Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I the Only One ? Aging ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicarnut, Nov 22, 2021.

1. jazz1

jazz1

My neighbor accidentally hit the “lift” button while snoozing…woke up falling to the ground…just saying..

Deuces, wicarnut, seb fontana and 3 others like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

There are as many reasons for needing to use a scooter as there are users, everyone has a personal story and every story is unique; but how many are there due to obesity? That is something you can do something about. The #1 most common denominator for those who struggle/die from covid for instance (besides age) is obesity. Weight has a horrible effect on overall general health. Talk about legs being the first thing to go, yeah for a lot of folks it may be due to things like motorcycle accidents, but weight is the #1 reason for the need for knee replacements, for problems with feet and ankles. Obesity and heart disease go hand in hand. Do something about your weight.

3. bubba55

bubba55

The body remembers what the mind forgets - some of us age better than others but I’m not one of those - motion is lotion - as long as I can move then bring on the day and let’s see what happens - be happy just to be alive

Deuces, wicarnut and hotrodjack33 like this.
  4. Get up and get going, I'm in my 81's year and as my wife says when I'm humped over walking around " stand up straight, the pain will be the same and humped over looks like shit". Swim, skate , surf, work on your HAMB cars. I'm going to sand and primer paint my 39/40 Ford tub hood today. GET MOVIN'. JW Well I might surf over to my couch and watch TV's American Gangster first, HAHAHHahahahah!!!! I'm surfin'.
    [​IMG]

5. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know lots of guys need scooters for genuine reasons and I'm glad they're available to help people who otherwise wouldn't be able to attend these swap meets. But inconsiderate old fat dudes whizzing around at 20 mph on motor scooters plowing through people, blocking access for foot traffic and knocking shit over is incredibly annoying.

Deuces, CME1, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some days I feel like we have the same birthday:(
    [​IMG]

Deuces, Irish Mike, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  7. I have been trying to figure if I Want to Do a operation or Not
    I Take Pain killer's every 8 hour's & it eases the pain & I could walk & Drive
    I know that at my age some Guy's would Give up But since I am
    Different I will Keep on Fighting to Gain my Goal. ( ps ) I am 87

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Long & Die a Fool

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

No, memory goes first and I can't remember what goes next.

Jack Wagon, Deuces, LAROKE and 4 others like this.
  10. Binkman

Binkman

I never really noticed it or thought about it until last year.
    I went to the lumber yard for some fence post concrete.
    I was getting ready to load some 80 lb sacks when the guy on the forklift came running over and suggested the 60 lb sacks. He said "they didn't want anyone to get hurt". Then recently I was moving a bunch of stuff and had to move a blown big block on an engne stand into the old shop. When I went to move it I though the wheels were just stiff. I thought about it a while and decided to pull the 6-71 and carbs off to make it less top heavy.
    When I went to pull the blower/manifold/carbs it would not budge.
    A little later some buddies stopped by and two of us lifted it off. I weighed it and it it a hair over 100 lbs.
    I can remember when 100 lbs was nothing.
    At least no one got hurt.

ffr1222k, Deuces, LAROKE and 9 others like this.
  11. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when my folks were in their 80s their favorite joke was about a resident of an old-folks home whose new boyfriend was poor, ugly and never bathed, but he could drive at night!

Jack Wagon, Deuces, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  12. I was telling a family friend my dad's age (early 70s) about my Model A vintage stock car build.

The friend said "I am over the high performance, racing thing"

My dad replied, "HOLY SHIT!! I hope I never get old!!"

Deuces, wicarnut, tiredford and 4 others like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

For whatever reason, there seems to be an aversion among the "car" crowd of most things athletic and physical. I don't know if it's like that in other parts of the country, but I look to the guys I see on a regular basis, and even guys around my own age (I'm 37), and none of them are what I would consider prime physical specimens. I don't exempt myself from that description either. There was a point in my life where I was in the gym 4-5 times a week, skating and playing men's league hockey at least once a week, and eating heathy. But as time went on, work took priority, then a family, house projects, car projects, and so on, and the bad habits start creeping in. Less healthy foods, less exercise, more sitting and relaxing.... it's a cumulative effect. Sure there are some things we have little or no control over, but a lot we do.

