Register now to get rid of these ads!

aluminum wheels-steel wheel look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J&JHotrods, Apr 22, 2010.

1. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Just curious if I'm pissin in the wind here. Does anyone make a solid aluminum wheel that has the appearance of a stock steel wheel? With all the wheel choices today and now being a bit more financially able to purchase said custom wheels, I still love the look of the plain jane steel wheel. Something like this wheel. Unfortunately, wont have the option to run center caps; 3 inch studs on the rear will not permit it:rolleyes:. BTW, is that a real trim ring on that wheel or is it part of the wheel? I'm guessing the cost to make an alum. wheel look like a steelie would shoot the price outta my range, but had to ask.
    Thanks in advance, hammer away.

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'm thinking the cost comment is what keeps it from happening. Why not steelies??

3. tbone1951

tbone1951
    from COLORADO

not really going to find much that will fit what you are looking for as far as aluminum. you may try new studs or shorting the ones you got. will save you a bunch of money.

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

Wheel Vintiques makes them

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

6. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Yea, the weight savings, if any, wouldn't really justify the price. T-bone, they are 3 inch studs for a reason:D. I will look into those billet wheels, thanks millersgarage. Can anyone comment on the question regarding the trim ring on the wheel vintiques? Is it part of the rim? Haven't seen one in person yet.

7. Cymro

Cymro

I seem to remember that some time during the 80's a very famous black 32 Tudor Ford had red painted Centrelines with Ford Hubcaps, It struck me at the time as a very clever trick as they gave the illusion of steelies built by ????, I can't remember but the names tht spring to mind are Bob Bauder?, Lil John Buttera (had something to do with it ? ) Roy Fjastaad (spelling?), then again |I may have the wrong names here. I don't have my old mags anymore.

8. brandon

brandon

i do know that a weld wheel with a gm dog dish cap , will not show the 8 holes..... if painted right , it looks like a steel wheel at about a 1/3 of the weight......brandon :D

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I believe the picture you show is for a steel rim with the ring. I have never need an aluminum one with a ribbed lip. (not production units)