Register now to get rid of these ads!

aluminum wheel polishing ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Here is my problem, just bought a car that had fully polished aluminum wheels. The car sat outside , and the wheels polish is really dull now. I used a little rubbing compound and Blue Magic polish. I tried one small spot. Need something that will cut the oxidation first, then can polish. Ideas ?

2. hotflint

hotflint

Get a die grinder and a buffing cloth. Also get some green bar compuond and buzz away

3. Give the Mothers brand foam ball a try.

My pal brought some clean, but oxidized slot mags back to fairly good with one.

Doesn't work for all of them, but it's worth a shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's a couple I cleaned up for temporary use.
    After and before pic.
    [​IMG]

3M pad - medium grit - and the Mothers ball.

Found a pic of the car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  4. captmullette

captmullette

i used a mothers foam ball and some flitz polish

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

That foam ball is the shit. they are also making a larger yellow one for getting through oxidation on paint that might work if your wheels are real bad.

6. Is it just bigger or more aggressive?

7. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

I really like Wenol(sp?), a buffing pad and a corded drill. Polished bare non polished AL to a mirror finish.

8. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

Never-dull and lots of elbow grease.

9. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

What kind of wheels? Traditional or for a OT car? You didn't say.
    Better find out if they are clear coated 1st if a newer wheel.
    Take a rag w/ your finger & some compound & rub a spot. If it turns the rag black, polish away. If it comes up just dirty, the clearcoat will have to be stripped 1st.

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

On my OT daily driver I just used a Mother's "Power Cone" and Mother's chrome polish. Wheels are chromed aluminum alloy, were on a car I bought for a parts car and getting pretty grimey.
    Unlike polishing aluminum, where you just keep polishing till it shines, polishing chrome means you gotta use some judgement on when to STOP, cause you can easily go too far and break thru the chrome.
    I believe one of these Power cones or the Power Ball, depending on the shape you need, plus a good aluminum wheel polish, will do the job.
    Can't really recommend one brand polish over another, but the Mother's chrome polish worked well for me.
    Dave

11. Larry T

Larry T

I've had good luck with SemiChrome and a soft cloth. American Racing sells a polish that is pretty impressive too. The SemiChrome is a little abrasive, like a finer polishing compound and the American Racing stuff isn't, more like NeverDull.
    Larry T

12. Anybody have some experience to prevent the aluminum from tarnishing all over again (or at least help the problem). I've heard of Zoop Seal and other stuff - was wondering what you all have done.

How about clear powder coating (is that what the OEM manufacturers do with new cars today?). I must say, my Dodge Ram is over 6 years old and the clear coat and wheels look great! That is with snow, ice, salt, etc . . . I'm impressed. I have some new RealRoddersWheels (like original Halibrands) - was thinking about coating them . . . but don't want to screw them up either!

Any thoughts on coatings?

13. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

from reading the package it sounds like it is more aggressive

14. pitman

pitman

Two issues of concern, how to prepare the surface, so the coating will adhere best, and know that the temp effects of the specific powder coat process are OK.

15. Tried a little 3M rubbing compound and the Blue Magic, worked some what ok. Need to get a little more grit , to cut the oxidation.

16. mj40's

mj40's

I sanded mine with 600 wet and dry paper then moved up to 1000 grit. Then polished away. Came out looking like chrome.

17. ModelEh1931

ModelEh1931

You can try Autosol...see if that gets rid of the oxidation & dullness. It's a great product. If that doesn't work...wet sand with WD-40...start with a 600 grit and work your way up to a 1500-2000...then use a rubbing compound or polish to bring up the shine.

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Took these old Ansen's from...
    [​IMG]

To this...
    [​IMG]

I did it by starting at 600 grit and working my way through 2000 while keeping it wet with WD-40. Made sure my final stokes of each set were even and parallel to the rim. I did that by rotating the wheel on a roll around stool that spun. That way I could concentrate on keeping my hand in the correct position and spinning the wheel until I feathered my hand off.

I finished with mothers compound and a buff ball. It was my first attempt at polishing and I think they turned out awesome. The wheels were pretty beat when I first took them in. 1/4" chips on the rim and dings and neglect from many years of sitting and abuse.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Took these old Ansen's from...
    [​IMG]

To this...
    [​IMG]

I did it by starting at 600 grit and working my way through 2000 while keeping it wet with WD-40. Made sure my final stokes of each set were even and parallel to the rim. I did that by rotating the wheel on a roll around stool that spun. That way I could concentrate on keeping my hand in the correct position and spinning the wheel until I feathered my hand off.

I finished with mothers compound and a buff ball. It was my first attempt at polishing and I think they turned out awesome. The wheels were pretty beat when I first took them in. 1/4" chips on the rim and dings and neglect from many years of sitting and abuse.

20. damm he was so proud of the results he posted twice!

21. Bull

Bull

You could give our products a whirl too. As others have said, you may have to start by wet sanding.

We make our metal polish in two forms. As an impregnated cotton that you just tear off a piece and go to town or a standard polish that you apply with a cloth or with one of our Metal Buffs chocked up in your drill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of my customers sent me these before and after pics using the Metal Polish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. mojomax

mojomax

you could try acidizing the rims--gets rid of of all the embedded crud--they look like crap after until you polish them--then they will gleam like a jewel---crush up some jewlers rouge and mix it with with naptha or kerosene--antthing like that--makes a great cutting polish---just a little truck driver tip----have to do it every spring after driving on the nasty salt covered roads

23. 29ron

29ron

Just did a set of ansen mags. Started with 120 grit ang worked my way up to 1500 using wd40 as lube. Then polished looks sweet

24. I also use the wet/dry sandpaper and lubricate with WD40. Then I move on to polishing compound and a corded drill. Can't say that I've ever started out with 120 though...WOW

25. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

Thats how I do it as well and then use the blue magic you already got, that stuff works great if you rub it! Another good tip, go in the kitchen and get some baking flour and sprinkle some on after polishing, it will get the remaining residue off and make 'em shine even more............

26. I've used Mothers' polish on an old set of Torq Thrusts; Left 'em on the car, jacked up and chocked real good. Put it in gear and used the rotation of the wheel to save a lot of elbow grease! Be careful!!

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

3M Super duty rubbing compound and a wool bonnet on a 7" pad, then Nuvite (or Mothers) by hand with a cotton towel. But, I don't know anything about polishing aluminum...

Attached Files:

28. Larry T

Larry T

Is that a Spartan?
    Larry T

29. wow !

30. 88 gtu

88 gtu

Aluminum wheels? Use 600 to 2000 with water.Once u finish the 2000 use a regular car buffer with a 9 inch wool pad (just like your buffing a car).Buff the shit out of it with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish,(use a fair amount but don't waste it).Some of the polish will turn black and be stuck to the wheel, Carb and choke cleaner takes it right off DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEAN.Wipe with clean rag and u have a mirror Much like this Ford Racing driveshaft i did for my MUSTANG.YES I SAID THE WORD MUSTANG. MUSTANG MUSTANG MUSTANG! We'll see if anybody bitches that this is a Late model driveshaft! But seriously any aluminum can look like this doing just what i said.These pics do no justice,I can see my eyelashes in that thing and they're blonde!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010