Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage AMBR 2024

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Jan 31, 2024.

1. 05snopro440

05snopro440

The top may be reminiscent of something of the era for you, but to me it looks to be a removable fiberglass top with bad 80's design. It doesn't fit the lines of the car, which is what I don't like about it. If you imagine the car without that top and that goofy modern curved windshield, it has way better lines. The top distracts from the lines, which it shouldn't in competition for "most beautiful roadster".

Fordors, lurker mick and Just Gary like this.
  2. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I really like several details of the pink car. One thing that's puzzling me in this photo is the steering wheel placement. There are two column drops under the dash and the wheel is nearly touching the seat. Does the column tilt or articulate, telescope? Doesn't seem like you could drive it like this, so I feel like I'm missing something.

[​IMG]

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'm still a Debby Downer about the most of the candidates. Butt ugly is a term that comes to mind. I'm with the 37Kid, the flamed highboy tub is at least a concentrated effort to have the sum of the parts all generally blend into one unit. It's my pick with the red fendered tub coming second. It has good lines and everything fits together in a coordinated unit. In my world I'm a top man always cutting and reshaping the irons and bows and using rolls and rolls of duct tape and masking tape for the right profile and have thrown away a couple of $3000 tops after the upholstery guy got them finished. Both tubs tops have the right look with the right amount of rear slant, side profile and top rake for the style of car they are. Nothing looks worse than a top on an A-34 roadster or tub that the back end looks like a T bucket. IMHO?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hard to figure out by just this photo, seems to be sitting cattiwampus as if it's some kind of tiltaway design, don't understand what that accomplishes, still, it's too close to the seat to be driveable, it must have a hidden tilt mechanism too, a lot of monkey motion going on I bet.
    I'd walk past a lot of the "pretty" cars but details of that column and related hookup would have me asking the owner if I could look under the dash.
    Yeh, I guess I better ask first!

05snopro440 likes this.
  5. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

@05snopro440 I'm anxious to hear about the steering wheel too!

I'd like the '37 'Kid better if it had traditional style Halibrands like the original.

Other than the '32 Tub, I hate all the wheels on the entries.

05snopro440 likes this.
  6. spanners

spanners

The real test would be watching them cruise down the highway. I've never been a big fan of static displays, I'd rather see them on the road and go "that's a shit hot piece of machinery".

Kelly Burns and David Gersic like this.
  7. not speaking for anyone on the pink roadster but….
    The steering wheels are machined in house. Probably everything in that picture was built in house except the gauges themselves. I’d bet what they’re mounted in was built by em. Plus the radius rods, dog bones, brakes and they’ve been know to whittle their own front axles.
    They even make their own radiators.
    Ive never seen this particular car. Didn’t even know they were building it. But steering wheel, seats, pedals and shifters was more than likely made to fit the owner.
    After getting to see the color in better light I really dig it.
    And I’d bet the house they knew a lot wouldn’t and could care less

8. 05snopro440

05snopro440

Regardless of who made the parts used I have no doubt it was made to fit the owner, but how can it fit anyone when the wheel is 1" off the seat? There must be something to it, because I don't see how anyone could drive the car in the pictured configuration. Plus there's a second column drop. Maybe the column pivots?

9. Don’t know.

The owner fits whatever is going on
    Alan knows what he’s doing.

Steering wheel looks about the same placement for a 50s corvette

milwscruffy likes this.
  10. GuyW

GuyW

I enjoy the non-contenders the most, built for what they like, not for the judges...

oliver westlund likes this.
  11. I’d bet the AMBR contenders built exactly what they liked

12. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I am reminded how few AMBR winners were beautiful, to me.

IMG_4214.jpeg

13. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

14. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Really,
    I would have to test drive them before I could consider voting
    these aren’t just pretty girls here

15. alchemy

alchemy

Are the guys saying they can’t stand the pink paint the same ones who loved the Barf Bag Coupe last year? Sometimes a different color is good!

16. Squablow

Squablow

20240202_172539_HDR.jpg

OK, admittedly, a horrible picture. But the steering wheel in my '57 is only about 2 inches from the top of the seat, when no one is sitting in it. And I fit in it very comfortably, and I am not small. If that seat has some give to the cushion, and assuming it was built around the 18 year old female owner, I don't think the column necessarily needs to tilt or telescope to be driveable. The cushion sinks down when someone sits there, and the driver's legs go on either side of the wheel.

My personal favorite is still the '34, but I definitely wouldn't mind if the pink car wins.

17. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I think Jimmy B may be on to something. It could very well be there are some guys holding for next year, being the 75th. In any case, I’m torn between the two tubs. The black flamed one has a definite hot rod look, while the fendered car is a little more Street Roddy. I like them both, but each for different reasons. Of course if I was there, I might see them all differently.

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ya know, I'm guessing there aren't any rules to be in contention for the AMBR award stating "MORE HAMBY LESS STREETRODDY".
    We are close to being on two separate wavelengths, doesn't mean we can't acknowledge each other once a year.

CSPIDY, 05snopro440 and Squablow like this.
  19. This would explain the column length.
    The cockpit has been lengthened
    IMG_6876.jpeg
    IMG_6874.jpeg

Attached Files:

05snopro440 and A Boner like this.
  20. Lucky hit the nail right on the head IMO. This is no longer a contest for 'Americas Most Beautiful Roadster', it should be re-named 'Americas Most Detailed Roadster'. While the craftmanship is impeccable, the artistic inspiration just isn't there anymore on any kind of scale. It's become a contest of details...

