Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Am I ruining a 34 roadster??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by yankee mike, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Picked up this really nice restored 34 roadster out of eastern Tn last month. The car has 39000 actual miles on it. It won 1st in the AACA in 82 and has been stored ever since. This car has never had a spec of rust and has every original bolt, nut and screw on it. The good thing is the lacquer is checked all over it and in my opinion is its ready to use!!! BUT My delima is it to original to change?? Plans were for 12v conversion, Lincoln brakes, early Eddie Meyer intake , dual exhaust and maybe a Columbia rear. My vision is a circa 1940 mild hotrod. Just curious of everyone's thoughts on it.

LOU WELLS, Shamus and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Yes, you are going to ruin it. Only thing to do is to give it to me !:rolleyes:;)

Seriously, that would make a great hot rod. Go for it.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Do it and don't back, you won't regret it.

4. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

No way. Your changes are tasteful and could always be reversed if ever need be. The car is yours do with it as you want. The changes would definitely complement an already amazing car, just don't go too crazy. Did I already say that car was amazing!?

clem likes this.
  5. All I can say is it's beautiful.It is yours.

6. Fedman

Fedman

Ok, Beautiful Car..... Should you change it up? Hell Yeah! It has spent alot of it's life since 1982, sitting in a dark unlit garage with nobody looking at it, driving it, or using it as a car.
    Make it yours and enjoy it! That is why Cars were made in the first place, to enjoy!
    What ever plans you have for it, great starting point.
    Good luck with your Car! :)

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

You own it, now make it yours. Changes like those can always be reversed later on if someone wants it re-restored. Stock is boring in my opinion.

clem likes this.
  8. williebill

williebill

That come out of Harriman?

9. e z i

e z i

I'd hot rod the hell out of it if it was mine. Take all the stock stuff off of it that you want to change, brakes, axle, etc, and put those parts away. Build it how you want. Enjoy it as a car YOU want, then, someday, when you want to pass the torch, a great selling point is having all the original stuff to put it back to stock if the new owner wants..

Landmule, volvobrynk and clem like this.
  10. Hell they all were Stock and like New once. So What!! I was on the Ford Barn today and there was a fresh listing for a Columbia 2 speed. Go get it.
    The Wizzard

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. My favorite car and color!!!! Chopped windshield, hydraulics, bent spoke wheels and drive it. Tim

Pewsplace likes this.
  12. Make the changes you listed but keep all of the original parts. They will increase the value of the car when you sell it.

Charlie Stephens

-Brent- likes this.
  13. Squablow

Squablow

The changes you have planned seem totally reasonable to me, I say go for it. If you were planning on cutting it up and putting it on a different chassis or something like that, then I'd say no. But some bolt-on hop up stuff is cool in my book. Great car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great looking car, someone could have found a sister car to it in 1940 and followed your plans. Bob

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. F-head

F-head

sounds like your on the right track
    that will make a beautiful mild hotrod
    I think the crack o lacq sounds really cool
    cheers
    B

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Manager

Manager

Bent spokes and drive it, brakes are overated. Poor car deserves driving, left sitting since 82. It will be happy whatever you do so long as you drive it.

Nailhead Brooklyn, volvobrynk and bct like this.
  17. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Gorgeous car, go for it but keep the all OEM parts you removed.

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said, it's all bolt on parts. Do it and enjoy the heck out of it for sure. But don't get cash strapped and sell off the original parts, these need to stay with the car.

Spoggie and volvobrynk like this.
  19. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

I had the same dilemma with my 3 window she wasn't as nice as yours .
    I'm not too far from finished now with K/H bent wires drop axle ,40 brakes and so on....
    Wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing but once started all I can think about is getting her on the road now with no regret.
    Keep us posted on your decision.
    Best of luck with it shes a beauty.

20. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

21. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

As a few have already stated, I would go with bolt on mods and keep all of the original parts. Gorgeous car. Enjoy.

22. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I was apprehensive also.
    Not anymore. Much better to drive and enjoy. 1932 FORD.jpg 002.JPG

Bader2, Malcolm, LOU WELLS and 7 others like this.
  23. rexrogers

rexrogers

Why not drive it around for a season just a stocker? then next fall make your game plan. I have a stock Model A that is just plain enjoyable to drive. You have to plan your braking a little more.
    When you do the brake upgrade the difference will be huge and well worth the time. We Just had a 34 sedan in the shop and we drove it around on the mechanical brakes for a few days and they worked well, then we brought it in and put the hydraulic brake kit on from Early V8 Garage and that greatly improved the braking it was almost night and day difference their kit was pretty much just bolt on very happy with it.
    Very nice roadster by the way.

Spoggie, seb fontana and volvobrynk like this.
  24. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

By all means, make the changes and enjoy the car.

25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gee Dad.... its a great car, I only made it better! Rod on!!

falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  26. brady1929

brady1929

Sweet hot Rod. Make it sweeter!

27. Great looking car. Do what ever you like it is yours. Just a suggestion if I may, take a lot of pictures before you change anything.

28. When you upgrade the brakes remember that Richard Lacy at [email protected] (mail), earlyv8garage.net (web site), (626) 338-2282, (855) 268-0325 makes a bolt in kit for the master cylinder. Also the reproduction Lincoln hydraulics are available to fit your spindles without elongating the holes (like we used to have to do).

Charlie Stephens

volvobrynk likes this.