Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs AMAZING DAY! HOLY GRAIL! DREAM COME TRUE! 1940 Mercury Coupe TWO OF EM!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sparkydeluxe, Jul 14, 2012.

1. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Congrats, what a score. The bodies look amazing, please keep sharing the progress.

2. Holy camoley! Talk about the score of a lifetime. I used to see all kinds of vintage tin hiding in back alleys and behind farmers barns all over Colorado. I remember peeking into a ravine out around Punkin Center (we were hunting antelope) and seeing a treasure trove of vintage trucks, cars and tractors. This rancher had been stashing all the old farm / family vehicles out of sight for 60+ years. When they quit running, he'd just drag them out and park them in the ravine. Have a blast building both of them!

3. khead47

khead47

4. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Patience, persistence and a fair amount of luck went into this deal. Congratulations, and please keep the hamb informed with a build thread.

5. Wow! Beautiful, man! What a score!

6. resto-rodder

resto-rodder

A great find! You just don't find complete '40 Merc coupes like both of these anymore! I would rebuild the Merc flathead that is already in one of them.
    Makes me want to start working on my '40 coupe after storing it for too many years.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome score. Looks like they're in great hands. Looks like the guy also had a helluva tin toy collection too.

8. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Nice Sparky, very nice...Kevin Gallegos just got his painted and a new Carson type top on it...hope you make yours a sled...there's not enuff of them around.

R-

10. fms427

fms427

Well, don't be greedy - you don't need two - sell me one :D !!!

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

If you keep pursuing your dream, it does happen! Congrats!

12. shoebox50

shoebox50

13. sled

sled

Mmm,thinking on this post i feel extremely lucky...found five of em in the last recent years,wich is a good average...all coupes,i dont count the moredoor cars
    We need more of therse back in the streets,no doubt

14. rld14

rld14

Nice find! Saw in the other thread that your wife is into cars, you gonna do His n Her Mercs?

15. StrickV8

StrickV8

not 1 but 2??? was meant to be. i'm sharing your same dream. hope mine comes thru! can't wait to hear your vision and see progress. congrats!

16. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

Awesome score. Congrats!

17. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

wow!!!!! congradulations.

18. Pot of Gold!!!!! I always say....keep looking for the rainbows!!! Great score...

19. Thanks a lot guys! Still can't believe it. Honest to God it's one thing to finally have the car I've always wanted, but to have these PERTICULAR cars is just amazing.

So one I will be keeping for sure, the other will likely be fooled with for a while but sold in the future. I just can't handle two projects and hope that they both turn out as nice as I want them to. This car was to be my END ALL, it would hurt me to half ass anything just for the sake of getting two on the road. Hopefully someone else with the same dream as mine will have there's come true when the other goes.

Plans for the one I'm keeping include flat black paint and red rims, hoping to find a talented airbrush guy that can paint skulls on the whole top half of the car, with a tribal border between the top and the lower half, which will likely be kia green. If possible I'd love to figure out a hydraulic system as this thing is just BEGGING to be on three wheels!

Ok ok stop yelling at your computer. Seriously I'm a friggin kustom PURIST at heart and it's a gul dang 40 merc coupe! I don't need the ghost of Sam Barris haunting me for the rest of my life! My plans include giving this car the respect it deserves, and going traditional. I may deviate from that slightly in mechanical decisions (i.e. there may be a flathead for sale here soon in the future), but otherwise that's the only direction to go.

20. I love them 40 Merc's, had one in HS back in '60-'61, never had $$$$ to do Kustom work.
    Your a LUCKY GUY!

Attached Files:

21. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Man those are really nice! Congrats!

22. redroaddog

redroaddog

thats some funny shit!!!! had me going lol!!! do it up right:D

23. AdrianS

AdrianS
    from California

I'm happy that your patience and ultimate respect for the gentleman, his wife, and the cars won out. Good for you. Congratulations.

24. gotit

gotit

Congrats man! I love that CO still has this stuff available. I have had great luck around me.

If you decide to sell the flathead let me know. I want to get an 8 flat for my model a in the near future.

25. big creep

big creep

you lucky fucker!!!!

26. I thought that was the buyers garage. I must have read it wrong.

27. jwcaddy

jwcaddy
    from golden,co.

Nice score Sparky!!!! I have lived in Golden my whole life and my dad would take me by there for the past 30 years. He would tell me thats the best custom to build. I went to school with his twin nieces Joyce and Janice. I talked to him back in November and he said he would sell them but we didnt really discuss anything. I went into pizza hut in feburary and Joyce told me he passed away. R.I.P Craig Selby and was a great guy to talk to. Hope you have great luck with your build and cant wait to see the process. Jason

28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nice find how about a build thread

29. sololobo

sololobo

Couldn't sleep, Merc's in the garage!! Congrats bro! ~sololobo~

30. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

congrats! I want one...I would even be interested in the one with the skulls painted on it...

Jeff