Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I missing a part here? 60s GM column prob.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Oct 10, 2006.

1. I have a steering column that i just finished sectioning and rebuilding to make it work in my '50 Chevy. I got it all together and working, but the turn signals don't cancel out. THere are two "fingers" that stick down from the wheel and I assume they push on the ring that the signal lever is screwed into to cancel out the turn signals. But the hole in the ring is bigger than the fingers can touch, so I think there may be an intermediate part that's missing. Any clues?

THanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

picture is worth a thousand words....

3. I only have experience on Fords of that vintage but the "cancelling cam wheel" on them has a pin that sticks up and into the notch on the wheel. Is that what might be missing?

4. squirrel

squirrel

GM used several different designs in the 60s, so it's hard to say what's going on without more info.

5. I guess I shoulda taken pictures first. Okay, but that's 4,000 words you owe me! :)

The fist one shows the ring (and the turn signal lever I made - I was proud of that one)

In the others I tried to show the ring relative to the "fingers"

There are these little holes in the ring that look like they might once have held something.

Any ideas guys?

Attached Files:

6. squirrel

squirrel

do you know what the column is out of? doesn't look like a chevy.

I would guess it's missing the cancelling pawls.

7. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

8. squirrel

squirrel

those chevy parts won't fit that turn signal ring, the chevy's have pins that the pawls fit over.

9. mikecola

mikecola
    from So. Cal.

That looks like a '59/'60 Chevy signal set up. Yes you are missing some spring steel and some nylon stuff. This is from Classic Industries online Impala / Full Size catalogue. They want $32 for all this. I think Danchuck or one of the other Chevy restoration parts places sells rebuild kits, minus the ring you already have there, for cheaper.
    http___www.classicindustries.jpg

10. Oh, Yeah. Did I fail to mention that this was off a 60 Biscayne? Geez, I didn't give you guys much to go on, did I? I tried finding info on line before I posted this but I couldn't find anything except $50 CD service manuals.

That looks like exactly what I need! Thanks a ton!

11. squirrel

squirrel

nice, I learned something too

12. mikecola

mikecola
    from So. Cal.

The only reason I know is because I have a '60 and my signals don't work either! It's an odball two year set-up. Found a NOS signal housing with all the parts installed that I'm waiting to replace mine with.

If you run into trouble installing pm me and I'll send you a scan from the service manual.

-- Mike

13. Cool, man. Thanks.

14. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Marc- By the way, someone gutted that thing before I got that wheel. I watched Bryan take it off the column for me, and none of that T/S BS was in there!

15. yea it's a '59/60 set-up.........but you already know that and i'm too late to help again....

16. Okay, I got the parts. I bought the rebuild kit like the one pictured above. Now, where in the hell do they go? I know that the horse shoe shaped spring must somehow retain the pawls, but I can't figure it out! It's like one of those coffee table puzzlers with the nails that are bent a certain way but you can't figure out how to get them apart.

So, how about some help?

Thanks again!

17. I figured it out. It took forever, but I got it.

Thanks.