Register now to get rid of these ads!

aluminum spare rims

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny bondo, Mar 26, 2011.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

anyone ever use the aluminum spare rims with better tires put on? id sure love to see some pictures of some sandblasted with some bias tires wrapped on it!

[​IMG]

2. I use them with an adapter for a spare tire. I have seen them in pictures being used on a roadster for thr front tire. Had what looked like a motorcycle tire on it. The wheel and tire are lite enough that I can lift them with the bad back.

3. fleetside66

fleetside66

What are these rims from, may I ask? I'm running 16" steel Mopar spares & love them...never used, too. But' I'd love to see what my ride would look like with the aluminum ones with bias blackwalls. I always liked the look of those very rare smooth magnesium wheels with the ruddy brown oxidized surface & I think it wouldn't be a stretch to get these aluminum jobs to look similar for pennies on the dollar. It would be an interesting experiment for very little investment, since you can get these spares in the junkyard for $15 a pop.

[​IMG]

4. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

What type car has this style spare

5. Be carefull, those spare aluminum wheels are only designed for 45mph.
    They are out of Mercury and Ford Grand Marquis. 99-02

6. cracker head

cracker head

They also came in Mustang cobras and convertbles. 4 lug in '93, 5 lug and 17" starting in '95

We ran them on the front of our mustangs at the strip.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  7. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I had these on my car. We made the rear ones for it out of two front wheels. We just brushed them and left them raw aluminum. They could easily be polished if you wanted. Not sure what they were off of though, you just have to go digging to find them! Here they are with dirt track tires mounted on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the same style wheel powdercoated red with white walls.

[​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think that is the actual tire that is designated for 45 MPH, Rick...but not positive.

9. moefuzz

moefuzz

I picked up a couple at our local pick n pull last year.

Picknpull doesn't charge much for temporary spares I guess because they don't sell to many. They charged me $10 each for the Grand Marquis Aluminum rims.

Still wondering what to do with them. The offset is kinda wrong for most applications. They would suit a front wheel drive better than a hotrod as far as the offset is concerned.
    The good news is a 4" drag radial would fit on them so they might work on a dragster.

I was thinking that the inside was better looking than the actual outside but a person wound have to do a little machining to get them to mount flush and then they would stick out a mile.
    Still a neat looking rim and at $10 each but like others, I wonder how they are being used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

HOLY F#$%#$%#$%#K that looks awesome!
    [​IMG]

wow... i need to go snoop the junk yards now! thanks guys thats exactly what i was looking for! im thinking they mean the tire speed not the rim when they mean only go under 50. and what if you got some wheel adapters, i mean they are 4.5 pattern so if you needed them anyway, that might space them out?

11. Ruiner

Ruiner

A wheel adapter would space them out farther, but the face of the wheel itself would still look dished the "wrong" direction compared to traditional wheels...if they made some with a more "normal" offset, I'd consider running a bead blasted pair without the slots on my drag car...

12. The white warning sticker on them indicates they be used for temporary use, some spare tires are rated to 45 some to 55. Why would Ford put 55 mph tires on a 130 mph wheel....mmmm.........

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

because the 130 mile per hour or whatever rim is cheap to produce and the slow tires even cheaper to produce.

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i must have missed it.but what are those wheels off of? and what bolt pattern is on them. did you cut the pattern (holes) in the wheels? and what will you charge to do another set and widen them. they look great.or i think so any way

15. krawlin98zj

krawlin98zj
    from NE Ohio

These are mid 80's to early 90's f-body spares. I plan on running 2 of the spoked variety on the front of my 27 roadster if I can find some rear wheels that look good with them.

Attached Files:

16. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

are the f-bodys 15 or 16inch?

17. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

I"ve got them polished on the front of my T with good rubber , They are 15in, option spares on Lincolin Town Cars , 80s something , hard to find, Mustangs have holes

18. cracker head

cracker head

No they don't

19. fleetside66

fleetside66

Rick, no disrespect intended, but I can't imagine that the spare wheels would self destruct at 45 mph. Seriously, did anyone ever hear of a spare wheel coming apart? Did that come from the owner's manual? I know the tires aren't intended for prolonged use (even though I've seen nearly bald ones in the junk yard).

20. Ruiner

Ruiner

I drove a donut spare for 3 weeks at 65mph daily on a 2 1/2 hour round trip commute...it was showing the radial wires by week 2 and went flat in the parking lot the 3rd week...hahaha...I was broke though and had no other way to get to and from work until I could get paid...

21. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

My 1990 Mustang GT also came with one of the 4 lug aluminum spares (I was the original owner, it came from the factory with it). I bought one more, had them polished and put Kleber VW size tires on them. Drag raced it a lot on those and drove around for months on them. No problems. And no, they didn't have holes, they were smooth like the one in the picture, just 4 lug instead of 5.

22. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

The spare wheels can handle the same speeds/load ratings as full size wheels. The tires cannot. They are cheaply made tires intended for one use...to limp you to safety.

23. docsrodshop

docsrodshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll reiterate what several people have already asked - what are these slotted wheels from and what diameter? Bolt pattern we can figure out...

-Glenn

24. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

some do & I think they are 14in :)

25. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I'm sorry I'm not much help here. I know they're from a ford as the ford logo is cast in them. I round up 6 wheels when building the car. The two rears were one of largest pains I've ever encountered making and it wouldn't be worth it to do that again. We machined the centers out of two and pressed and welded them into a wider aluminum hoop. I've seen a few different hole patterns on the wheels. Mine are already ford bolt pattern so they worked great on my car. I'd go to a wrecking yard and look through the rack of spares a lot of the more organized wrecking yards will have, then you can pick up the inventory number that their computer system uses and it'll be a breeze to find as many as you need. Mine are 16x4 also.

26. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

I want to say they may have been from a grand marquee early 90's. I don't remember for sure. I'll try to figure it out this week if I have time.

27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

thanks for getting back to us. i'll say it again ,the wheels look great (and the car).i guess its because its not something you see every day.

28. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

Thank you very much. They're actually a really nice one piece cast wheel too and like it's been said, they're cheap when you find them. If I get time this week I'll look into it for your guys. I have a wrecking yard next door to the shop and that's where I found these ones. I remember they were really difficult to find more of, but I'm sure throughout the country they're out there!

29. pacificustoms

pacificustoms
    from Napa, CA

So, from what I can find out the wheels would be off of 94-97 Crown Victoria's, Grand Marquis', and Lincoln Town Cars. It shows to be aluminum 16x4 compact spares for those models and year range, however it doesn't specify slotted or not, so they may be smooth wheels. The are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern ones though. Best bet would be to get a picture or look at them in person before buying any. The wrecking yard next door didn't have any in stock so I wasn't able to confirm if that application is for slotted ones or not. I figure it's a starting point, better then nothing...

30. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I don't know, ask them about their Firestones blowing out on their Explorers a few years back.:D