Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I crazy? I want a big truck. How to move big grain truck from MN to WI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyironman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. I want a big truck.

Okay, I realize I might be crazy. But being on a farm here in Central Michigan, this would be fun toy. And sadly, it is offered to me for slightly less then over the scale scrap price, so it sure is tempting.

BUT the question is how to get it from the Morgan MN area to Manitowoc WI area.

I'm in Central Mi, but I can get it brought across from Manitowoc WI to Ludington Mi on the ferry.

It runs and drives, but I would not consider it roadworthy for the long trip, as it has not been licensed on the road since 2008 (brakes work but poor-fair) My trailer is good to about only 5,500 lbs. It weighs about 7,000 now, but could be lighted up to about 6,200 by loosing the oak side racks. (Owner knows weights from when he used it to haul grain and livestock).

Am I crazy, or just really, really strange? Any thoughts or input of how to make my craziness possible would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

Drive it. Plan it as a week long trip and just take it really slow. It would make for a great story. Some of my favorite threads on here are guys with the road trips and problems along the way.

With that dreamy illogical way out of my system contact some of the HAMB shippers, I'm sure one of them could help out you.

3. I thought about that. I have a pretty good mechanical ability, but it would need some work (mostly brake) before I try the trip, and working on it at the owners place in Morgan, MN isn't a option. The way it is now, I wouldn't want to be driving it more then 50 miles on rural roads.

4. Beau

Beau

It probably doesn't go faster than 40 mph.

Toll fees would be crazy also.

5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Have it shipped and build it into a car hauler....that way you won't have to pay for the next one.

6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Don't kid yourself... these trucks were the work horses of the day and were made to haul. I've driven plenty of old grain trucks and it will have no problem hitting 60 mph. Stopping and steering it at that speed... now that's a whole nuther story....

7. Yes you are correct, especially since this one has the optional 2-speed rear axle.

8. belair

belair

I hope you get it. Then put a scaled up pick-up bed on it.

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Have you considered renting a uhaul truck and a dolly?

10. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

I have a '54 Chev grain truck that is only good for about 45mph. If it had the 2-spd rearend, it would be better.

I brought mine down from MT a few years ago on an 18' bumper pull 2 axle trailer. Scary, 'tail wagging the dog' comes to mind. Not a good idea.

11. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Saw that done to a 57 one ton and it looked really cool. He split a bed with fenders and widened it for a dually pickup look.

12. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

only drive it at night.....

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

If its worth it, go there and load it on the trailer and drive it around a bit before you buy it to see how it acts. I brought a 47 Ford grain truck home 50 miles on my car trailer and it didnt squat and came home fine.

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I'd suggest talking to a HAMB hauler and looking into freight shipping it all the way home. It'll cost you more than you're paying for the truck likely, but you'll have the truck delivered to your door without adventure.

Otherwise, Do you think you could get out there and have the brakes gone through then drive it? That would certainly be an adventure to say the least.

15. PackardV8

PackardV8

FWIW, the two-speed rear axle gear ratios are very low and very much lower. They are usually on the order of 6:1 and 8:1. Great for getting a full load of grain moving on rough ground with a 100-hp flathead 6-cyl. As previously mentioned, high cruise is maybe 45 MPH, max.

jack vines

16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you're close on weight. If it will fit on your trailer, I would consider removing the tires and wheels after it's on the trailer, which should get you down right about where you should be. Then, depending on the capacity of your tow vehicle, you could either load them in the back of it, or perhaps make a second trip later to pick up the tires/wheels and sides. With the route you are taking, you could probably stick to the high quality back roads we have here in the upper Midwest and make a nice leisurely trip out of it. Or, maybe you could borrow a larger trailer.

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

DO NOT haul that truck on a car hauler

DO NOT haul that truck on a Uhaul trailer or dolly

Find an equipment trailer with two 7000 axles and heavy 16" tires, tow it behind a 3/4ton, or bigger, pickup.

I would suggest you contact CA Tesch (Chuckie). He is a dealer of used farm equipment very near Manitowoc. Google will find him. He is all over the Midwest buying and has the means to move your truck.

Or search for a landscape contractor or excavator in the Manitowoc area that would be willing to provide the service. They would have the equipment to get the job done.

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't attempt it with a regular pickup and car hauler trailer but if you have access to a dualie pickup and can rent an equipment trailer locally you should be ok. 430 miles one way is a pretty good haul though. Personally I'd buy it, get the brakes taken care of and tune it up and take life in the slow lane heading back. You might even find something interesting along the way to haul back with it.

19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would get a box of vino some cheese and bread and head out and stop at all the yard sales and antique shop on the way home and fill that bed up.

20. So if you are going to operate it once you get it home,
    invest the money in getting it roadworthy where it sits now
    then drive it home at a leisurely pace with another driver
    behind you in the vehicle that you & them will take on
    the road trip .....

Why waste money on hauling when you can put it into
    making it roadworthy ?

Jim

21. I sorta agree, but problem is I have no work space on that end, torch to heat fittings, etc. All that is here at my home.

22. So have the guy you are buying it from recommend someone local
    he trusts & have them do the work before you pick it up ....

Jim

23. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

This has the makings of an epic story. All it needs is a plastic hippo pedalboat!

24. Id haul it ... pull the flatbed and side boards to get the weight down and make a future (no rush) trip for the bed ..... after consideration you might not even want the flatbed at that point call a scrapper, he would take it.

25. roughneck424

roughneck424

Yeah - Fix it a and drive it. Give all us sitting at work playing on the HAMB something good to read

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I'm with Truly vintage. Ask the seller if he can recommend a local mechanic. Who has been fixing it all these years?

I also like the idea of driving home slowly stopping at yard sales and junk yards. Of course you will take tool boxes with you just in case.

27. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Friend bought a vintage 1953 1 ton gasoline tanker used at a local Phillips 66 station since new. Was not in running condition. We borrowed a 5th wheel open trailer another friend uses to haul his skid loader and other construction equipment. We had to take off the outside rear duals to load. Moved it from Wichita to it's new home in Bentonville, AR with no problems. Friend will get it road worthy in his shop down there.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Tow bar and a one ton truck.

29. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

Sorry Ken, I sold my trailer or I might be tempted to help you out. However, I still have my F-350 with a goose neck hitch. Just put tires and brakes on it too.

30. PackardV8

PackardV8

Back in the bad old days, old truck brakes were only to come to a complete stop after gearing down. I cut and loaded props and drove them to the mine with brakes probably as good/bad as that truck has.

One insane teen-age trick you might try on the way home; two lane road, coming around a corner, meeting a car, I'd open the door, step out on the running board with only right hand on the steering wheel and to the oncoming driver, it would look like I was falling out of the truck onto his windshield. Most headed for the ditch. At seventeen, that seemed like a hilarious thing to do.

jack vines