If you look at the history of the AMBR, for the first 20 years (1950-1969) fully half of the winners were custom rods rather than hot rods. Customs were still very much a part of the hobby. Starting with Ray Anderegg's T, you had the Barris-built Ala Kart (won twice) and Twister T, Chuck Kirkorian's Emperor, the XR-6 from Tex Smith, Casper's Ghost from Carl Casper, Joe Wilhelm's Wild Dream, Bob Reisner's Invader and Art Himsl's Alien. These last two were outliers, neither had any styling cues to tie them to a 'traditional' vibe. Also note that only one '32 Ford won in this period (1956), a '32 wouldn't appear in the winner's circle again until 1978. Now, love 'em or hate 'em, most of these winners are now icons, instantly recognizable by most students of the hobby.

Recognizing the excesses of the Invader and Alien, builders and judges pulled back in the '70s, returning to mostly traditional style builds. 1978 saw the 'invasion' of the '32 Fords start here, closing out the decade. The '80s started much the same until Don Varner showed up with his California Star in 1984. Purportedly a '27 T-based car, it had virtually zero T parts or styling cues on it anywhere. While a tour deforce in fabrication, the overwhelming Indy car influence erased any 'hot rod' aspect. This car opened the floodgates with fully fabricated bodies becoming common, enough so that the judging criteria was changed later to limit their impact. Unfortunately, the cartoonish styling (IMO) coupled with spindly IFS and IRS suspensions, big wheels and ultra-low profile tires divorced them from any connection to even a semi-traditional build. It didn't help that many of these builders built multiple versions of the same cars, diluting their impact. Most are or will be forgotten.

So we're back where we started sorta... The cars are showing up with mostly stock bodies (or the mods are so subtle as to be nearly invisible) with trick running gear as the 'feature'. And details... endless details.

One thing I find interesting is this has been a Ford fest from the beginning. Surely there are other roadster bodies out there, yet almost none are showing up here. Since 1980, '32 Fords have won a dominating 43%, T/As 18%, '33/34 another 18%, and '36/37 another 14% (no '35s for some reason). Non-Fords (two Chevys and a Packard) only 7%.

I guess 'Dare to be different' is falling on a lot of deaf ears....

21. GuyW

GuyW

....as informed by their concept of what would win....

Crazy Steve likes this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It would be nice to get a close up look at them, my pick up a few ideas for some future build. I'm sure there are many that would work for our cars.

23. 05snopro440

05snopro440

anthony myrick likes this.
  24. Nope.
    Maybe some.
    I’d bet most just built what they like to the best level they could.
    If the judges dig it cool.
    If not, oh well

K13 likes this.
  25. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I saw a picture on Instagram where she's sitting on the seat and the steering wheel appears higher in the car. In that photo you can also see the column is short and connects to a universal joint and then a shaft which exits the firewall low. Makes sense now why they need two supports for the shorty column, and I would bet that they made it so it can adjust up and down.

anthony myrick likes this.
  26. Joe Troilo

Joe Troilo

If I had that steering column set up I would lower it on purpose so those inquiring minds that looked at
    it would talk about my car. That's the name of the game is it not?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built an elevator column drop with notches in the side and a ratchet to serve as a "tilt column". I couldn't make it stable to drive safely. Maybe that is the reason for the second drop? Just speculating. I am not impressed. I wish I had a horse in the race this year.

Moriarity likes this.
  28. My opinion that's doesn't mean a rats ass. First let me say, I'm not going to bash any of them, every one of them has to be built to the highest quality to be in the running for the AMBR. Does style count? How can it, because every one of those cars looks right in someones eye. Do they all look good in my eye? HELL no. Some of them I wouldn't even drive. Every car I look at, even mine, I see something I'd change. So that being said, from a style stand point, as that's all we have to go on here, we're not there to see them in person, this is my pick, in order of picture posting, #1, Red 32 Roadster, not my cup of tea, I wouldn't want it, very nice street rod belly button 32. #2, Black and flamed 32 Phaeton, Very nice, I like it, maybe I wouldn't have channeled it. Might be my favorite. #3 Black 34 full fendered Roadster, I like it, well this one might be my favorite, might need a white top. #4, 32 big block blower car. Nothing about that car looks right, I'd walk right past it, worst one of the bunch, if the build quality is up there, which it has to be to be in competition for the AMBR, it could win. That would be a sad thing. #5, 32 Phaeton, typical 80's street rod, I'm sure it's nice, it could win, I wouldn't want it. #6, Pink 32 Roadster, I like it, I like the pink, needs hubcaps. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it won. #7, Black full fendered 32, see #5. #8, Black Chevy Roadster, see #4, yuck! #9, Black, or is it Brown 32 Roadster pickup, I don't like it. I hope it doesn't win. So for me there's 3 out of the bunch that I would like to own, #2, #3, and #6. I went to KC today to the World of Wheels. Kind of a sorry ass show, but it's all have now. Nothing really flipped my switch, some nice cars, but no real excitement. My opinion. Take it for what it is. Thank you. Have a blessed day.

A Boner and Jimmy B like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I would think building an AMBR or Pebble Beach Best in Show winner would put the shop on the map, and add to the line of customers waiting for their finished ride. Next year, being the 75th is a reason to start planning on being there. Bob

Unkl Ian and TerrytheK like this.