Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Am I being a jerk??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDTINPUSHER, May 4, 2017.

1. XXL__

XXL__

Lowballers usually get a one word response... "Pass." However, when I don't edit myself, my responses can get pretty sassy. Sometimes I'll "counter" their offer by doubling my original price. Bozos will often get uppity because its more than the posted price. I point out that if they get to make up ridiculous prices, so can I.

Your response is fine.

FYI, my lowballer rate looks something like this--

Craigslist -- 90%
    HAMB -- 2% ... people here generally know my prices are very fair. Nickel-and-diming not necessary.

2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My response to lowball text or email no-see offers is always the same...

"Dear Sir or Madam,

No.

Sincerely,

Nostrebor"

;)

tfeverfred likes this.
  3. XXL__

XXL__

I agree with this approach, but be aware that the self-appointed CL NAZIs may flag your ad into oblivion for that... their interpretation of the rules (and they're probably right, there) is that, asking for a phone nuumer and not providing your own can be considered "phishing." Their argument is that you're being one-sided... "I won't share my info, but you have to." Having battled this for years (DON'T go into the rules discussion forum expecting a rational discussion. You will be extremely disappointed and/or have to go punch a wall or something), I simply use the email obfuscation that's built into CL. Buyers can contact me through that system, where I never see their actual email address and they never see mine. Once we're in that private conversation and I've had a chance to give them the smell test, I give them my number and tell them it's voice only, texts will not be received. If they don't call, oh well.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. 2935ford

2935ford

The minute you place the ad.....you have just invited knuckleheads to respond to it! :)

jim snow likes this.
  5. Very very very valid points here.

Where does this type of scenario fall.

1- The ad is for an OT car priced accordingly.
    2- in the heading it says year make model "needs an engine"
    3- first line of - "needs an engine"
    4 - description of vehicle complete with preliminary diagnosis and especially and specificaly mentioned that the engine is nearly seized buy will still roll over for easy dis assembly.

5- at the bottom of the ad is all the search tags- must be towed, not running will not won't start, needs work, mechanics special about 29 more.

One certain party is interested, special pictures requested and fulfilled, (in the rain too) questions congruent with description were asked and answered. Set appointment time with conflicting schedules. A good 3 hrs total over the course of a few days messing around with this.

Then , here it comes, wait for it,,,,

It runs good, I can test drive it right? It will make it home?

I said "NO it needs an engine."
    "Oh I missed that" they said.

Man I really wanted to be the biggest JERK I could figure out how to be.

So I screenshot this and sent it to them.

"You're kidding , RIGHT?!?!?!
    How can you miss it, it's the first line. let me highlight it for you and read it to you.

image.jpeg

6. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I think you were more than fair.
    I hate it when they offer around 50% of your asking price and then want you to pay shipping.I,ve had that happen on the HAMB recently
    My standard reply is usually one word,NO
    If it is a craigslist ad,I usually tell them that I,m only negotiable when you are standing in front of me with $100 bills.
    The problem is that most people don,t read or understand the whole ad
    Good luck with your sale,you just need to find the right person.

7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

8. Squablow

Squablow

I had a project car for sale without an engine in it (pics of empty engine bay, clear mention of no engine in ad) and was asked if it "would make it back to Milwaukee" (about 100 miles away).

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you write, they didn't read it anyway. Not even pictures matter every time, they'll see what they want to see.

9. I've sold vehicles on the corner for folks to drive by and see them in the flesh. Then the phone rings and we agree on a price. But when we meet to do the deal the buyer(s) always.... always.... ALWAYS! want to pick at every little blemish and renegotiate the price downward. It's frustrating, maybe even a bit insulting, but it's the "Rules Of The Game". You as a seller have to sell the car in your ad, sell it in your messages and/or phone calls and sell it all over again when the dude with the cash shows up. It's an American tradition and it's called "horse trading". It ain't over 'til it's over. The buyer has almost total control to walk or shake hands. Your job as the seller is to come up with reasons to get the buyer to back off on the sweaty grip he has on the cash. Did the buyer have a long drive to come negotiate? If so, point to you. Did you tell the buyer about your emotional attachment to the car? How your dad was conceived in the back seat.... how you grandfather drove you to school for a year in that car..... how you and your sister both wanted it when Pappy died but you won the toss. If you don't have a story, do you really want to tell the buyer that? Have you "interviewed" the buyer to establish that he is an acceptable buyer? Does he have experience with restorations? Can he do justice to what this car deserves? He needs to know you're not going to sell to any punk with cash but no heart.

