Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Amy's 1925 T Bucket Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Amy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Amy, it is always hard to try to tell someone else how they should build THEIR car, but I think you are making a good decision in building a whole new frame for your car. In the end it will make your life so much easier.

As for the dimensions, it all depends on how you want your car to sit. The frame in the top picture is from my Son's T bucket, so it sits a little high in the back, like a T bucket usually does. But the frame in the second picture is from my old 23 modified, and I wanted it as low as possible, hence the higher kickup in the back.

What I like to do is set the body on some blocks at the height I want it to end up at, then I prop the motor in front of the firewall where everything clears and it looks good, and then I put some old tires in place where they look ok, and then I sit back in a chair and stare at the car for a long time. If there is something that looks odd I move stuff around until it looks good to me.

The next thing I do is I build a mockup frame out of 2 x 4 lumber. Wood is easy to work with and cheap, plus you can cut it up and modify it until you get it to be what you need. As a starting point, the front crossmember is usually about 24 inches and the back one is usually about 27 inches (for the body you have) but that is subject to your own set up,

Once the frame is built out of wood sit back in the chair again and stare some more (I actually just like to sit down a lot :eek:) and see how it appeals to you with the wooden frame in the picture. Allow some extra room at the radiator because things always get tight there once you start putting the radiator and fan in place.

Your car looks really good the way it is sitting, all you need to do is make a good strong frame to support it all. We're all pulling for you here. :)

Don

2. Arthur and Don have given you sound advice. The T frame does not have enough channel ( the height of the frame rail ) to support the weight and torque of the Y-Block motor even if you box it. You could use a Model A frame and box it, but starting from scratch with 2 X 4 tubing allows you to "build to suit". Follow Don's advice and mock it up, sit back and move stuff around until you get the look YOU want. Remember, "traditional" means using original or original type parts ( depending on the decade you are shooting for) and your imagination. What you have looks good, keep at it, you'll make it!

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Building a "safe" car is more important than going "traditional". The first time you hit the thottle hard and see the frame twist - you'll see what I'm talking about.

4. 117harv

117harv

I would keep and use the T frame. You could box the front and fab up a K or X member that welds or bolts in. Nothing wrong with tube rails, but it would be nice to see a T with an origonal frame for a change.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Amy IMHO going with the new frame setup is the best choice. The original frame was not designed to handle the torque of an engine like your Y-block and trying to use it would probably cause more headaches down the road. Build a new frame that is capable of handling the Y-block and sell the original frame to help offset the costs.

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Gotta put my vote in for going with new stuff. You could make the stocker work, but it would always be "not quite" as stiff as it could be. The work that would be necessary to make it work would be about double that of making a good, new frame. Do you have an idea of what you want this car to look like? Anybody's historic car perhaps? I find it pretty easy to figure out frame kick and wheelbase and such when I know what someone is looking for, and what they are finalized on for suspension.

7. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Yep, Ditch the T frame, build a new one. Much easier and safer.....you can download free plans here on the HAMB....

8. Looking good keep at it it will be done in no time

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After seeing all the "ditch the T frame it won't be safe" comments I went out and measured the T rails that I have stashed out on the trailer. The wall thickness of those rails is the same or heavier than the normal tubing wall thickness that gets used on most T bucket frame rails.
    I would agree that the rails need to be boxed but a couple of strips of the right width 3/16 cold roll should work fine for that and not be a budget breaker nor a time killer.
    It would probably be a lot less work to run to the steel yard and buy 150.00 worth of 2x4 tubing and build a frame but I don't know if it would end up being that much stronger or any safer.

10. maddkutter

maddkutter
    from Aurora, Co

Super job KUDOS to ya! I LOVE Y-block Fords! Wish I had one for my T, gonna put one in my wifes '34 Pickup build. I just got the radiator mounted in my T now I just gotta wait out our Colorado weather! Here is a couple pics. THE MADDKUTTER

Attached Files:

11. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Nice build thread. I have a 292 in my project A modified. I bought a frame from Ron Pope Motorsports. I thought about building one but I know my limitations. He has excellent prices, he built mine to spec and delivered to my door was 990.00 it is an A style with kick up in the rear and a 4" stack in the front, very rugged, perfectly square and level...I mean not out at all. He has a website if you google the above name. He will also CNC cut any pattern you send him, reasonable prices and one heckuva nice guy!

12. Amy

Amy

Okay guys.. It's decided... I am keeping my T frame and putting a flathead in it... I am here at the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion with some of the best race cars, also the t-bucket MOON EYES car, it's running a 292 with a 9" rear end only sitting on a 1924 T-frame and never having a problem.. Also! Elmer Snyder told me that the model T frames are stronger then the model A frames because of the metel they used! He also runs a T frame on his dragster! So I have been talked into keeping my original frame and I couldn't be happier! I thought that keeping my frame would be nothing more of a dream, and for a legend of drag racing to give me the thumbs up I couldn't be more happy!

Also I finely now know what colors I'm Going with! I know it's kinda far from now but I'm still excited!! That's just say I'm naming her The Cherry Bomb!!

Tell me what you guys think!!

13. __________________________________________________________

This is going to be a real fun build. T-buckets are my favorite. Having a steel body will make for a great car and something that will be worth more money. Old school build-- I love it!

"Real hot rods don't have fenders"

14. Amy how in hell did I miss this thread?.......... Simply love the idea of a flattie and with boxing your frame you will not have trouble with the DMV as the numbers match!!! Here thats worth its weight in gold. I know that if Bill or D has anything to do with it it will have one fine flathead and you will have no trouble keeping up with traffic. Hope to see you and D at Eagle in Oct!!!! Good luck girl and go getum!!!!!!!!!
    am subscribed......

15. GMM

GMM
    from Buhl, ID

Looks like you got a really good start. Something fairly simple, that's really nice on a first build. I cant wait to see more progress pics!

16. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Love It!!

17. Amy

Amy

Thanks!! Im excited to get going on it again!!!!

18. Amy

Amy

Ok guys, I could not be more excited! I'm here at the swameet and I got a tranny and headlight!! Now on the mission for my struts!!

Getting that much closer to getting her on the road!!

19. Amy I think I may have some parts for you if you want them, flathead stuff and clutch and brake pedal assy of of a 36 PU..........hey it was great towing you at Eagle...............Carl

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

It may of been the fact you were behind the wheel Don :D

Good luck with your project Amy.

21. Amy

Amy

I would love any all all part lol:) how much were you thinking for the stuff you have?:)

Your help at Eagle was amazing! We couldn't have done it with out you guys!!

Also did you get your tranny fixed?

22. I'll make a list of the stuff I think you might be able to use and pm ya..........

23. :eek:Oh ya I hear that

24. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

just a little inspiration:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Good to see progress Amy. Keep at it, you're going to have a neat car when you get done.

Fun seeing you guys at Eagle Field. You seemed to be having a good time running the Doll.:D

26. Amy

Amy

My gosh! That is so cool! I can not wait until my car looks like that!!!
    Thank you for that!

27. Amy

Amy

That would be great! Thank you!

28. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Ill be watching this one

29. sent ya a pm......

30. Flattie powered T bucket...? Sounds fine to me!

[​IMG]