Register now to get rid of these ads!

American graffiti 3 the prequel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Jan 8, 2011.

1. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It's obvious that some responses to your thread are missing the point... A "PREQUEL" of American Graffiti has to stay to the correct era of the fifties to be realistic. Teens that start a hot rod project with the family car that was given to them and their goal was to build a fast car by scrounging around for parts that they know of or save up for. The idea of John Milner as a young teen saving up his hard earned money to build "the fastest car in the valley" and Bob Falfa as a young teen building his '55 Chevy in the beginning stages is BRILLIANT! There could be images of vintage drag racing films that would have to be redigitalized so that these 8mm original films can look like actual scenes taken place "in the day" to inspire their hot rod dreams of street racing in the fifties - which is the birth of HOT RODDING - the Fifties!!! The introduction of the small block Chevy, the continuing success of the early Hemis, the Olds J-2, the early to mid-fifties Cadillac mills, etc! This can all tie in to a great story to be shown in a film that can be done with the technology that we have today! The mention of Shia-Leboufe (I know I did not spell that right) as Falfa is good as the rumor mentions - you usually need a high profile name to sell a movie...

2. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

It's obvious that some responses to your thread are missing the point... A "PREQUEL" of American Graffiti has to stay to the correct era of the fifties to be realistic. Teens that start a hot rod project with the family car that was given to them and their goal was to build a fast car by scrounging around for parts that they know of or save up for. The idea of John Milner as a young teen saving up his hard earned money to build "the fastest car in the valley" and Bob Falfa as a young teen building his '55 Chevy in the beginning stages is BRILLIANT! There could be images of vintage drag racing films that would have to be redigitalized so that these 8mm original films can look like actual scenes taken place "in the day" to inspire their hot rod dreams of street racing in the fifties - which is the birth of HOT RODDING - the Fifties!!! The introduction of the small block Chevy, the continuing success of the early Hemis, the Olds J-2, the early to mid-fifties Cadillac mills, etc! This can all tie in to a great story to be shown in a film that can be done with the technology that we have today! The mention of Shia-Leboufe (I know I did not spell that right) as Falfa is good as the rumor mentions - you usually need a high profile name to sell a movie...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
    This would make a great movie (minus the shia labouf part) thats why the movie will never happen. Good true period historical movies dont get made in hollywood. Throw in a terrible story line some over rated over paid spoiled actors/actresses and youve got yourself a deal..

3. Rem

Rem

Does it have to be made in Hollywood? I'm sure not every film made in the US is a big-budget CGI-fest - lots of low budget, but high quality films get made over here (mainly 'cause we haven't got any money), so I'm sure you could do it.

4. Wouldn't that be British Grafitti? Might not be a bad idea it could be about some pop band just trying to make the big time.

5. The Spirit of 58

The Spirit of 58
    BANNED
    from Miami

NO you don't need a big name to sell a movie, the Original American Graffiti didn't have big names. It was a bunch of guys and that kid from those black and white sitcoms. But it did well, James Dean wasn't big before Rebel without a cause either.

6. Clik

Clik

Didn't anyone see Hollywood Knights? I thought it was a better flick. More true to my growing up. Almost exactly the way it was for me. Plus Michelle Pfeiffer was at her peak of beauty and lookin' goooood.

7. Rem

Rem

Ha, don't think it would be quite the same as "British Grafitti"! :)

I actually meant that there must be small studios over your side of the Pond that would be capable of coming up with the goods. After all, the original was a relatively low-buck affair, and that adds something to the realism. It wouldn't need a big cast, nor too many different locations - it would be all about the story.

8. sport fury

sport fury

i picture austin powers in jeans and a white t-shirt driving a 32 ford coupe. he is puffing on a camel cigarette and yelling out the car window "ya baby" at girls.

9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Man, be realistic! American Grafitti was back in '73... Of coarse the movie had no big names - it was the very start of their careers. Do you really think a low budget studio can make a successful killing TODAY with no name actors? Anything's possible - but unlikely.

10. TJratz

TJratz

Yeah I do..but why does it have to be made by a low budget studio?

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If there was a sequel,who better than Ron Howard to make it happen,He was there and it seems anything He directs is "GOLD"

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

X ONE BILLION!!!!!!

Louie

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good point.

14. Yeah on Ron Howard making the prequel. I don't remember any of his stuff being bad - some wasn't great, but is wasn't bad either.

