Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Am I ruining a 34 roadster??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by yankee mike, Nov 11, 2015.

1. I would commit speed and blasphemy with that

curbspeed and volvobrynk like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

We did the same sort of deal to an original '32 and kept all the stock parts so it could be returned to original again by my great-great-great grandson. Yeah right.....it will never be stock again.

I totally approve the changes you've listed, but must add reversed eye springs and a dropped axle.

fnjunk and volvobrynk like this.
  3. spooler41

spooler41

Mike, this is your car. Go ahead and truly make it yours. It doesn't
    sound like you are going to make any unreversible changes .
    Just go for it and enjoy your new hot rod.

..................... Jack

4. My opinion is probably usless to you BUT....Are you a wealthy man?? it will be worth much more in stock condition in just a few more years....There are many old 34s that can be hotrodded..Why ruin such a fine specimen?

46international and Johnboy34 like this.
  5. exterminator

exterminator

Update it-you will enjoy it more!

6. finn

finn

For God's sake, don't put a SBC in it.

Your plan seems sound to me.

J. A. Miller and volvobrynk like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I wonder who it is that will set this value higher in just a few short years? Cars (and everything else) are worth what someone will pay for them. I've noticed that the old guys who really appreciate these cars in original condition, are all dying off. Are there more museums opening, that need a car like this?

Tough dilemma, but maybe not so tough when you see so many positive responses to your question.

It's your car, do only what your conscience will allow. It would be neat to get it out on the road again...downside is there will be one less really correct, nice, original car left. Maybe it's a sacrifice worth making.

gas pumper and volvobrynk like this.
  8. A tasteful early 40's style rod would be sweet. I'd leave the mechanical brakes (they are plenty safe properly adjusted), invest in a prewar dual carb intake, reverse eye the front spring, remove a couple leaves from the rear, run 35 wires (with Lyons discs) and 650 blackwalls all around...perfection.

I believe this is the most quotable thing I've ever seen posted in the history of...ever. ;)

Hitchhiker and Squablow like this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Restored cars are worth less and less as time goes on. The old guys who want that sort of thing are dying off quickly.

Very, very ,very few younger guys(ie under 50) want a restored stocker to put around in. A hot rod on the other hand is still cool.

10. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I am not a fan of original early Fords but we are down to so few of them that I hate to see another lost! On the other hand, it'll need modifications if it is going to be used on today's streets and highways. I like the fact that all the members are respectful of the car's heritage, suggesting minimal changes and keeping the old parts. I always find it interesting that hot rods are almost always worth much more than their original counterparts. I seem to recall that once wasn't the case.

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. F-head

F-head

just look at the 34 roadster on the cover of oct 2014 R&C
    40's style frikkin badass
    34 roadsters have a really great poor mans Duesenberg style if they're done correctly
    I agree with some what have said about the old guys that are interested in that kind of thing are dying off
    chop the top, if you dont want to chop your stock stuff, buy some repops and chop that stuff
    mild lowering
    juice brakes
    lose the spare
    keep the horns
    lower the stock headlights using repop mounts
    how about rare 17" kelseys for a late prewar style
    you can use the license plate to cover the spare bracket holes
    do yourself a favor and get a Neal Jennings steering box
    this is all bolt on, if you feel bad later, bolt the other shit back on
    B

12. F-head

F-head

shit i meant oct 1012 R&C

13. I am with those who say that your modifications would improve the car. It will still be an original car with just some "options" that Henry forgot to offer at the time. Nothing you couldn't undo if so desired. Go for it.

14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I don't think you are "ruining" the car with the modifications you are planing. After all you're not sectioning the car or something drastic. As far as I'm concerned all you are doing is making the car more drivable. Ever been to a V-8 Club meet lately, restorers are getting harder and harder to find. Save all the original parts, so in the future if you decide to sell and a restorer wants to buy the car, you have all the parts. When I built my "Woodie" I saved everything and the car can be brought back to stock very easy.

