Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage America's Most Beautiful Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 6, 2023.

1. The was at least one HAMBer judging this last weekend......several actually.

And I love Cobys coupe

Special Ed and hrm2k like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

New criteria for sure, that panel of judges know what real hot rodders dig the most.
    And it ain't chrome and polish.
    I like the car, love the interior but I really dig this shot!

upload_2023-2-6_12-45-53.png

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I hope that that's a Watts link lower bar, under the tail pipe...and not just a tiny little (short and small in diameter) Panhard bar !

Mike

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love Coby’s coupe. Every color leads you to something cool.

210superair and Tman like this.
  6. It is indeed a Watts link. We have some chassis shots that show the details. It’s very well engineered, and very cool. We’ll check in with Jack to see if we are allowed to post any photos now.

Outback, Stu, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jackie Howerton was involved!!!

Just Gary likes this.
  8. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Went on Friday and had a great time. Even the stuff I didn't understand was incredibly well executed. It's sensory overload. In line going in we were sandwiched between some guys from NZ and two couples from different areas of England. Hilarious how many gray haired guys in black shirts and Levi's were there including these two knuckleheads in the Suede Palace. PXL_20230203_231053005B.jpg

Outback and anthony myrick like this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Would you consider the Hollenbeck roadster homebuilt? I think he had his friends help with some fabrication in exchange for painting their car.

Outback, Sancho, Dan Hay and 4 others like this.
  10. That "beauty" criteria is why now they have them sit in the car for a bit while judging. to see if the builders actually took into account how someone sits in the car to actually drive it.

I know pictures just never really do this show justice on how much sensory overload it is. I thought my grandpa and I had a decent idea of what we were in for when we hauled Taboo down in 2015. We had been doing Portland for years. We were both completely clueless when we showed up for set up. The whole experience being there with Taboo and my grandpa is still a top highlight.

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess the prevailing wind sings necessary evils. Right on, we need big shows that get peer reviews. For those who run these circuits the goals that they challenged themselves to deserves to be seen and recognized. Who better than those who inspire? Maybe they don't inspire everyone but enough that their opinions are worthy and welcome. Being in Detroit our Autorama was always a mark on the calendar because the surrounding area is not conducive to hot rod pursuits outside the shop/garage. Get there, get inspired, sort a problem thru observation, seek a restoration detail. Add to that a buncha kool shit and bumping into all the usual suspects. Long live the indoor show, the bigger the better.

Fuckin eh, glad I'm not the only one saying big balls on the coupe. Huge. Inimitable. ​

Just Gary likes this.
  12. My mind says I should dislike the coupe but my heart says Fuck yea!! So I guess I like it…

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not for everybody, but I LOVE this car. Crazy 60's race car paint, lots of heat under the hood, I dig it.

-Abone.

stripe34.jpg

14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I’m sure the build was executed to very high standards but I prefer an earlier time frame. Regarding the paint the car looksto be taped for cut lines...are they going to shorten it? LOL
    Paint scheme reminds me of a ‘29 Ruxton.

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen. Dig Coby’s coupe! Acting like a true hoodlum.

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I dig the coupe reminds me of the cuda mopar did to showcase all their colors. looks ok.jpg

SS327 likes this.
  17. The 34 coupe just straight up teabagged everyone and I love it. Every time it popped up on social media I would have to look at it like I was seeing it for the first time again.

Magfiend likes this.
  18. cretin

cretin

Funny how this thread about "America's most beautiful roadster" seems to be mostly about Coby's coupe, but I digress.
    I have heard that there are some cool things about the winning roadster, but I found it disappointing that the display for the car showcased none of it. It looked mostly like another black '32. I didn't look at a build book or anything, but at a show like that, the features should be showcased. I was only there at setup on Thursday, and on Sunday, but I only saw the car all closed up.
    I generally like seeing cars this way, but again, at a show like that we need to see what was done. I wish it was presented better.
    However, I felt that way about all the contestants this year. I felt there was no "Stand out"
    The most stand out for me was the Swilco roadster even though the car is different from my typical style.

Since Coby's coupe is such a topic, it was never my style in bare metal. The paint changed nothing for me. I'm not into it, but not barf bag level either. I suppose I'm indifferent. I can see why people love it and hate it.

tractorguy, lippy and rod1 like this.
  19. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

20. At least it was a real roadster this year. Not some ones figment of imagination of a roadster.

21. You got that right. I do like the direction of the builds that were in competition. It's heading in the right direction finally. No real soap dishes on billet wheels for a change. And the people who dislike Coby's coupe are the same people that hate chopped cars. Real hotrods are in your face!!!!

57 Fargo likes this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm impressed with us... We discussed a car that some people love and some people hate... and no one called anyone else a name or bagged on someone else's opinion or brought up some other lingering bullshit or...

Fucking awesome y'all.

Outback, Sancho, pwschuh and 14 others like this.
  23. Rckt98

Rckt98

Give it time.LOL.

24. 29 Ruxton, actual stock paint

[​IMG]

25. And that's one of the more conservative combos!

Outback and haasfogle like this.
  26. Yes it is.

27. Special Ed

Special Ed

The only judge that I know pretty well is a HAMBer and he was born and raised in Southern California.

Tman likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

29. Some of us are 20 years older now then when we got here. Age brings wisdom and decorum to some.

Outback, curbspeed, Malcolm and 2 others like this.