Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMPCO fined coil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick's Beaters, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

I picked up a 6v finned aluminum coil and want to see if I can fit a 12v coil into it. Does anyone know anything about the AMPCO 6 volt aircooled ignition coil?

Attached Files:

2. skunx1964

skunx1964

i know that it looks sweet, thats about it.

3. LowFat48

LowFat48

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Sure. Pry off the thin sheet metal band at the top. Clamp the housing in a vise upside down over a trash can. Use a torch or Map gas plumbers torch to gently warm the housing evenly until the tar melts. The guts will fall out leaving the finned housing. If it's not over a trash can, it will make a big mess. I learned the hard way the first time I tried it.

I put some water inside and inserted the new coil letting it over flow. I marked the inside level when the coil was removed. Some 5 minute epoxy was mixed and poured in up to the mark. When the coil was inserted the epoxy stopped at the top and I didn't have to clean up any overflowing epoxy. You could probably drill and tap the housing for a set screw but this has worked for me. The coil in this one is actually an electronic ignition coil.

[​IMG]

They made some with a rubber boot that covered the primary terminals probably for boats. I've never been able to find one with a good boot.

5. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Thanks guys,
    LowFat48 and tommy.

Got the post saved but it seems pretty staight forward. The tar was going to be a problem but I'll be using the torch tonight! I will use the epoxy verses the set screw, as I would think it would give a cleaner look.

Tommy, the AMPCO pick helped out alot too. I will try to get some color back on the tag eventually and needed a reference.

God bless the HAMB