Register now to get rid of these ads!

History American Graffiti Cars

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WCreighton, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Mike

Mike

There is a hidden car that appears in American Graffitti. When Milner comes to a stop next to the '60 Caddy at the stop light, a flash of yellow moves across the screen. If you have the movie on DVD, pause it and move through that part frame by frame, a super bithcin' yellow '57 Chevy 2 door wagon with no front bumper, chrome reverse wheels and black wall tires will be revealed.

Vic Walter, mad mikey, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  2. Don't forget about the "Hemi-Roid" 39 Chevy parked in the driving scenes. hemi-roid.jpg

3. WCreighton

WCreighton

That’s super interesting, Mike. I’ll have to see if I can find it later.

I was waiting for someone to post that car, Dan. Always thought it looked bitchin in the movie.

Will

4. modagger

modagger

FD1DAE6F-E290-4DD7-A215-14306D16B7A5.png 9BA6B652-3D58-4E97-9978-A078631D47EA.jpeg There was a ‘39 Chevy in the movie built by my uncle. It was used for a straight on night shot and a couple of other partial scenes because of the graphics on the sides.

He told me that when they were done with filming the car scenes, they offered the owners the choice between residuals or a one time $400.00 payment. He, like most of the other car guys took the cash, thinking it was just another car movie. He said that was one of the biggest mistakes he’s ever made.

He sold the car shortly after that due to an impending divorce and while at a car show a few years later, saw the car. He approached and asked the owner, (at least the second since he sold it), about where he got it. The owner told him he built the car himself in his custom shop. My uncle just said, “nice car” and walked away.

I tracked down the current owner about four years ago and sent him the original Ca. Registration card for it.

It was Hemi powered with graphics that read, “Hemi Roid” and the Ca. Plate was, “PrepH”.

5. Great story, modagger.:)

6. modagger

modagger

Thanks lothiandon1940
    I remembered something else he told me about that experience. They were under strict orders from the production company. Absolutely no burnouts. Well after they got their money, a bunch of guys did burnouts down the Main Street and a camera crew was filming it all. Now that would be some great footage to see.

7. I wonder if anyone took the residuals & how much they made.

Stogy, seb fontana and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. I heard it was supposed to have a 409 in it, which would be correct for the year the film took place in. 427/454 wasn't out yet in 61. My little diecast model of the car has a 409 in it, for what that's worth.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. modagger

modagger

As many times as it’s been shown since then, even if it were $2.00 a showing, that’s a bunch more than the $400.00. I reckon

mad mikey, Stogy, seb fontana and 4 others like this.
  10. WCreighton

WCreighton

Wow! Great story modagger, I want to hear anything else you know.

Will

11. modagger

modagger

Hi will
    I wish I had more about the movie part of the cars life, well....maybe I do but it hasn’t come back to the surface just yet. Gettin’ on in years and sometimes it takes awhile to plumb the depths.

The photo that Dan Hays posted of the car is after my uncle sold it. I know because it didn’t have those wheels while he had it. I have the article that accompanied that photo somewhere and if I remember correctly, it credits that current owner with the build.

I have some early photos of the car that I’ll post soon. Along with the, “PrepH” Ca. Reg.

12. WCreighton

WCreighton

How did your uncle hear about the movie?

Will

Stogy likes this.
  13. ol skool chevy

ol skool chevy

file12.jpeg file16.jpeg file18.jpeg file22.jpeg MY BROTHER BUILT 5 AMERICAN GRAFFITI CARS FOR PEOPLE HE IS ON HIS 6TH ONE NOW
    HE BUILDS THEM FROM GROUND UP

14. ol skool chevy

ol skool chevy

15. WCreighton

WCreighton

Sweet, love that!

Will

Stogy likes this.
  16. modagger

modagger

I’m not sure how he heard about the movie but if I had to hazard a guess, it might have been at his fab shop in Oakland or at the strip. He’s in an assisted living place now in Oakland and when I call him, in order for him to hear me, he needs a higher decibel level than I am capable of producing. I’ll drop him a line and see if I can find out.

17. modagger

modagger

Great stuff Ol Skool
    Looks like your brother has made a nice cottage industry for himself there. Do each of them come with a girl? Or is that an option?

18. WCreighton

WCreighton

Thanks again, modagger! Great info.

Will

Stogy, modagger and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. 33Doll

33Doll

This was always my Favorite one!

20. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

GREAT post!!!! I had no idea the history of the ‘parked 39’ what a bitchin car!!! Would love to see the film footage of these forbidden burnouts you speak of!!!! Such a shame your uncle sold it. That’s gotta be the coolest 39 Chev I’ve ever seen, either that one or the green ‘Jolly Dolly’ 39 from Maryland(??) can’t think of the owners name right now. Couple magazine features of it in the 60’s...

Stogy, modagger, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  21. JIMRODS

JIMRODS
    from NEW JERSEY

As a young kid in my town I had the chance to be behind a yellow deuce coupe while in my Dad's car.Years later I see the same view with the rear of Milner's car in the movie..Life imitate's art,? Art imitate's life? I don't know,...I do know it's all Very Cool....

22. modagger

modagger

Kevin
    When my uncle told me about the filming of the burnouts, I searched and searched for any mention of them. All to no avail. I agree, how cool to see those!
    Jeff

23. ol skool chevy

ol skool chevy

THE GIRL IS A option

hotrodjack33, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. modagger

modagger

10D52863-95BC-42E6-B078-F30B0888A343.jpeg FA7D713F-60F6-4BB3-8E7F-23628A62FB59.jpeg 9F2933C4-AE81-40A6-98B9-85CBC9C188DC.jpeg 0FD4E8FA-23DE-4805-81DE-0B0314AFF02F.jpeg More photos and brain droppings, George Carlin’s phrase, not mine.

Been rifling through my shop and my memory and have come up with some more “Hemi-Roid nuggets.

I found the only three photos of the car from when my uncle owned and raced it. His ex got custody of all of the photo albums. I scanned the Ca. Registration card and up in the right corner is the aforementioned, “PREPH”.

On the back of one of the photos, he wrote, “430 ci Chry Hemi, 9:95 @ 141mph.

Another memory of my conversations with him came back while I was scanning these photos.

Apparently there was an older gent in the Bay area that did all of the gold leaf, pin striping and lettering on the fire trucks in the area. He turned his nose up at hot rods and refused to do any striping on them. One day he stopped into my uncle’s shop for some reason and was looking at the unlettered ‘39, reminiscing about having one just like it and what fond memories he had of it.

My uncle asked him to do the lettering and graphics, but he refused. When he was shown the rendering of what he wanted, he got such a kick out of the “HEMI-ROID” that he agreed to do it. At a very hefty price.

Well, I think that is just about all I have to contribute to this discussion. But, I never know what memory will percolate to the surface, so.......

I just took delivery of a really nice ‘30 Model A from a long time member’s son. Unfortunately I’m in New England so it may be a while before a nice test drive.

Be well All

KoolCoupe, Stogy, Torana68 and 16 others like this.
  25. What a great name your Uncle has! No French connection there!:D:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  26. @modagger Thanks for posting, what a cool car!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. WCreighton

WCreighton

Thanks again, modagger! So much fun to learn the history behind cars.

Will

28. modagger

modagger

Lothiandon

He’s not past tense just yet.

It’s been fun sharing what I know about the car with the group.

29. catdad49

catdad49

Mo, Great history and thanks for your memories.

30. modagger

modagger

It really has been my pleasure Cat