Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods aluminum wheels/rust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, May 9, 2016.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I was grinding on a cast iron bell housing and the grinding particles landed on a set of off topic aluminum wheels.Well it rained and i'm afraid i ruined the wheels. Little rusty spots every where. what can i use to clean these?Lost of Rusty spots LOTS OF RUSTY SPOTS!! Tried some alum. wheel cleaner with no luck.Maybe a stronger cleaner?
    On the other hand i learned how to make something look really old and rusty!
    Any help?

2. it is metal embedded in the aluminum/coating, i have seen it done to glass before. on glass i have scraped the metal out with a razor blade, maybe try that.

3. Tetanus

Tetanus

grit probably was hot and is stuck too clear. maybe try one of those clay bars??

4. If it's a machined surface you're pretty much screwed unless you have them remachined. You can get close with sandpaper by spinning them, either on a lathe or installed on the axle. If it's polished, a 'fine' scotchbrite pad should remove the spots then a repolish to restore. Like was said, the hot metal has embedded into the soft aluminum...

5. alchemy

alchemy

After you try your scraping/removal method, I suggest wetting them down again to check for any leftover specks before you spend time on polishing.

The hot steel is possibly embedded into the surface quite a bit. Hot steel could melt itself into the aluminum, or just be rammed into it if the grinder was close by.

6. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

I just cleaned up one on my son's blazer from the brake caliper locking up this winter...bar keepers friend,with a bit of elbow grease. Cleaned it right up. Followed up with a little wax. Looks better then the other 3..

Sent from my XT1585 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

8. k9racer

k9racer

naval jelly

9. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I cleaned with stiff brush,aluminum wheel cleaner. Most of the STAIN came off but rubbing your fingers across you can still feel roughness? I think as was said above hot metal stuck in clear coat. Now where can i find naval jelly and Bar Keepers friend.? Never to old to learn. be aware of where you are grinding!!!

10. You're pretty much screwed, you can go two ways bead blast them or polish them. Either way you have to lean on them hard enough to get the bits of steel out of them.

I got a pair of Ansen sprints that someone welded too close to, if I remove the bits of steel it leaves big assed pock marks, I am going to clean them up and run em rough. I'll just have to keep lots of mothers on 'em I guess.

11. Travis T

Travis T

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might be able to strip the clear coat with paint stripper.

Or, find an aluminum bell housing to grind on, get that all over the wheels and then clear it. ;)

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sounds like the hot grinding particles burned into the clear coat, not much you can do about that. Strip the clear, refinish the metal and re-coat. There are places that specialize in repairing and refinishing late model clear coat wheels but I'm sure it ain't cheap.
    Just a warning; grinding and welding near painted cars leaves the same damage on the paint. The stuff floats and flies all over settling on the paint and rusting in place. Ask me how I know. Cover your car or move it (far) away from where you are doing this kind of metal working.

14. Too much time to think my friend. ;)

hey did you ever shoot white? I was thinking shooting him once. :D

@gwhite just because you can't miss this much fun and its at your expense too. PM me so I can 'splain. :D