Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum slant six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonCi$co, May 7, 2008.

1. VonCi$co

VonCi$co

I have an all aluminum slant six block. Has anyone ever heard of this? I also had a 4 barral intake but sold it along time ago( I kick my self in the ass for that). Any info would be great.

2. DrJ

DrJ

Mercedes?
    Toyota?
    What?

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Did it have a Reeeaaalll looooong 4bbl manifold ?

If so you should kick yerself again... could be the Highly sought after HYPER~PAK MoPar used in the Early Factory hot rod Darts !!

Or it could just be an Early Aluminum Slant... Best get some numbers and start searchin it out.

4. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

SLANT SIX.... I only ever heard of Dodge & Plymouth with one.

5. My Chrysler book says in the Dodge section that beginning in mid-1961 the 225-CI slant was produced with an aluminum block, but that exact production dates aren't available and production is unknown. If I go to the Plymouth section the only note I find is that according to it -all- '62 fullsize Plymouth slant sixes were aluminum block. Same again for '63. But in these cars the various V8s were optional.

I could have had one a while back but the guy who had it seemed to think it was worth something and as near as I can tell it's a curiousity - and would look neat cleaned up and put in a hoodless or open hood side car - but not worth much. Unless it has that 4bbl intake with it.

Didn't Tex Smith have that XR-6 Model T roadster with one of these for power, built back around '62 or so?

6. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Mopar made the aluminum /6 for a couple year maybe 61, 62. These were in Lancers and Valiants mostly in the Lancer GT. They were availble with the hyper pac option that included a higher compression head and a 2 bbl intake set up. I believe they had ring sealing problems and they were discontinued. I was working at a Dodge dealer ship during those years and only sow about 6 or so ever come in and get sold. I friend had one in his Lancer 2dr hardtop. I believe the iron 225 put out 145 HP and the Aluminum one with the 2bl was good for 195.

from valiant.org

From mid-1961 to 1963, 50,000 225-cid Slant Six engines were produced with an aluminum engine block. A competition engine, the Hyper-Pak featured a much more radical cam, intake, and carb; steel tubing exhaust headers; higher compression pistons; and a special tuned exhaust system. Advertised at 195 hp, Hyper-Pak engines are often said to put out even more power. They were the rulers of the lower stock classes at the drag races. The Hyper-Pak was available as a dealer-installed or user-installed optionFrom mid-1961 to 1963, 50,000 225-cid Slant Six engines were produced with an aluminum engine block. A competition engine, the Hyper-Pak featured a much more radical cam, intake, and carb; steel tubing exhaust headers; higher compression pistons; and a special tuned exhaust system. Advertised at 195 hp, Hyper-Pak engines are often said to put out even more power. They were the rulers of the lower stock classes at the drag races. The Hyper-Pak was available as a dealer-installed or user-installed option.

and from allpar;
    Now in its second year, the Lancer picked up a new premium series called the GT--a two­door hardtop with front bucket seats and a padded instrument panel as standard equipment. By the end of the year, the GT had garnered 29.2% of Lancer sales. A 145hp Six with a die-cast aluminum block was a new option offered in 1962.

7. DrJ

DrJ

240Z was a slant 6,(iron) as was a Gull-wing 300SL, among others.
    Pontiac had their slant4.
    Could be others around?

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

HMMMM,

Well all the Z cars i ever saw had an OHC inline 6,
    Thought the MBZ had a DOHC inline & the Pontiac is..... Well .... A 4cyl which is actually 1/2 of a 389 ............

But who am i to question anyone with so much hair growing from there holes !! :D

9. 1952henry

1952henry

IHC Scout engines:

152" four, which was 1/2 of the 304" bent eight

196" four, 1/2 of the mighty 392" bent eight

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

240Z was not a slant six. if you looked at a mopar slant six you would see where the slant part comes from.

as for the hyperpack 4 barrel intake... those intakes were like a slant six sideways tunnelram. the carb was about a foot away from the head. as gfar as I know they were the only factory 4BBL intake for these motors, though all the aftermarket companies made them. Clifford Research remade the Hyperpack intake for a while and I won one in a raffle for a dollar at a Mopar show, it was my first ebay sale .. I got like $250 for it. I can't imagine what an original would go for.

