Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I stuck with the circle track breathers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J&JHotrods, Jul 21, 2009.

1. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

...that weld to the top of the v. cover, or does anyone make the old oval valve cover breathers that attach/weld to the sides of the valve covers? My dad and I have always wanted to use these newer, non-HAMB-friendly valve covers, but now that I look at them(and realizing that these raised-rail heads will allow me to run short, original chevrolet-script covers and still clear the valvetrain), I am looking for other options.
    I have some old finned black crinkle paint edelbrock covers, but I would like to use the o.e. short 'chevrolet' script covers and weld some breathers to the sides(as opposed to the top). The breathers I have pictured in my head are oval, and the tube bends 90 degrees upwards, with the breather facing up. Am I thinking of the old moon breathers?
    It's a '57 chevy two door wagon, and I think the script covers are 'proper' for this wagon.

Attached Files:

2. Well I havent seen any steel ones but Moon and Ofenhouser and others make cast alum ones still. Goto the moon website. I put some on my hemi.

3. Is this what you're thinking of? Speedway has them and I think Moon also.

Attached Files:

4. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Yes, those are the ones. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen steel ones either. I wouldn't be opposed to making the base out of steel if I could figure out a way to attach the breather. Do they seal up ok?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Always worked for me.

6. They all come with gaskets

7. S.Sutherland

S.Sutherland
    from Fontana,CA

I'm pretty sure you drill holes on the manifold side, mount the bretahers facing up and are done. I might be mistaken though.
    Good Luck,
    Seth

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's pretty simple to cut the gaskets from cork gasket material. I know of no law that prohibits someone from painting them. They originally came with a rubber foam inside between perforated plates that deteriorated over the years. I cut strips of Scotch brite from the grocery store to replace the foam inside.

[​IMG]

You can see the holes in the valve cover to let they breathe.

9. doctorZ

doctorZ

offenhauser made them too. i don't think they are still making them though.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Put a hose fitting into the side of the valvecover and run it into the filtered side of the air cleaner.

11. Now that my pcv is working, I'm getting ready to drill my vette finned covers for the small breathers on these
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and another shot of the type of holes you need to drill in your covers

[​IMG]

12. mistoo

mistoo
    from Sweden