Register now to get rid of these ads!

amc 360 opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Sep 16, 2010.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

just gathering some info on AMC 360's
    I searched, did not see too much....
    you guys like em? HAte em?
    What do I need to wathc for when running one?
    Any specific problems?

Thanks!

2. Google AMC SC360 to see what can be done with the old Rambler V8.

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

so...reliable, easy to find parts etc etc...
    Lookin at a family cruiser and it has one in it.
    I respect this forum more than pretty much anything else...
    rather hear from you guys if they are good or crap

4. George

George

AMC sold a lot of em! The dizzy/oil pump is in the timing cover. People used to open up the oil passages in the cover. As of a couple yrs ago the only replacement covers(if your pump area was worn) was poor quality Chinese stuff. Some add internal oil lines to improve perceeved oiling problems, but it's said that the lines can cause the oil pump to lose its prime unless the engine is a daily driver.

5. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Daily Driver is the goal....got another little gearhead on the way...
    need vehicle the wife can drive that is dependable

6. If a DD, then they are a stout little motor. Fairly high nickle content, some speed parts available. Look to Jeep sources. I built a fuel injected 401 for my Jeep with a torquey cam, forged pistons, roller drive train, headers and finned valve covers. There are still some AMC speed nuts out there that race these motors too.

7. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

sweet. that's what I needed to know, stout, easy to find parts, can hot it up a bit and it won't cost me an arm and a leg...gonna be haulin a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a newborn

8. LaunsToyShop

LaunsToyShop
    from Denver CO

The parts are out there to keep the AMC V8 running. I've had AMXs for 30 years. The 390s & 401s have forged cranks and rods, while the other motors run cast. The parts are higher priced than the big 3, but they are available if you search. The 360 are plentiful, and make decent power, you just don't want to spin them real hard. The oiling system is decent, I've had a few poorly machined front covers from Crown, that the distributor either would not fit at all, or the angle would cause it to bind with the cam gear. If you plan to spin the motor drag racing or just having fun on the street there are some modifications you should make.

9. I have done a few AMCs The last couple was a 401 and a 360 . i did them both at the same time as they were neighbours and pals.The 360 went in a javelin. The young lad drove it like a madman. I must say it was even to lil ol me an impressive engine. It went like stink and never not even once gave a seconds trouble in the several years he had it. He sold it for a good buck too. I have been involved with a 290 as well and have driven and tuned a 390 Scrambler for a friend . I think that 360 I built would have to be my favourite. It just seemed real happy from the moment he twisted the key.
    Don

10. 62rebel

62rebel

from what i've heard, you have to try and try HARD to kill one. knowing what to source replacement parts from to add strength is smart. considering the lifespan of the series in AMC products, i'd say that they're a damn good engine to trust.

11. I have a friend that's had 2 Rambler S/Cramblers and a Rebel Machine. All 390s. They ran great. Lots of torque. Not a engine to rev a lot. Very dependable Nice comact size too. He was always talking about the "dogleg" heads on the Rebel. Supposed to be the ones to have. I think it'd be a great choice too. There seems to be a lot of AMX's and Javalins popping up at car shows more and more.

12. You will find all you need for these engines at Summit, BullTear, and Mad Dog Performance. I run the snot out of the amc in my gasser, and so does my buddy Martin with the Space Kadet, and it is a 360 running mid 11's!

13. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

The only problem I have with an AMC 360 is that it takes up the same amount of space as an AMC 390... ;)

14. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

15. Pull it and replace it with a 390 FE.

Nothing inherently wrong with them as I recall.

16. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

290,304,343,360,390 and 401 is same casting.390 was the perfomance engine.I put a 360 Spirit about three years ago and it was pretty stout. I had a 401 in a 72 Gremlin in the mid 70s and it was indestructable. Pulled like a train. The early 401 breathed really well with with stock exhaust manifolds. I had no problem getting parts. Grand Cherokees had 360s and IH used 401s in some light duty trucks as well.

17. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

whats nice about the 360's the parts are cheeper than the 390-401's.most of the time you can buy one for a couple of hundred dollars and not have to worry about it.if you want to rebuild one you can buy a new crank with bearrings for $200.00.pistons-$100.00-300,and forged rods $200.00.with a decent set of heads{291c}and a torker intake they make some good power.this comes from exp.because its what i did for my car.and for the guy that said you cant rev them,last week i spun mine up to 7800{oops}but usually i spin it up to 7200.right now im putting together a 401 just because i like the forged crank-rods-piston idea,and as they say there is no replacement for displacement!!!my 360 is putting out about 360hp,and the 401 should be putting out almost 600hp.dont need it just want it.if you need any help or questions about amc engins or parts feel free to pm me.

Attached Files:

18. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

thanks guys you have been totally helpful...new project now in garage....

19. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

If you need any spare parts I got a buildable long block in pices. PM me, I need to get the thing out of my garage so Ill probably let ya have it for a song....

20. LikeClassicRides

LikeClassicRides

So what's the new ride? Us AMCers are dying to know.

21. Manimal

Manimal

I've got an AMC 360 in my Grand Wagoneer and absolutely LOVE it! You can also check out ifsja.org to get more info. There is a guy over there that built a 383 out of a 360 using off the shelf parts...on a REAL budget! Good Luck. They are GREAT engines
    -Lance

22. I have a 1970 AMC Rebel SST with a 360 engine that has been modified for performance. It has (major components) a Summit Racing street performance camshaft, double roller timing chain, roller rockers, 3000 rpm stall converter, manual shift reverse pattern A-727 transmission, 4.10:1 axle gear ratio, solid MOSER axle shafts and a Twin Grip model 20 differential. This car makes a lot of torque, is a blast to drive and has won all but 1 "street race" that I have undertook.

I have pounded on this car for 5 years. It has way more power than a stock 390 or 401. I have a 401 sitting in my storage unit. It is intended to be rebuilt and outfitted similarly as the 360 and then replace it as the new engine for the Rebel SST. I imagine that it will be a big step ahead of the present 360.