Register now to get rid of these ads!

american made

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by your wheelbase is how big, Nov 30, 2007.

1. right i got to get new rods for a bbc but which ones are made in the usa ive heard that eagle rods are made in china is this true because i want proper rods not some elasticated chocalate shit ones any ideas ?? :confused:

2. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Sure it does.

The rod's You'd be wanting are Scats, Laddie!

The Eagles are fine peices as well.

Avoid Cat Rods like the Plague.

3. never heard of cat rods but they sound purrrrrfect

4. butch27

butch27

FYI: After WW2 There was a town in Japan they named USA and shipped all kinds of shit. True story.

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Purrrrfectly fucked, right out of the box!

6. squirrel

squirrel

sure would help to know just what this bbc is like that you're gonna put the rods into.

I would find some old rods that say GM and have big bolts in them...but I'm old fashioned....

7. Are chinese made rods,for if you have a "lead" foot?;)

8. yekoms

yekoms

Crower ,Lunati, and some of the Manley rods are made in the USA. Chevy rods with good bolts (SPS,ARP) are good for street performance. How much horsepower are you thinking of?
    Smokey

9. 392_hemi

392_hemi

SCAT are made in China and machined in the US.

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

read the article again.

Scat has to buy thier crank billets from China, because the foundry that used to sell them to Scat sold out from the Chinese.

Rods (from blank to finished product) are made here.

I'm not entirely sure the steel crank billets are even from China...I think they still come to scat via a u.s. company. It was well explained in Hot Rod ( or Car Craft) recently.

11. Larry T

Larry T

I think Carrillo and Oliver rods are made in the USA too.

12. yekoms

yekoms

Thanks Larry T, I forgot them.
    Smokey

13. 392_hemi

392_hemi

I'm not going by what was printed in some article. If you don't believe me, why don't you check their web site? It says "our connecting rods are made from our famous 2-piece forging for increased strength and are finished and balanced into complete sets at our state-of-the-art facility in Redondo Beach, California." It does not say the forgings are made here.

14. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

You better be making over 600 to need more than the general's finest with some good bolts. Do the right thing and buy some good ones or just re bolt stockers. Eagle - american LOL. Yeah right.

15. it seems to me that this is in need of deeper investigation as i dont want shit rods and big windows in this block

the engine in question is 454 + 60 four bolt 7-1 compression rpm cam rectangle port heads 671 wiand blower 2xpredator carbs .

car is 23t box frame four link 9inchrear front torsion bar 7inch drop tube windscreen hight is 32 inches and the engine is 27 inches taller than that ill try and get some pics soon

thanks for all the help so far

16. chad

chad

At our local Stock Car track we have to use Eagle rods or stock rods,we buzz the Eagles up around 7300-7500 RPM all night long and never had a failure yet,(knock on wood) these rods are 3 seasons old so far...We had a few problems with stock rods,but nothing that wasn't our fault..LOL

17. Larry T

Larry T

Your original question was about where the rods were made, not on the quality. Eagle rods are made in China, but they are not junk. My machinest uses them in the circle track engines he builds that routinely see 7000+ rpms. He says he's never had problems with them and has several engines that, like Chad, have more than one season of hard use without failure.
    They are good parts at a reasonable price. It's the "politics" that make them hard to run, not the quality.
    Larry T

18. chad

chad

Out of about 27 cars at our track 25 of them run Eagles and no failures as of yet...They are pretty decent for the money..

19. mojo66

mojo66

mmmm.....Predator carbs.....

20. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Gm LS7 rods are good enough for what your running as long as you balance the thing

21. i cant use decent gm rods dot-dimple because they are floaters and i need press fit so i may go with the eagle if you guys rekon they are ok but if i was using a british engine i would use british rods -cosworth etc so american engine american rods the eagle rods are available over here for reasonable money but you know what they say

CHARLIE DONT SURF

22. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

I'd opt for the Carrillo's myself. I've never seen one go down yet...:cool:

23. Larry T

Larry T

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but LS-6 and LS-7 engines came with high performance, 7/16 bolt, pressed pin rods. The part number is 14096151. There are probably more of these rods floating around that the full floating pin rods.
    Larry T

24. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

25. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Carillo, Oliver, etc. are very expensive. You can get a set of SCAT i-beams on ebay for about $250. They are more than adequate for a street motor.

26. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Agreed. Scat rods are more than sufficent.

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure you guys are aware that you can buy QUALITY oversized pins and press fit them in the floater GM rods, aren't you?

Frank

28. Key words.

29. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

If it were a N/A street/towing only engine I'd be tempted to go the with a stock rod. However, once you put a supercharger on top of it, start putting the boost to it, and driving the crap out of it I'd be tempted to put a bulletproof bottom end into it. I'm not trying to start a pissing match Frank, I've read alot of your posts and have learned from them. The shop I used to be at turned out alot of high end race stuff that got fed nothing but the best.
    Two different people, with two different opinions... but really neither of us is wrong...:D If he's gonna cruise it, a stock will probably do... but if you'd drive it like me... I'll take bulletproof..:cool:

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran over 400 passes on dimple rods with a non-twist GM crank in the ol bracket racer. Once I stopped the race program I had I sold off the best usable parts. The rods and crank ended up in another bracket racer for another 300+ passes. I don't know where they are today. I do know they never failed and I buzzed the traps at 7800 in "good air" and 7600 in "bad air", and yes it made that much difference. It did have 14.1:1 TRW pistons (floaters) and was also well balanced. The next car was closer to 15:1 but was also using alum heads. In some cases I can understand aftermakets because the cost of reconditioning can be pretty high.

No matter what you end up choosing get the better bolts they offer as an option (if they still do that) because that's the 1st place for rod failure...WTF am I saying, you already know that. Sorry...