But. . .

If anyone's gonna do it, just DO it. And let history be the judge.

15. sport fury

sport fury

i can't think of anyone better to do it. i can't believe i did not think of ron howard.

16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I absolutely AGREE! Who better than Ron Howard who appeared in one of the top 100 FILMS of ALL TIME that was shot in a period of only thirty days or so! It's an honor that would benefit the American Cinematic audience and worldwide as well!

17. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

I can't believe that this "is never gonna happen" and has nothing to do with traditional rodding thread has made it ten pages.

18. TJratz

TJratz

x 2>>

19. TJratz

TJratz

20. sport fury

sport fury

does anybody on the hamb know rick figaro (owner of milners coupe)? maybe rick would know of a good contact to ask about making a prequel to american graffiti.

21. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I think that if someone sold Lucas on the idea of helping a hungry, up and coming person make the movie it might make a good sell, basically him giving back to the industry. I do know the owner of a location inwhich Lucas has done some filming, it has a small town real close and would be perfect;) and I'm diggin the story line you guys are telling.

22. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Personally I think Lucas is a little weird, judging from pretty much every movie besides Graffiti. My kid is a huge "Star Wars" fan, yet I truly cannot sit though even one of those CGI-laden crappers. Not even one. I was around when Star Wars was new, and I had no desire to see it then, and that is George Lucas' claim to fame, not Graffiti. Ever hear him speak of AG? It was a way to get his name going after the "THX 1138" embarrassment. He has no interest in cars, or in us as hot rodders. A much as I'd love to see a true car guys car movie, it ain't coming from Lucasfilms Ltd...

23. ItsLUCKY

ItsLUCKY

so true!!!

24. sport fury

sport fury

the extras on the dvd of american graffiti has interviews with lucus. he was into cars at one time but i am not sure if he is still today.

25. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

He used to be a mechanic's helper (as in "go-pher") at Shelby American, but I think he "out-grew" cars and sees them as a phase in life. Lots of people are that way, but how on earth anyone can completely abandon hot rods for glorified sci-fi is beyond me...

26. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I know I will get blasted for this, but think... really, honestly, other then to a few old cars guys, would anybody would be interested in a movie set in 1955 about a car guy replacing a flathead with a SBC in a 32 Ford and the drama of painting it yellow???? There is no way to make that an interesting story line for a movie. American Graffiti has a very, very small cult following. Star Wars has a huge, huge cult following! That's why there are 6 Star Wars movies, cartoons, comics, books, conventions, etc.

They make movies to make money.

27. sport fury

sport fury

american graffiti has a much bigger cult following than you think. a prequel
    would be based on more than just events about milner. interest in 50's cars and culture has never been this huge since the 1950's itself. one thing you do have right is you will get blasted for it.

28. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Good thinken man. Thats a perfect start to go back in the day.

29. Well if the prequel held true to the storyline (1962) it might take place around '57-'58 or later. Not that it actually started then but if you recollect Milner talking to Curt about "...remember about 5 years ago...a couple hours and a tank of gas..." to run the idiot strip. So late 50s would or might be even better than '55 for a prequel? Just IMO.

Remember the '57-'60 timeframe; a lot more than 'replacing a flathead' and painting a 32 Ford yellow was going on. Lots of car-related things: zombie and alien movies at the drive-ins, learning "duck and cover" in school, fins were BIG, and more - could easily work into a prequel that includes Milner & other early car guys getting their education in custom car stuff. And it's a nearly virgin era for new movies - who's done any movie that reflects the mid/late 50s? Tons of material to spin from!

I disagree that a popular prequel couldn't be made. Make it right, make it period correct, develop the characters to be more than just "extras" in the movie, leave out all the computer generated special affects crap and it'd be a hit.

Big $$$ profits for movies doesn't revolve only around StarWars, Avatars, Lord of da Rings or Harry Potter etc. True Grit II is an example of that. No Glen Campbell in it :)rolleyes: ) and while admittedly it won't surpass Star Wars or others, look at the $$$ it is making. As the old saying goes - make it and they will come.

For many graying "boomers" who have "been there, done that" memories from back in the day, they now have restored cars and MONEY. I see no reason why a well done prequel wouldn't pull in the big $$$.

Yeah, I think the "cult following" you refer to is instead more of a generation following, and much bigger than many of us may realize.

30. sport fury

sport fury

well said