Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR winner 1955.. and more.. info needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustm52, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Kustm52

Kustm52

Could somebody point me to a list of the AMBR winners for the '50s? I met a guy last week who had some pictures of a roadster he owned and raced in the early '60's, it was supposed to have been the ambr winner in '55, but I did find a picture of the '55 winner (the "Shishkabob"), and that was not it. The roadster in question (I think it was a '32) was running a '32 shell with a solid insert, with a square opening for an air intake, had a monster pinstriped on the insert, and the opening was the monster's mouth.. chrome steel wheels and a single hoop rollbar if I remember correctly. Looked more like a bonneville car.. sound familiar to anyone? He also ran a '32 3w coupe that he said was built or sponsored by Rod Builder magazine (Rod Builder and and Customizer?), it was running a hemi the whole time he had it, won a/gas in chicago in '60 or '61... anyone have any info on this car?

Any help would be appreciated.. more info on my talk with him to come...

Thanks....Brian

2. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 55 the AMBR was taken out in the first ever draw between Blackie Gegeians Shishkabob Special and Ray Andereggs 27 T (A coupe with the roof cut off).
    Everyone knows Blackies car, heres a link to Rays car,
    http://www.roddersjournal.com/files/VonFranco.pdf

I have been lookig for a list of winners too............

Doc

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a feature on all the winners with photos in some magazine within the last 5 years I believe.

4. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

that would be The Rodders Journal, can't remember which issue tho'

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

There is a book called The Oakland Roadster Show 50 Years of Hot Rods and Customs by Andy Southard Jr and Dain Gingerelli produced by MBI Publishing Company ISBN 0-7603-0608-7
    Geoff[​IMG] aka whodaky

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it just me or does it warm the heart of others to see all those Fords lined up as winners of the AMBR??

7. Kustm52

Kustm52

Thanks for the list.. I bet it could be the 1956 winner (can't make out the name, Eddie B.... i need glasses!), any chance of getting a pic of it?

Brian

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Ed Bosio is the name and that was the former Edelbrock car which is now back in the Edelbrock Family Collection fully restored to it's Dry lakes look by Roy Brizio a couple of years back, So I don't think it was 56's winner.
    Kevin

9. Kustm52

Kustm52

This one?

[​IMG]

Brian

10. Mutt

Mutt

It may not have been the AMBR winner - it may have been the best competition car at the Oakland show.

Mutt

11. Foul

Foul