Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures American Graffiti reviews

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Was on imdb.com & the reviwes are bad, you can tell alot of the reviewers are young but still brutal reviews.
    Worst movie i've ever seen, i mean, i knew about G. Lucas's lack of skill but this is awful. I can only imagine how this man has come to be a movie director by poorly ripping off styles and being so clumsy with the camera. This time he delivers a slow, pretentious movie that goes nowhere. Within an almost two hour-long torture in which the characters are as flat as they could possible be, Lucas show us how mediocre film maker he is by not displaying any knowledge about cinematographic language at all, a still camera, boring shots and a soporific story that should have ended before the first 10 minutes. I managed to get to the end of it so i could have a valid opinion but it didn't worth it. Please don't watch it unless you have sleep problems.
    6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.

1/10
    Honestly, You Couldn't Spoil This Movie
    thomas-fackler28 June 2015
    Warning: Spoilers
    It was the worst of times and this was the worst of movies about it.

George Lucas manages to put together a horrific nightmare of boredom on wheels with little respite from the torture. He subtly paints over the meaninglessness with another layer of less meaning creating a hodge-podge of pointed affectation only topped by the four printed lines of denouement; all of which could have been written more succinctly in an aphorism and not gone several million over budget. Lucas would have done better had he clipped the first five minutes and looped it, or maybe the first fifteen depending on the average attention span of whoever thinks this movie is anywhere to the right of the movie greats bell curve.

I went into this film not knowing what to expect and left it pretty sure I was disappointed.
    4 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.

1/10

williebill likes this.
  2. williebill

williebill

That's OK. I generally don't like a fucking thing about anyone who would write that kind of review. They weren't there, they don't know shit. I don't like who they'll vote for, either.

IMDB reviews are interesting. There are some miserable motherfuckers writing some of them.

3. Pretty much sums it up.

4. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I thought the Wolfman Jack scene was pretty good. On a bus trip to Downtown Dallas at maybe 14-15 years old, I bought a crystal radio. (No battery. Clip wire on ground, instant A.M.) Really cool. Shaped like a rocketship. Pulled out the nosecone for antenna/tuning. The first night I heard Wolfman Jack and thought "Wow, what's this all about?"

5. Sorry. Not even worth posting what these self indulged jerk-offs think.

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Imagine the reviews of Two Lane Blacktop.

7. People have different tastes. The truly self indulgent can't accept that. It's never been a favorite of mine either.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Torchie and Special Ed like this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you're a car person it's a snooze fest. Those that were ever in "the life" get it and it's almost cult status is the reason. Two Lane Blacktop is pure boredom until the racing scenes. Dull, "quiet" except for the races, and not-so-cutting edge that the characters didn't have names, just another quirk. But still a car cult classic in spite of it. Bullitt is also a fairly boring movie. A lot of taxing time wasting until the chase and an ending that's used over and over in today's movies, chase the bad guy through a heavily populated area. Roll it all up to real life and ask yourself if the people you know would be game to spend all night fucking off waiting for a race that may or may not happen. I'd bet your list is small unless that's all you've ever done. Same with just driving around in the "hot spot" (which frankly is almost extinct) all night just to profile and see the others. The reviews? Who gives a fat rat's ass? I can only think of a couple movies I ever read a review for in all my 62+ years alive and those were recent.

9. I can see how non-car-people would see A.G. as a waste of time. They don't have the past we have. They can't relate to the love we have for hotrods and our priorities concerning the fun we had. Or even the fun we wish we had as a teenager.
    If I sat for 2 hours watching a movie on cooking I'd give it a bad review because I have no interest at all....can't relate. My brother and his hot rod Morris were in a super low budget movie called American Thrill Ride filmed by a few buddies of his in Medford Oregon. The plot was thin, acting was bad an it'll never be seen on the silver screen but I loved it because I can relate to it. If my wife was to sit down to watch it, she'd get up off the couch and go find something else to do before 2 minutes into the movie.
    It's ok....they don't understand why we build and drive the cars we do. We don't do it for their approval.

10. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

two lane blacktop.jpg

11. Why would anyone give a amateur critic any credence, I took a gander at what the guy thinks is entertaining and I wouldn't waste my time watching any of it.

People that write scathing reviews just like to make their opinions valid, they are generally just disgruntled and just look for something to complain about.

Was American Graffiti the greatest movie of all time? Certainly not but it was a good movie about a simpler time in life and that's something many of us can identify with. HRP

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  12. Lol,,,,,can’t you see the humor there !
    These people doing the reviews that are posted here .

The first one,,,,stating how bad a director George Lucas is,,,,,come on,,,,,look at his resume of work,,,,some of the biggest films to come out of Hollywood .
    The other person,,,,,using big words to show how intelligent they are,,,,LoL.

I guess you guys are right,,,,only a car person would really understand it all.
    But,,,if you have ever seen the behind the scenes of making it,,,it would surprise you.
    He reshot many scenes because the first few takes were perfect,,,,,after several retakes the actor would stumble or stutter when doing the lines and he would purposely use that take .
    Because,,,,how many young people always speak perfect,,,especially when talking to a pretty girl,,,or trying to look cool around your friends ?
    And the scene where Toad crashes the Vespa in the beginning scene,,,,purely accidental,,,but that is the shot Lucas used .

