Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by White_Attack, Oct 3, 2012.

1. flathead okie

flathead okie

My Dad liked old cars. He would usually just rebuild the mechanics in them maybe put new J.C. Whitney upholstrey in it, paint it, sell it.
    Then while I was in high school a friend of his talked him into hoping up one.
    He bought a 34 Olds, rebuilt the suspension, put a "modern straight chevy six in it, had it custom upholstered and painted, I cut all the new wood work for it in woodshop.. He kept that car for over 10 yrs..
    Then he built a 39 chevy 2 dr sedan, cut the top off, built a custom convertible top for it, put a 68 Javelin 290 4 spd, posi. then quit working on it. It sat for 5 yrs and he sold it. I helped him with most of his cars. He retired from th Air Force and the Railroad and would always have something to work on.
    My brothers(3)never were interested in old cars, just muscle cars, and now their not interested in them.

2. 2935ford

2935ford

I'm the first and only one in my family.

3. nope, my friends dad was when i was a kid and still is. i stayed at his house alot helping him as best i could with his 57 chevy. thats been 35 years ago and i just helped him finish up his latest, 37 chevy coupe. i lived for "hot rod" magazines and model cars. didn't bother me at all that no one in the house cared about old cars.

do the body shop deal. i wish i would have had a leg up like that. go to some car shows and cruise in's and hang out here on the hamb and make some friends.

4. rat nasty

rat nasty

if it makes you feel any better I do most all my own work as well! look here for good advice and look at build threads do a lot of research most times you will find the answers you need! hit all the cruises,rod runs,gatherings,etc that you can and meet all the people around this hobby you can! good luck!

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

my dad always told me not to mess with the cars take it to some one and let them fix it my grand dad told me to try if i f#@%$d it up try again till i got it right been learning from my mistakes for 45 yrs now just wished my daughters or son in law or grand sons was interested in learning

6. RayJarvis

RayJarvis

they say genetics can skip a generation ,so maybe you got lucky and inherited the hot rod gene . good job. ray

7. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

you can do it on your own. it just takes a little longer and is a little harder. when you get to be a old coot with lots of knowledge, just be sure to share with someone else.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

My father was an outdoorsman, a hunter, and fisherman; so are my two brothers. I can't stand it, or "sports". I was always a "tinkerer", tearing things apart and putting them back together, and sometimes they did'nt work afterwards (?). I also made money mowing lawns, had a couple of paper routes, and always, marched to the beat of a different drummer, as they say. Rather than be encouraged, I was berated for it. It was in high school, while working in a Standard-Chevron Station, that I realized I did'nt like working on other peoples cars. I liked working on my own stuff, or helping a friend. I had a career in healthcare, working on people, and I really liked that. I always though I was the "only one" in my family. After working in other fields for a few years, my two sisters followed their brother into healthcare; one is an R.N., the other a Lab Tech. I was an X-Ray/CAT Scan Tech. My older sister even rebuilt the engine in her 68 Camaro (327), without my help. I've been a tinkerer, a motorhead, a drag racer, and now I'm just a guy who likes old cars and working on them. Like that song, "I Did it My Way", I did it my way. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

I grew up Hot Rod. Much of my family know cars until about 7y.o. when it all got parked in the backyard in the 80's. When I graduated H.S., somehow all classics were gone. At 19 I bought my 68chevelle & been having so much fun since.

I haven't had any help since . . . well never, all done myself. And it's so much fun that you want to share the fun but . . . . . your by yourself. Good thing there's the HAMB.

We're their with you brother, here on the HAMB.

10. My father was interested in the old cars that delivered bootleg whiskey to the house. Good thing they had full service gas stations back then. I doubt he knew how to check the oil.

11. Downtime

Downtime

when my dad found out about my buick, the first words out his mouth were "You bought a WHAT? What Fuck were you thinking?" Even funnier since my pops never cusses.

I don't know i just woke up one day and decided i had to have one, shopped for over a year, and been reading the heck out of HAMB and harassing friends who are actually good at this hobby. 4 weeks into my first classic car, still enjoying it, learned how to drive 3 on the tree, and pretty much clueless. But trying to learn

12. deto

deto

My pops wasn't into cars. I have no clue where my passion came from...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. dmikulec

dmikulec

Nope, not alone. Nobody in our family cared about cars for anything other than basic transporation. Not until my mom's brother started rebuilding his Firebird that he'd bought new after he'd returned from Vietnam. That and my neighbor Jimmy K who let me hang out in his garage as he was building his first drag car.

14. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

My dad was a great guy, but didn't get it. Wanted to by a 57 supercharged black Stude coupe with a 4-speed that was traded in to the local Ford dealer. Cost was $350 in 1967. I had the cash, he wouldn't go for it as "you'll never get parts." First car was then a 4-door Poncho Tempest. Not my choice, naturally, but it did have a nice front bench seat for dating. Eventually traded it for a 65 metallic green Impala two door hardtop while in college. Wanted to put rims on it but, "that doesn't make it run any better." Also when it came time for tires, he was buying, so I ended up running snow tires on the back year 'round, cause he wasn't buying those extra.

15. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

No one in my family has the least bit of interest in old cars. High School Auto Shop was a great substitute

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

You're a female with some cool rides. Being on the HAMB is equal to you walking into a comic book store. I bet you'll have some help soon enough. ;) good luck on all your projects.

Sent from my Droid powered Samsung Galaxy S

17. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

I'm the only one, just told my dad about my Ford the other day and he just kind of skipped the subject, thankfully I have a great group of friends who are into cars as well so I have the help when I need it...but as for the family, they all think I've lost my mind...and let's not even get started about my tattoos...I think I've been booted out of the will for those lol...

18. Irishman

Irishman

I'm the first one ever in my family. I had to move to the US where it was only a matter of time before it happened...

19. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

My whole family & the in - laws don't have a clue why I "waste" my time working on "those" old cars!!! Like Clint Eastwoods family in "Grand Torino" mine will probably be bummed when they don't get left with the cars when I croak!!! :D

20. The HAT

The HAT
    from Tulsa

I have a new sharpy, and some spare time.............LMAO j/k

21. RT166Garage

RT166Garage
    from ohio

I have a differant problem .I have no one else in my family who is interested in working on old cars.I have the tools ,garage ect. Sometimes i just what to sell it off And retire, I could use a girl
    with a dog and a 49 Ford...

22. 2002p51

2002p51

I picked up the hot rod bug all by myself too. A car was nothing more to my dad than something you needed to get from A to B. My mom hated to drive and only did so because she had to get to work.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lone wolf here too, just seem to have been born with the "car thing" ,no one else in the family has the addiction.

24. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Been at this by all my lonesome self. Though I can say my Mom kinda helped kick in or support my old car sickness. She took me to my first car show. She'd bring me out of date magazines she could get for free and at Christmas would stick a Custom Rodder in my stocking. I never met my dad and didn't have a so called father figure who could actually do more than change plugs. I got my itch because I hated new cars and I was tired of boring same ole same. Nope you are not alone.

25. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

There's lots of us out here bud....no one in my family was into cars either, it just bit me early when a friends older brother offered me a ride to the store in his lowboy roadster. This was in '58 and man that car has been in my head ever since. I'm 65 now and my best friend and helper is my 95lb wife, but I know what you mean about having friends over to bullshit and drink beer and work on your or whoevers car...those are..were..good times. You just adapt to whatever life gives you and go on, beats the alternative.

26. shadams

shadams

Same here man, everyone asks how the trucks coming just to be nice, but no one really gives a flip. I have managed to do just about everything my myself. Had a buddy help me lift off the cab, but put it back on myself. My wife and I removed and installed the engine and trans, and on and on.

I am always envious of the build threads with dudes all over working, drinking beer with other bad ass cars/trucks in the drive...boo hoo....

27. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

Mt dad used to have a 57 chevy... but As long as I have been around he has not been a car guy... I don't know how it appealed to me either... just did.

28. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I have a buddy who's entire family are car people. All or their cars are drivers ...and they drive them. The thing that really impresses me is that all of their kids are also car people , the husbands , the wives,....they all are involved . And now , even the little grandchildren go along ....in car seats in the back of a Chevy panel , or a 32 Ford Tudor, or a 37 Plymouth. I would love to find a way to get my wife interested , but I think that will never happen. Nor will my two sons ever be interested. I can't imagine how much more fun it would be to have family that takes part in my hobby.

29. Sounds to me like you need to make a friend or two as opposed to paying a total stranger to come and check otu what it is that you have to steal.

While I have had the opportunity to have been born into a household with someone who turned wrenches for a living I don't feel the need to look up to anyone. If you must look up to someone choose anyone on this site except for me, I will only disappoint you.

30. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

This quote from Frank Zappa comes to mind:
    "If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it."