat mounting situation to get room in the passenger compartment. With the price of everything going through the roof right now, I'm considering buying a steering column without mocking it up... Some people say to get a 30-in, some people say to get a 32-in.
    Thoughts?

12. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I don't think a longer column would help with the steering shaft angle. I'm 5 ft 8 in. and I like to drive while sitting close to the steering wheel. A longer column would have placed the steering wheel to far back and to high for me.
    I followed other peoples advice and set up the seat and pedals in the car and used the pvc pipe to test different positions until I found what was most comfortable for me. Then I measured to find what column length I needed. This also allowed me to find the best spot to go through the firewall. You will have an easier time getting past a the SBC head than an Olds.
    Take the time to do a mockup you don't want to wind up with a column that doesn't fit or makes driving uncomfortable.

loudbang likes this.
  13. SDS

SDS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the advice - I work in product development and see the current supply chain issues & shortages first hand (before it will affect consumers). The price of Limeworks columns has nearly doubled and I'm already running into issues with getting my hands on a lot of the parts I need. By Christmas, this problem will be dire.
    As such I'm racing to get the parts to complete this and may just buy a 30" column.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

I've been making progress on the coupe build, but haven't had time to keep this thread up to date.
    I had clearance problems connecting the fuel lines to the in tank electric fuel pump. I started another thread a while ago asking for advice on what to do. Here is a link to that. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/32-ford-gas-tank-fuel-line-clearance-problems.1239114/
    Since the work I did to fix the problem is part of this build thread, I'll include the photos here also.
    There wasn't much room between the pump inlet and outlet and the trunk floor to make any connections as you can see.
    IMG_1774.JPG
    I decided that the trunk floor above the pump had to be cut out and moved forward for more room.
    IMG_1781.JPG IMG_1785.JPG
    You can see how close the fittings are to the trunk floor.
    IMG_1791.JPG
    Here is the cutout piece moved forward a few inches.
    IMG_1794.JPG
    I filled in the sides and extended the top to the rear of the trunk.

IMG_1802.JPG
    I followed everyone's advice and added a round access hole for the pump. I made a simple round cover plate with a stepped section around the edge to locate it in the hole. I made a press die out of 1/8" plate to form the stepped detail in the cover plate and smashed it with my 20 ton press.
    IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1805.JPG
    I used a piece of flat stock to make a cross bar to hold the cover in place.
    IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1813.JPG

Graham08, charleyw, RICH B and 13 others like this.