I remember reading they did have some troubles with the aluminum blocks, and something is stuck in my head about them being more popular in Australia.?? but the whiskey has taken a few too many brain cells so I don't recall all the facts.

11. The Hyper-Pac was a seperate option, and was available on both aluminum and iron blocks.
    The XR-6 roadster was a very unique work of art. Slightly A-symetrical, it won trophies and was produced in model form, I believe by AMT. Probably intently built as a novelty, it none the less affected the way people looked at the "sport".
    As a P.S.; someone out there wants that wierd hunk of AU!!!!!!!!!!!

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

... saw a 69 (?) Charger with a slant six once. that has to be a rare car.

13. ElPlymino

ElPlymino
    from Orcutt

If it was this looong, it was a hyper-pak but Clifford Performance has recast them in the past...so if yours had "Clifford" cast on it then it was a copy and not as valuable.
    [​IMG]

14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you confusing the XR6 and the buck-a-pound roadster he built? I remember the latter being powered by a slant six, don't remember what was in the XR6.

Maybe I'm just suffering from CRS...

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

As said, '61 and early '62 production, in Lancers and Valiants.
    The block had an open deck and bore sleeves that were anchored only at the bottom of the block--nothing at the top. No deck surface, so you have an unobstructed view of the water jacket.
    It had an iron head. These blocks require a special composite head gasket that is different from other Slant head gaskets. Their downfall was head sealing problems. My theory is that the two dis-similar metals and expansion rates were a big cause of this, because gasket technology wasn't where it is today. The open deck/cylinder bore deal only made things worse.
    to find one today is tough. To find one that isn't eaten up by electrolysis is very difficult.
    I had one, and it's on the way to Australia. Shouldn't have sold it, but reality set in.
    If I'd have kept it, I think I would have taken it to a machinist and had a deck created out of plate, milled to fit down into it and Tig welded in to give the engine a deck. That way you'd be able to use regular Slant head gaskets (the others are pretty much an NOS item), and hopefully get rid of the sealing problems.
    They have NOTHING in common with the Australian Chrysler 6 cylinder, other than the name "Chrysler."

for a quick ID while in the car, they're painted red, and more importantly, the block doesn't have any freeze plugs on the sides.

-Brad

16. twofosho

twofosho

As stated above go to slant six. org and spend a little (lot) a time there. You'll find just about whatever you need to know, especially if you want to rebuild and/or hot rod it.

HyperPak was just more than a manifold, it was a complete package developed to DOMINATE the NASCAR compact races of the early 60s, which it did. Outside of the race cars, there were reputed to be about 200 or so sold over the counter.

I talked to the Clifford people a while back (about 6 or 7 weeks) about the HyperPak intake, they said as soon as they get 10 solid orders, they're going to do another run. My neighbor and I want at least one apiece and they had a couple of other orders already, so maybe soon. A couple of things come to mind, though. First, it's going to be around 400 dollars. Second, if you don't live in a warm climate, you'll need to rig up some kind of carb/runner heat because it doesn't have any (race manifold). Third, in addition to the four barrel carburetor, it needs a free flowing exhaust, cam, and head work to take advantage of it.

17. AssGasket

AssGasket

I saw one of those in the junkyard a few weeks ago...

It was kind of thrashed, though...

18. 4-pot

4-pot

I built an aluminum slant 6 about 1967, it was in a 61 plymouth valiant. It had a 4 bbl. a wild crower cam and 13 to 1 pistons, I couldn't keep head gaskets in it. The cylinders were free standing and not a very thick deck. I finally gave up and got a cast iron block.

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The XR-6 was called XR(Experimental Roadster) dash 6(Six cylinder power) and that's the rest of the story.

20. VonCi$co

VonCi$co

Cool thanks for all the info. It is a dodge 225 /6. Ive had it for a long time. Just thought i might have something valuble. Ill hold on to it until 49,000 blocks are destroyed! Thanks again.

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The XR6 had an all aluminum slant 6 experimental/prototype motor built by Chrysler Corporation Tex got it from them after Hot Rod did an article on some of their concept engines.The car sat here in Ct. in Barstow Motors private collection.I spoke with Mr Barstow many times he used to bring a bright orange Packard wrecker truck to all the local antique/cars shows