Register now to get rid of these ads!

American graffiti 3 the prequel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Jan 8, 2011.

1. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Maybe.

If they made it, what songs should they use? Music was such an important part of the original.

Would it have somebody fake the Wolfman?

2. TJratz

TJratz

3. Mike

Mike

That'd be a neat trick, considering that Milner was killed on his drive home after leaving the race track in AG2. :eek:

4. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

In the eighties, a friend of mine found a 32 coupe that was seal up in a garage since 1957, we displayed the car at the L.A. Roadster show, it was a pearl lavender and had a olds rocket with 6 -97's, My friend bought the car from the father of the kid that built the car in 57, the kid was killed in a 58 vette while dragracing, so the father seal up the car in his garage as a tribute to his son until my friend purchased the car. as part of the deal , my friend promised the dad that he would make a short film as a tribute to his son. So I called all the guys that had traditional hot rods or customs in San Diego , and we started filming the movie at a Sonic Drive-in, everbody showed up and volentiered their time and their cars for the movie. The script was based on a kid showing up to the Drive-in in modern times in a late model vette, there he is egged on to drag race another car , but then a guy rolls in the 32 and parks behind the vette, and blocks him in. He then proceeds to try to talk the kid in the vette into not drag racesing, he starts to relate his story with a flash back of 1958 at that same dinner. thats were we all came and recreated the 1958 scene, long story short, the guy in the 32 is successful in convincing the kid not to race, just as the kid turns around to thank the guy in the 32, the 32 disaperes, the guy in the 32 was a ghost. My friend did finished the film for less than a thousand bucks, it was done with all volentier work. My friend never had the money to market the film, but it did get done. the point is why can't the hamb members produce a movie in which we all participate, there is plenty of talented guys on the hamb that would gladly donate their time for this project. for it would serve to promote our stlye of cars to a younger generation. You could get the guys from discovery channel or the History chanel to film it, and it woulden't cost us anything but our time. May be I had to much coffee today, but I think it's a cool idea.

5. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Just saw "Deuce of Spades" over the weekend! I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it. Great story and Gene Winfield makes an appearance. He's the man! Bill Hines too! Fun to see those guys act!

6. That movie (AG) changed my life. I bet that stuff went on in many a small town USA back then, or variations of. Let's not crap on George, he hit it out of the park with that one.
    There are a lot of budding comedians here on the hamb, and it seems they have all found this thread.:D
    A prequel done right would sell well, It's the "done right" part that would be nigh on imposible to make happen.
    Don't get me wrong but Faith couldn't do it...It needs a big budget......more for the high cost of realism than anything else.
    You need George on side, and you need to convince him to take a trip back to his movie making roots, you need a convincing script, and the cast of new faces as mentioned earlier. It wouldn't need a Starwars budget...no CGI......A character movie with some car action,.....the young Milner and how he came to be around when AG starts.....
    It ain't that hard guys.
    I don't think it'll ever happen...not the right way anyway.....but it doesn't hurt to dream........maybe I'll write a script.:D

7. As long as Hollywood doesn't get their hands on it. Deuce of Spades proved the hotrod movie isn't dead, you just need an actual enthusiast to do it.
    That said, I was always partial to Bob Falfa. :D

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey guys, "bump" is not content worth bringing a thread to the top again.

If it keeps getting needlessly and excessively bumped it will be closed.

9. f100newb

f100newb

Been done. Charlie Sheen in The Wraith. LOL

10. There's only one bump that I can see, C'mon...a lot of people would apreciate a good yarn about where Milner and Falfa came from. Doing it right is where the problems start.
    I have no wish to dis Faith...but i feel that Faiths film was kind of a chick flick with hot rod props. Very well done for the budget (and yes I bought a copy)...but a love story nonetheless.
    Sorry if I offend Faith..I know it was a whole lot of hard work.
    All I'm saying is the prequel would need something more raw and visceral...Milner was a tough guy.....he musta got that from somewhere...

Just a dream tho' really..ain't it.:p

11. Aren't all hotrod movies love stories in a way?

12. duck279

duck279
    from SC

I just read these posts and think Ill watch the movie now.

13. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

Some thoughts..

The original was a "coming of age" movie, it told the stories of the people, not cars etc.

So a prequel needs to do the same thing.

We know Falfa (in the end) wasn't a bad dude (becomes a cop remember). So what is he rebelling against ? his upbringing ?

Milner - The whole "hanger on" and "you want to be like John?" thing, there is more to the story.. in the original he is portrayed as quite an astute guy, street smart. So how come he's "hanging around" ? was the chance to go to college never offered to him ? (something that Steve clearly didn't even consider in the original film), maybe parents died when he was young, leaving him to scrape a living ? Maybe his old man was a mechanic and got put away for ripping off cars, leaving a young John to take a job to provide for the family ? Whatever, he realises "the good ole days" aren't there any more - so what were they ? lets see them..

Steve - Wealthy family, got all he needs/wants. Pressure from his father to make something of himself - he's grown up with the constant pressure to do well at school and to believe that getting into a good college is everything in life. Somewhere along the way Steve finds cars and meets Laurie. His father hates the cars and sees it as a distraction, this is just the start of Steve taking control of his life - Laurie is a part of that too (not liked by the family, maybe her family are "working class") ? Ultimately ends up with Steve not going to college and working locally as per the second film.

Toad - Bullied ? never allowed to really express himself as a kid ? maybe parents don't really take an interest in their kids ? He ends up as a nervous kid with low confidence..

Make the film about the people, like the original, work the cars in around it - Milner starting racing and building the coupe, earning cash to put food on the table. Young Steve being awed by the cruising. Toad getting to find an identity for himself ?

14. losthubcap

losthubcap
    from Upstate NY

There would be no "32", that young girl riding with Milner probably would have sold the car by now for a fix !

15. FC49

FC49

I think Faith Granger should make a Graffiti prequel instead of Lucas. She flat nailed the 50s hot-rod scenes. Maybe she can get Winfield to do another cameo. He'd be perfect as a high-school auto shop teacher who shows kids the right way to port and relieve a Merc block.

Frank C.

16. Ricci32

Ricci32

Im with frank c

17. You pulling our leg? Thats a sad but cool event, even reading it made me wanna see it, at least on youtube. Someone needs to post the old pics of that deuce. And the HAMB movie I really dig that idea. I even said something earlier in this thread that the HAMB'rs could be extra's on the prequal if this thing took, but I like your idea to make a HAMB movie... even some youtube shorts would be cool...if I was out West I'd freebie my services for the cause (stunt double)!

18. sport fury

sport fury

there have been hundreds of more views of this thread lately. what has caused this recent interest in this thread? there had not been a view since march 2011.

19. Ricky B

Ricky B

<<<< We are trying to pull the pin out of the grenade. :D

See what you started..:cool:

20. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Now this sounds good i think they have to have the Hamb onboard before anything 1958 or 59 sounds perfect

21. now that could be done A HAMB production set from 1958 there all in 8th grade and milners 16 and just starting to build the 32 and is ah of the 40 ford the guy gets killed in

22. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

I like the concept. But i don't know if anyone mentioned, Milners car was a 32 chevy. Not Ford. Just a little random trivia.

23. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Wow. Sure looked like a Ford.

24. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Nope 32' FORD .

25. God bless you as you're gonna catch a lot of hell for this...

26. lukey

lukey

I like the idea. Maybe the girl that wrote/filmed duece of spades should be in charge! Awesome idea, but yeah, highly unlikely

27. Scumdog

Scumdog

Riiiggghhht.....stop licking them toads...

28. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

I think it would be a great idea. Everyone on the hamb needs to email mr lucas. But he would definatly need to have someone from the hamb as a technical advisor or call up Faith granger( I loved Duece of Spades).

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Yup, '32 Chevy with a Y-block. Best scene is when he races that '55 Fairlane gasser on Paradise Road...

-Dave

30. Algon

Algon

Wow must have read that on the net... Here it is Milner's 32 Chevy before Lucas edited every scene to make it look like a Ford. Little known fact, he just wanted to see if he could do it, practice for StarWars you know.....:D

Attached Files: