Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Graffiti reviews

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. goldenidolcustoms

goldenidolcustoms
    from Pa.

AG didn't become a cult classic for no reason.I wonder what they would think of rebel without a cause?

williebill and Flathead Dave like this.
  3. Im not sure and I posted it. One of the reviews said I dont know why they never go home they just hang out all night. Just thought what people said was funny.

j-jock likes this.
  4. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

For starters IMB is not a movie review site, it's an entertainment information site. On the internet, you can get negative reviews for anything......if you look long enough. If you are looking for reviews, you might want to look at a site that specializes in reviewing movies. Rotten Tomatoes reviews AG as critics 96% and audience as 84% (64,534 reviews).......and BTW AG is not a car movie.....it's a coming of age movie, with cars in it.

5. How could a person possibly describe, what is an emotional experience, to an idiot that is judging the movie without having a clue of what life was like at the time. It doesn't matter what he thinks. The movie was for people like us that lived through those times.
    The first time I watched the movie, was the first time it came to Vancouver. I watched it with a bunch of friends ( a bunch is 8 in this case) after having dinner and a couple of beers. We were all close to the same age, and from all parts of Canada, and were together because we were ex-military, and completing an aircraft conversion course at the airline we worked for.
    The audience, including ourselves, went nuts during the show, not because of how well the movie was written, shot, or edited, but because it was the closest thing to reliving the experiences we shared from those years.
    I have seen the movie many times since, and still enjoy it.
    It would the same thing as attempting to describe some of the flying scenes in Top Gun, (I am a former fighter pilot) to a bunch of dweebs that would not have a clue what it feels like to light two afterburners, climb to 35,000 ft, and accelerate to Mach 2.
    Screw them, what the hell do they know.
    Bob

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

James, You got to be careful reading my bullshit! Wasting beer would be just plain SHAMEFULL!;) lol Larry

saltflats and 427 sleeper like this.
  7. Remember, these fools are totally ignorant of the fact that today's technology was hardly even a dream when AG was made. If there isn't a gigantic explosion of some sort every 30 seconds with cars and motorcycles flying through the air, they get bored. These clowns have no concept of reality.

Flathead Dave and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. Fun plot, great character development, especially compared to today's super hero disasters. I watch it several times a year, get emotionally involved each time. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are plenty of us loyal beholders of AG to keep this amazing flick alive for many more decades.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Years ago on TV there was Siskel and Ebert who gave movie reviews.

I a short while I pretty much went and saw the movies the heavy set guy gave a thumbs down to, after awhile I quit watching the danged show.

Now about AG, well, I liked Clockwork Orange when it came out too;)
    And what was the whole point of Apocalypse Now? Still a great flick, I could go on...lol

Desoto291Hemi and Flathead Dave like this.
  10. Tastes change just like everything else. My parents liked musicals. I can’t stand them. Same goes for Bing Crosby movies. :)
    The Fast and the Furious will be the millennials nostalgia trigger and we all know how much that series sucked.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I wasn't as big on Clockwork Orange, as I was on Dr Strangelove. I was part of the generation that was heavily involved in the cold war and had more than one experience on a SAC base, that was enough for me to know that although nothing like that was likely to happen, the mentality was there.
    Another excellent show from the time that they wouldn't get, is, "7 Days in May".
    Bob

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Everybody has their own tastes. I personally don't watch many movies, most are just stupid BS. AG is one of the few that caught my eye, and I enjoyed it. The few that I have watched in the last few years have been from the 30's and 40's, stuff like The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca, which not only had great actors and acting, but filled with then new, now old cars, in everyday settings that shows how things were back then. Then again, I might watch 15 minutes of one from that time frame and turn it off.
    I haven't been in a theater in over 40 years, and still won't go to one anymore. I prefer to watch on TV, satellite now now that I don't have a working DVD or VHS anymore. And in that 40 years, I might have seen a half dozen so called blockbuster films.

I feel like I relate better to stuff made before 1980 than after that. The new stuff sux in my mind.

13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I liked Alices Restaurant too. Lippy:D

14. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

This thread reminds me of "Dazed and Confused". If you haven't seen it, it is set in Texas but it can relate to almost state during the 1970's.
    It's about high school kids on the football team, Girls, Long Hair, Partying, Pot, etc. The right of passage...The cars are great and they're muscle cars.

Anyway, When I mention AG to the kid/teens at work, they have no idea what I'm talking about. When I mention Dazed and Confused, the kids think it's about the hippie movement.
    These kids/teens have no idea what we had when we were young in the 1960's and '70's and they are not interested.

Desoto291Hemi and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. CME1

CME1

I really like the AG movie. I watch it every now and awhile! It makes me feel good knowing the fun we lived through. "Memories Are Made of This" ! To change the subject, I also like (The Last Picture Show).:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, just to spite all of these Pickle Sniffin', Wanna be Movie Critic, Millennial, Douche Bag, Hipster Fux! I've just finished watching American Graffiti (for the thousandth time) and have decided to file all of their review's under C.S. -'Cause that's what it is! I didn't live it, but everyone I talk to from my Father's generation (the one's that did) say's it's the closest thing to real life that any movie has come to show about it! Shame on them for Knocking such an Iconic Classic!

17. plan9

plan9

George Lucas's net worth is 5.5 billion...

This thread has now come full circle.

alanp561 and 427 sleeper like this.
  18. Saw most of the mentioned the first night they were released in my area cause they were car related movies. If I'm understanding the post correctly - there are some folks now - 50 or so some odd years later giving reviews - except what for what looked like an article from Rodding at Random...?

19. What about that guy that made "Duel"....wasn't he kinda a loser too ?

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell it actually got us out of the house and of to a "movie theater" to see it. Dipwad reviews or not for those of us who cruised the gut in the 60's it was a couple of hours of reliving our early years.
    A lot of the characters somewhat related to local folks we knew. The local guy with the fast car that out of town guys came to town to square off with. The rougher than a cob bunch that would siphon your gas when your car was parked out in the dark behind the grange hall at a dance but slid in sideways and bailed out of their car when they saw a couple of guys had you outnumbered in a parking lot 20 miles from home.
    It was fun the first time we went and it is fun to watch every time since even though many of us have it pretty well memorized.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"Where's the car? Got to hang this on a car"

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You can see Bo Hopkins and Candy Clark at most of the Car Shows. Especially at the LARS and GNRS at Pomona.
    Bo still looks like he can punch a fucking rat and get away with it. Let a rat give AG a bad review to Bo.

Desoto291Hemi and 427 sleeper like this.
  23. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

A ton of movies don't get credit they deserve when they come out and it's usually because of the time it's released or what else is playing at the same time that over shadows it. I think of Shawshank Redemption. I think sometimes we all forget about a time when we couldn't slip a dvd into a player and watch something over and over again or discover something that would have been lost in time after it was first shown in a movie theatre. Home video changed everything. I have a pile of car movies sitting on my shelf that have been given to me or I bought over the years that I never knew of or only had heard of till getting them. Around the late nineties a movie was released by the rock group Kiss called Detroit Rock City. It was about a group of teenagers from Ohio who were making a road trip in 1977 to Detroit to see Kiss. People like me who grew up in this area and the same age as the guys in the movie could totally relate to making the trip to Cobo hall to see, as one of the parents in the movie put it, 'the devil himself', 'and in Detroit no less'.

stillrunners likes this.
  24. One note; everyone knew Porterville was THE place to drag Main. Should have based the movie there instead of Modesto.

25. It's what my Valley Girl Julie said.....

26. mountainman2

mountainman2

I was one of them and have often wondered the same thing. That being said (by an old fart), I would do it all over again if given the chance. :(

427 sleeper likes this.
  27. For those of us that lived and cruised in that era, the movie was important. It was a great time in my live, and I was happy to share it with others via the movie. I fondly remember "The Great Highway" drag race challenges when the guys from Sausalito came to the city and waxed our asses. That time in our life will never be again, but we can see the movie, and smile. I am not a grumpy old man in a rocking chair, I am the guy who has a smile on his face, and others wonder why.

28. American Graffiti was the timeline of my life. I won't allow some dumb-ass, uninformed critic spoil that for me. Not in this lifetime.:mad:.....................Don.

lothianwilly71 and LAROKE like this.
  29. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just wish I was born 30 years sooner so that I could have experienced it myself! Short changed again... Dammit!!!

pitman and lothiandon1940 like this.