Always have other buyers interested waiting in the wings. They want to pay more but have to sell something first, or move to the bigger place, or whatever reason they can pay next week, next month, etc. There's no set price for an old Studebaker like that. It's worth what the buyer will pay. It doesn't matter what a Craig's List troll offers. Your first job is to get him at your garage door with cash to do a deal. Don't ever give a yes/no price by email but consider the contact as a nibble while you try to set the hook. Your replies should be focused on how happy he will be when he sees the car, when he pays a fair price for the car and when he eventually drives the car down the road. It's natural for the buyer to assume that your listed price is is a top dollar starting point. Your job is to convince him that your asking is a super deal. Why not have a goal to convince him it's really worth a lot more but you'll be okay with taking your listed price?

buggboy and Truck64 like this.
  10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Your reply is fine, some people just don't know how to wheel and deal. I haven't had a ton of issues and prefer to deal face to face when talking money. When inquiring about a part or car I have asked if they are willing to deal if ad doesn't state BO or firm. Never offered less without looking at item. I don't offer a response to 75% or less email offers they are fishing and not worth the time and usually don't follow up. Texters and emailers tend to be more bold when they are not dealing face to face. Wade through it you'll find a buyer.

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You are right. You are not being a jerk. People need to realize that the price is the price unless you say to make an offer. People are assholes and want something for nothing. I don't negotiate on the phone or in emails when I sell. Talk to me in person and i'll tell you "no" to your face. I especially hate the idiots who show up with less than what you're asking for..." I have $40 in my pocket even if you want $100 for it." "Yeah? Get lost idiot" is always my reply.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

In addition to the above--I know you to be a nice guy from trading with you and definitely not a jerk! Given what you said, your approach seems reasonable. Having worked with the public for many years, there are all kinds of attitudes people present with and approaches they take. If someone wants to be a jerk, I've learned to just get out of the way.

13. 58custom

58custom

Hard to believe that car has not sold yet at that price. I'd love it for a resto project. Time ain't right.

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Mark is no jerk thats for sure. Just made the deal and I will pick up the car next week,weather permitting.Id like to keep it dry.
    Now my wife may say Iam a jerk because I didnt discuss this purchase first with her, but like they say,Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.Man I wish I could sell her Nissan this fast,but i run into the very same thing mentioned in this thread. Craigslistsucksatitist.
    How i found this car was that this thread was the first one i read today and then connected the dots. Always by accident. May be how I croak next week too(wife) Did i mention how much I love her....

buggboy, Baumi, LOST ANGEL and 6 others like this.
  15. Your right on !!!!ly Last guy that gave an offer over the phone - I calmly said most phone offers are reduced once you stand in front of me....he got kinda silent.....then said okay.....never saw or heard from him again.
    If I see something - I ask maybe a question - or maybe two.....then I ask for the address where I can see it.
    If it's in email - I introduce myself with a phone # and say I'm interested - PLEASE - give me a call. Manners some times matter.....

16. trollst

trollst

Well, I'm one of those curmudgeonly types who has no time for time wasters, I get downright rude to them. I'm a sonofabitch to them, if I see an ad that interests me, I call and arrange to see it, then a discussion ensues and the transaction either happens or doesn't, but I don't jerk people around.
    I currently have some stuff for sale, my fifth wheel trailer for one, I get calls from guys who want me to register with them to the tune of $300, so they can finance my potential buyer, I'm not nice to them, they leave me alone, others have called doing the loball thing, I tell them to loball me after they've looked at it, one guy asked me to haul it two hours so he could meet me halfway, then he wouldn't have to drive so far. The calls I get amaze me, I wonder what goes through their minds, I wouldn't even consider asking the questions I get, yet they feel free to impose their stupidity on me, then are offended when I'm rude to them.
    I have no problem being very rude to people who have nothing better to do but sit at a keyboard making other people miserable, or trying to scam me out of $300, far as I'm concerned, they have it coming. If you are interested, come look at it, try and cut a deal, I may sell it cheap just cause I like you, but I'll never sell it cheap because you think I'm gullible.

Andy and pat59 like this.
  17. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

UPDATE:
    Fedcospeed is the new owner of this fine unrestored car !!! Was not trying to sell it here (felt it was not quite HAMB friendly enough) but as the song goes "Sometimes you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
    I REALLY appreciate all the kind words and support.

18. A 15 year old Taurus with 150,000 miles that is not beat up too bad will bring that much on a used car lot around here. Just the fact that it's all there, has been stored in a dry place, and is not rusty and falling apart makes it a good deal at that price. Little if anything for this car is reproduced--suppose it had one fender or a radiator shell, or part of the hood missing or too damaged/rusty to save. What would you spend tracking down that one major body part you needed or paying a high-dollar sheet metal artist to make one? Answer: More than you're asking for a complete 92 year old car.

19. flynstone

flynstone

I tell them sure, bring me the money and I will give you the title and the address where the car is.......they say I'm not going to buy it without seeing it... I say exactly

Truck64 likes this.
  20. I had to be a bit of a jerk myself at the swap meet last weekend. I have this 2 1/4 aluminized dual exhaust with muffler tips on it for $20 bucks and some guy asked if I would take $10, so I ask him if he wanted the left pipe or the right. 20170428_164459.jpg

XXL__, TagMan and LOST ANGEL like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you are being a jerk at all. The jerks are the low ballers who are too frigging lazy to show up in your driveway towing a trailer and waving a fan of hundreds under your nose when they throw out and offer.
    When scrappers were going for good coin I did say yes to a guy who made a be there in 30 minutes with cash offer, 60 minutes later he was towing the car down the road.
    Sold my wife's old van to a little gal who only had so much cash and had to have something to drive to work the next morning because she had totaled her car that morning and only had that much. It got her through until she could get another car and got sold again. Wife had wrecked the van but it would drive anywhere safely after I put a bandaid on it.
    I'd say that the guys are right in that the flipper mentality from all those reality shows has overrun common sense and good behavior in many cases.

22. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

when somebody by text or phone asks "will you take $xxx" I always reply with "Are you making a binding cash offer?" and then I follow with "because if I say yes I expect you to come over and put cash in my hand without even looking at the car" It's amazing how fast they start backpedaling, all part of the fun on craigslist.

Truck64 likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yep. I think maybe what happens, sometimes anyways, people have been looking at dozens of different ads, flipping back and forth and after several hours their eyes start to glaze over, and they get confused as to what's what.

Squablow likes this.
  24. Sounds like it all went well, neat old car going to a good home+ satisfied seller.
    When I sell something at ,say, $500, and I get a message that says "What's your best price?"', (without seeing the item), I then answer, "well, MY best price is $2500, but you can have it for $500." That's the last you hear from them.
    They are a lot of professional "chain yankers"out there, and they all want my stuff for nothing.

patmanta likes this.
  25. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Every sale needs an offer and acceptance. So all the Chest thumping internet heroes that say "my price is my price" usually end up keeping their junk.

Be cautious of lowball offers that are just "sounding you out", if you accept their offer you have just lowered your price ceiling for them to make an even lower offer.

Always answer with a question
    eg:
    IF [this is the word they dont hear] I accept your offer, when will you take it?
    or
    Where did you get that figure [offer] from? or Why did you offer that amount?

Always line up your pricing against something justifiable. Most people price items , or make offers based on ego, not true worth.
    If it is a real bargain, you can play the "polite waiting game"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to place disclaimers on some of my listings:
    No trades or swaps or deals of a lifetime.
    or
    Please no lowball offers based on the hope that I could be desperate or stupid

Squablow and The Shift Wizard like this.
  26. Awesome. It's cool Fedcospeed still had some tax refund $ left. I wonder if you'll see that Stude in the Open Wheel Room next year?

27. Yes, but as a CL junkie, I love to read their ads month after month;

" I want $18,000 or a trade for equal value, for this model A. It's worth every penny, I won't take one penny less. You can see all the rusty rat rods here on CL that are crap, and this car is worth every penny. Genuine Henry steel. Don't you dare email me offering to trade your lawn mower or you fat wife's crummy minivan that your mongoloid kids slobbered all over. I served in Korea, you piece of shit, show me some respect, Goddammit. Now drive here right now and buy my Goddamn car before I tear your head off and rape your neckhole you ungrateful piece of crap..."

A bit exaggerated, but there's been an awesome ad here on my local CL just like this I've been following as it's evolved over a couple years, and I'm grateful that I've been able to share this time with the poster as he unravels. ( be careful about these "aggressive ads", it's not hard to sound like you're coming unhinged to the rest of the world)

Squablow and patmanta like this.
  28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"No, but I'd take $3500."

"If you can be here with the cash in 20 min it's yours. Call for directions." (If they show up say you just took a deposit.)

"I've been offered $1750 and said no to that as well."

"If I don't have to deliver it your offer is worth considering, thanks."

"Sorry, no thank you. I need the money for an operation." The operation is how you "operate" your level of this activity.

"I have a hunch backed uncle. If he straightens up I'll give you 1st choice."

"The people I got it from made me promise to sell it for more so..."

"I didn't get your name. Are you Frank or Mike?" (Pickers reference, and yes I said that to a chump offer from a rude shopper.)

"For $1600 I'd give it some consideration."

None those are being a jerk either. More like being a dick which is too much fun to put in words.

Squablow likes this.
  29. That "wolf" article / tutorial was pretty good. Kinda like counter intelligence for honest sellers selling good stuff.

My wife's nephew does that stuff cold offer stuff. He comes up with some really cheap stuff and great buys. I asked him how can he make a low ball offer on something he hasn't seen? He says "what's it hurt?" Most of the time people want it gone, and he's the first to one to show up with money. Then he low balls again in person to begin negotiations.

30. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have been clearing out a lot of stuff on CL lately, I have no problem with low ball offers or negotiating via phone or email. I don't like "firm" prices so I price a little higher than what I need. Everyone likes to feel good about their purchase and negotiating makes the buyer feel good. Just because somebody makes a lowball offer doesn't mean I have to take it, I just explain to them that I will talk a little, this is the price, if you can come up with that we have a deal.
    I also always negotiate over the phone or by email. I'm not going to drive two hours to look at something if the price is higher than I want to pay. My offer is based on the information given, I show up with cash and a trailer, no hassle and I'm gone. I get a lot of good deals just because I show up on time, pay the man, and am gone.
    Hard ass ads with the " I know what I have, don't lowball me" yada yada I just laugh at. Their stuff is usually so overpriced it will never sell anyway.

phat rat and 47ragtop like this.