Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMC in a Studebaker, now we're talkin'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Jul 24, 2007.

1. mramc1

mramc1

Well now that my Model A RPU is done I can turn my attention back to my Studebaker truck. Not one to leave stuff alone I decided to swap motors. Here is the truck earlier this year.

[​IMG]

When my Dad and I built the truck in high school we put in a 1966 Plymouth Poly 318 and a 727 tranny. This engine was different and runs great, but left me with a sizeable firewall setback required to fit the rather large polyhead motor. Gas mileage wasn't too bad, 16 mpg with the original 2 bbl, but now with a 4 bbl it was down to about 13. After driving the truck for about 6 years I was looking for more legroom and now better mileage. So....

[​IMG]

Out with the old. Checkout the firewall.

[​IMG]

In with the new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The AMC 258 is out of a 1983 AMC Spirit GT. It's hooked to a '73 AMC 727 from a Matador so I can still use my existing shifter and driveshaft. I cleaned the block, painted it and the accessories black and all the aluminum parts silver. It also sports an 4WD Hardware polished aluminum valve cover. Ignition with be a DUI style HEI distrubutor. For now the induction will be stock BBD 2 bbl, but maybe later I'll swap to a Holley 390 cfm carb on a Clifford intake and a set of dual outlet headers.

My goals are 16 -18 mpg and more leg room. After the motor is bolted in I am cutting the firewall and moving both footwells back ahead about 8" which will help a lot. Plus I have yet to see a Studebaker powered by an AMC six so I'm sure that will cause some double takes. I have a long history with AMC sixes having owned half a dozen cars powered by them and still drive an AMC Eagle with over 200k on it.

Josh Quick

2. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I really like that and that's what hot rodding is all about, good for you.
    When I was a kid (early 60's) I knew a guy that had a Nash flathead 6 in a '50 Dodge... what ever worked back then.

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Interesting choice. Here I was thinkin a 390 or 401 V8. Which also woulda been cool.

AMC's can make some crazy power. Caught an episode of Pinks the other day and the baddest ass car on there was a 70 AMC. Sucks ass that he chucked a rod thru the block tho, that thing left HARD.

4. That guy is really gonna build that car after pinks. I just purchased the blowproof bell housing from him on the bay.....he is up grading and does not think that setup will work anymore. As far as the six goes, put in a turbo and it will really confuse the naysayers....and perform like a hot rod should....don

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hot rodding in its finest form!

6. mramc1

mramc1

Well I had to "run what I brung" in terms of parts as my budget is nonexistant. If the 258 sounds anything like the one in my Gremlin with a glasspack I'll be really happy. I'm running a single exhaust with a glasspack for now, but will go to split headers and duals in the future.

Josh Quick

"6 in a row makes it go."