I think Mr Lucas probably knew what he was doing.

And I think it is one of the best movies of all time,,,not Elizabethan Shakespeare,,,,but a great movie about being a young adult and growing up in the 60’s in America .

Tommy

13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Reading anything that was done by anyone,with near zero or total zero idea of how the real world is,out side there mom's basement ,from dork web sites,will most often wast your time. There point of view is built from ear to ear hard BS turd. So nothing real gets in or out.
    AG was a super good well done movie. But if writer of review has no grip on real world or history. the value of there point is sub zero.

pitman, williebill, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Shakespeare! Now there is something that's over rated!;) lol Larry

15. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Screw em'! It's a great movie. The people who wrote those reviews probable drive a Prius and sip their $6 lattes while discussing social justice issues with their 'peers'.

16. A great movie AG is not, but a fun film about a time gone by with some cool cars and one liners.
    It’s priceless.
    One of my favourite moves, but one that has not stood the test of time,

people love to complain plain and simple.
    I’m sure for the 10 bad reviews there’s a 100 positive.

17. pitman

pitman

Petaluma, Main St.?
    It came out and captured a generation's imagination of a time lost. Suzanne Sommers, Bo Hopkins, Dreyfus, 'Milner', Harrison Ford. Great fun, go re-live it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  18. I did start at the 1 star reviews and work up but most of the reviews were bad. Just thouhgt it funny-sad how a movie you love is hated- misundrestood by 90 percent of the people.

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  19. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

I am millenial, but these millenial hipster, loft crawlin’, basket weaving, cube farmin’ douchebags and their reviews can go straight to hell. This generation is the beginning of the end.

Long live American Graffiti. One of my favorites since I was 8 years old. Still a favorite at 31.

20. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I’ve never had any respect for any kind of critic. Movies, food, music, ect. It’s all personal. Somebody who gets paid to give their opinion about something? I do that for free everyday. Some self titled critic doesn’t like something I do, oh well. Tell them to get a real job that actually involves working.

21. Take a look at society around you. These are the type of jackasses that inhabit "popular culture" today. They have zero input or influence on my day to day operations. They can have social media, I'll keep my old cars.

22. One of my all time favorite movies! I saw it at the theater three times, (with three different dates...) owned it on VHS, and I have it on DVD. A few stars got their big break with this movie and went on to have huge acting careers. (George Lucas liked to cast unknowns in his movies. )

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, the purpose of this thread ever being posted?

24. So how many movies have those part-time critics (who work for a free streaming service on the 'net) made themselves, I wonder? I also wonder if they have ever taken a creative writing class or done a workshop on cinematography?
    All they've really done is expose themselves as ignorant and totally oblivious to the central point(s) of the movie. The name of the movie says it best. The car culture story is basically the bones on which the many characters become the meat as each of them are faced with looming changes to their future. It was a snapshot of the times, not a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. Milner, of course, saw that his day as "fastest car in the Valley" was coming to an end. High school had been rather carefree but suddenly tough choices had to be made about college, the military, leaving friends, girlfriends, right down to what to do with the last remaining days left. The Pharaohs car club's days were numbered as being bully bullfrogs in a shrinking pond as their dried up future loomed ahead. Even the swarmy schoolteacher and Wolfman Jack could sense the handwriting on the wall.
    I agree with all the comments about the richness of the car culture of those times, but these so-called critics are not just guilty of not being "car people". They are guilty of standing in a forest and not seeing any wood.

25. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Fuck these rats of today's society. Self indulgent attitudes of the mindless hoard.

26. Movies can inspire and create havoc, I remember my dad telling me about Birth of a Nation, a movie about the Civil War just a few decades later and peoples emotions erupted and they were actually fighting in the theater.

The passing of time has a lot to do with how each person sees something, be it a movie or a preconceived notion about what cars they like and dislike, times change & people change. HRP

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  27. The hypocrisy in this thread is stunning.

28. I watched Ford verse Ferrari a couple of nights ago, I had been looking forward to it ever since the announcement of it's making, like American Graffiti it was a good movie but I felt it didn't live up to the hype, it had high profile actors, a good script and the saving grace was the cars.

I'm sure there are some that would say this movie sucked but I don't let anyone tell me beforehand if it's a winner or not, I'm capable of making up my own mind. HRP

CornfieldPerformance and K13 like this.
  29. Hypocrisy,,,Lol,,,,that reminds me of a scene from the Untouchables.

The great Sean Connery and Kevin Costner has just been through a bad shootout.
    The Canadian Mountie told Costner’s character,,,,”Mr Ness,,,,I do not approve of your methods “,,,,,Costner looked back at him and said,,,,”Yeah,,,,well you’re not from Chicago “

Very funny line.

Tommy

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Larry you damn near made me spit my beer. :D