Register now to get rid of these ads!

Amazing 66 Mercury shed find from yesterday. WOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1320Paul, May 30, 2011.

1. 1320Paul

1320Paul

I realize this car isn't quite HAMB friendly but thought people would enjoy the story. I Never thought something like this would happen to me again but it did yesterday.

A good buddy of mine, who is always driving something cool and old, got a call from an insurance agent mentioning a little old lady client of his was looking to sell her car. The guy told my buddy it was a 66 Catalina that she had since new and gave him her phone number. He had the number for about a week not thinking anything of it until we decided to go for a drive yesterday.

Of course on the way there we joked about finding a minty big block car in a barn stashed away for years, like all car guys do. We figured it would be a rusted 66 Catalina straight 6 or something like that. We pull up to the old house, knock on the door, and out comes the nicest little old lady you could ever meet. "You here about the car?" she asks. Five feet tall and sharp as a tack. "I turned 90 in the fall and still chop my own firewood" she says. Then she walks with us back to the garage.

My buddy helps her open the doors and looks inside...then looks back at me slack jawed...It wasn't a 66 Catalina. Inside is the nicest, original, 1966 Mercury Montclair you've ever seen. Fine, it wasn't a big block Vette, but being a Mercury guy I just about fell over. BEAUTIFUL car. Garaged it's whole life. 93,000 miles and not a spot of rust anywhere. Bought it new in 1966 with her husband who passed away 10 years ago. Her daughters were bugging her to get rid of it. I lifted the hood and there's a 2 barrel 390 staring me in the face. The only things not original on the car were the cap, plugs, wires, fan belt, battery, and muffler. The original white paint is MINT. The blue interior has been covered with seat covers since day one, including the package tray. The dash gleams. Just a small crack in the dash pad. Unreal.

Of course the conversation turned to price. She said she was taking bids on it unfortunately. One guy made her an offer and her neighbor wanted the car too she mentioned. She admitted she didn't want to sell but figured it was time. She asked my buddy to think about it a couple days and get back to her. We jumped in my truck and drove away still in shock. Never say never I guess. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics. If I knew what was there I woulda brought a better camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. aceuh

aceuh

I'm not a Mercury man... But I dig old cars... No idea what thing is worth... but I'd love to call it my own... and drive the devil out of it!

Good Luck!

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Hard to find something like that and then discover there's five other guys with standing offers on it.

Good luck if you decide to toss your hat in the ring.

dj

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

That's beautiful. I had one 25 years ago but it was not as nice as that one.

5. Swifster

Swifster

Old Cars Price Guide lists the Montclair at $8500 in #2 condition. Toss an offer at $6K and see if it works. Enough room to make money and a fair price to drive the wheels off of it. And other than doing a tune up and maybe a set of tires, I wouldn't do a thing to that car.

6. 1320Paul

1320Paul

My friends boss might put in a bid. He's a zillionaire with quite the collection. I still can't get over what nice shape the Merc is in. I thought the 66 comet i found was nice. 64,000 original miles and I got it off the 2nd owner who never drove it. This Montclair puts my car to shame.

7. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

too bad the old lady didn't buy a GTO....