I see guys on here at some pretty advanced age and I can't help but think about how lucky one is to get that far. Sure it must suck having the aches and pains, but I also know too many people who haven't had the privilege of growing old, and that seems worse. Fellas, we need to take care of ourselves. Exercise, healthy diet, not smoking, not drinking to excess, regular physicals and blood work. I've recommitted myself to prioritizing a healthy lifestyle. I finally had a surgery to repair a nagging hernia I've had for years last week, and finally felt well enough to start some light workouts, working to drop 15 lbs by the end of Spring. Hoping I can lower my cholesterol with a better diet too. Bottom line is we can't be building and driving our cars if we're not around. Take care of yourselves.

Stock Racer, echo ed, Deuces and 8 others like this.
  14. Well I Had my Surgery done on Dec. 22 in the AM & Iis Home.!
    in Good Condition & I Never Felt a thing, so I have to
    wait a couple of Days to have my Stitch's talking Out
    No more Pain Killer's, so soon I will be Back to Playing with my
    Mercury!

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

ffr1222k, bobss396, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  15. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I was doing fine until 2019. Covid got me. Been an uphill battle ever since. I'm 83 now and am starting to feel OLD. I'm afraid Covid has taken its toll on me. If you havent been vaccinated, do it.

ffr1222k, safetythird, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  16. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I JUST BOUGHT A SCOOTER & TOOK IT TO CRUISIN THE COAST
    SAVED MY ASS FROM ALL THAT WALKING AND I WENT TO EVENTS THAT I USUALLY MISS

17. X-cpe

X-cpe

I guess the next allowable "non-traditional component" on our cars will be a scooter carrier. :D

vtx1800, loudbang, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  18. spanners

spanners

Don't forget it's not always a case of sedentary lifestyle that creates an unwillingness to exercise. I'm near 65 and spent the last 40 years as a truck driver. Full 24 tonne loads of steel reinforcing steel unloaded using nothing but a 6 foot crowbar a couple of times a day or hand loading 3 layers of wool bales on a 40' trailer several times a day. My wife asks whenever I take a painkiller "where is the pain?" I tell her it's easier to say where it doesn't hurt.

kjmmm, X-cpe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  19. I alway kind of laugh when I hear this. We get high school and college football players in the shop as summer help every year. They walk in the shop at 5:30 A.M. Monday with that typical jock strut and bragging about their work outs and how they are going to out work all those old farts (I had no idea at 40 I was an old fart).

At 7:30 A.M. after a hour and half of work they are winded huffing and puffing and the sweat is rolling out of them, and they being scolded for the sitting down for the fourth or fifth time. All us "old farts" are just getting going not a drop of sweat.

If they make it to the end of a 45 plus hour work week without quiting they are worn out, mean while all the old timers have knocked out double the amount of work plus what ever side or farm work and are still ready to go.

loudbang, Deuces and wicarnut like this.
  20. spanners

spanners

That's because us old farts usually work smarter ,that is, we don't go like a bull at a gate where as the young'uns have egos to exhibit.

21. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

Health issues and injuries aside, I try to follow two mottos.
    1. Age is a frame of mind!
    2. Use it or loose it!
    Having said that, thank God for Tiger Balm, Aspirin and copper compression sleeves! ;)

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, @wicarnut , I believe we've answered your question...
    "Am I the only one?"
    "Nope." :)

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

63 now..got lucky..as strong as i was in my thirties...learned to stay away from processed foods , sugar , white bread 25 years ago.. we eat .fruits every day , take super food nutrients...friends use to make fun of me...they are not laughing anymore...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    Deuces and wicarnut like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

I already did.... From 276 pounds down to???.... about 168ish.... And I'm only 5'7"....

25. We are all getting older every day, unfortunately as the days & weeks pass we keep adding members to the ever growing Emeritus list. HRP

26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's awesome, congratulations! Good job, it takes a lot of discipline to lose weight like that. I salute you.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also salute you, @Deuces !
    Not easy. But worth it.
    I'm just short of 65 and finally quit smoking cigarettes a couple months ago.
    Not easy. But worth it.

28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

... There were scooter burnout marks on the sidewalk this year

At least now I know why.

29. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you sir....:)

wicarnut, Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  30. Deuces

Deuces

Thank you also!!!... I'm still smoking.... :( Ever since I was 14...:(:(:(

wicarnut and loudbang like this.