15. Its very easy to advise a man to alter such a prime example of a 34 Roadster.Especially if you dont have any of your money
    invested..There will ALWAYS be a collector of antique and classic cars WORLDWIDE..and they have the Big Bucks,,that most hot rodders will never have..Its only ORIGINAL once.!!!

16. alchemy

alchemy

Actually it can be original as many times as a guy wants. Take the Woodward/East/Moeller roadster for example. It was original, hot rodded, re-hot rodded, restored to original, then re-re-hot rodded to it's original hot rod form.

It's only metal, rubber, and paint. Cut it, weld it, paint it, then do it again. And if you sell off the original parts there will always be more original parts to replace them.

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

1. Do the 'update' with repro chopped w/s posts, '32-'36 dropped axle, and other bolt-ons.
    2. Save the original parts, wrap and store them.
    3. Don't let the previous owner know that you defied him with your broken promise "not to hot rod it".

18. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

Not to hijack, but I've been contemplating this same dilemma all summer with the 34 roadster I acquired last spring. I have driven it stock to several area events through the summer. As much as I like it, I'm a vintage hot rod guy. It does already have reverse eye springs and 16" wires which set it down considerably. Upgrades I'd like to do would cost somewhere between 10K and 15K with me doing the majority of the work - chopped top/juice brakes/59ab flatty/rear end gears or Columbia/etc.

I'm almost to the point of selling it as is:eek:

Coralyn_34Ford-104-Edit.jpg

20150510_182742.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Pete

Pete

Wow, fantastic roadster....

hook it up! It's yours.... Do as you like! Just post pics.

20. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Make it happen!

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There appears to be some confusion on here. This is not an original car, its restored. As guys have said,'its only original once". Correct, and this one isn't. That train has already left the station...

49ratfink, bowie and Tn. Trash like this.
  22. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Great looking roadster. Had similar delima when I bought my '34 but decided to make it driveable when & where I wanted to go. Nothing but grins & fun since!! Do what U want & enjoy it.

Attached Files:

23. Well in answer to the original question ( in case there are more).

Let's see, we are a traditional hot rod and custom site, so lets go back to what those fellas used before traditional hot rodding was called that. Hmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn stock Fords?

Now if you were to ask this question on Ford Barn you may get a different idea than what we are going to suggest. But my most serious suggestion is that what you have is the perfect start for a traditional hot rod.

There is a reason why the car gawds don't allow me to lay my hands on an all original Stutz Bearcat. :rolleyes:

24. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I am in a similar situation with a '36 roadster and have not given it a second thought about making changes. I have not seen one modified car switched back to stock and I doubt that your's or mine will either. Life is too short to live it for the "numbers matching" experts. Museums are for the stock examples.

Neal

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. Muttley

Muttley

Stock sucks, time to build a Hot Rod.

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Fogger

Fogger

I bought an original, pieced together '32 Roadster in '06, and couldn't wait to make it a reliable driver. Out came the banger, transmission, mechanical brakes and the rear axle. In went a '57 283, a '39 gearbox, juice brakes and a columbia. I've never regretted these changes for a minute. It made a great old car a reliable and safer driver. It's your car and yours to do as you see fit. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  27. Maybe it is a mind set that has been driven into me for too many decades, but I would not buy a car that I was afraid to fornicate with.

bowie likes this.
  28. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Only one question when are you going to post your first pictures. GO FOR IT, YOU ONLY GO AROUND ONCE IN LIFE. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fnjunk likes this.
  29. When you convert to 12 volts get a 2 brush generator from the late thirties and have a generator shop convert it to 12 volts. Please don't get one of those "ugly" alternators. Your fan will bolt right on to this generator. After you have gone to 12 volts get the "Brite" (yes, I know they spell it wrong) bulbs from Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940. They go into the original sockets. I have them on my '32 and they work great. I am sure other retailers handle his products but you might as we'll go to the original source.

Charlie Stephens

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. 2 brush generators are best and the conversion is nothing more than 12 volt fields if you decide you want to do it at home. It is harder to find 12 volt fields for the older generators or at least that has been my experience.