Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum skinned interiors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VoodooTwin, Jul 26, 2013.

1. I had stainless door panels in my hardtop for a long time. With them and the black vinyl seats, it got a little warm in the summer.... :)

2. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Good thread and nice work. I'm doing a full aluminum interior in my 31 with copper rivets . It will have a bit of leather in the mix also.

3. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I see some sort of fasteners holding these panels on. Self tapping sheet metal screws? Rivets? or some other type?

Looks great. Also not being a metal fab type, how are those large holes with the beveled look made/punched?

Thanks, Mike

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I agree! Now I need to find a local supplier, I'm thinking my '56 may get aluminum interior panels! :cool:

5. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

The fasteners you are referring to are Cleco clamps. The holes with the chamfer are done using dimple dies.

6. Don't know anything about this car, but saw this Plymouth on ebay. Check out the headliner.

Attached Files:

7. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just when you think you can reinvent the wheel
    very cool

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here is mine from 25 years ago pic taken in 2012, held up pretty well ..The guys that can do the woodpeckers and flames amaze me, then there is a thread somewheres [maybe on here?] that shows some art work..I'll see if I have it saved..

Attached Files:

9. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Cleco clamps are those used as you fabricate and can be removed? Right? I am talking about the finished end product like the door panels. Are they able to be removed if you have roll up windows or need to do repair to the door latch?

Mike

10. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Yes they are removable and come in different sizes, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32. You drill you panels and use the Cleco's to hold everything in place while you rivet. Then remove and finish.

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

For stuff that might need to come back off for repairs I use wellnuts and machine screws.

Anything going into tubing or blind holes that wont have to be removed I use zinc plated steel pop rivets.

Anything I can get to both sides gets stainless machine screws and nylock nuts.

1/8" pop rivets and 4/40 screws are my most used. 6/32 screws and wellnuts on the doors and such.

Mcmaster.com is the place to get everything.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  12. X2

Walt

13. Great thread. I'm hoping to do much of my interior in aluminum.

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Thanks, That was my first hot rod and I learned a lot, Really liked how the interior turned out but as with many first timers I was more worried about being really low than having good proportions so the car was about as pretty as a soup sandwich but had some neat features. So I sold it, live and learn
    here is a couple more pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Different take on aluminum door panels. Used a bead roller and the louver punch on my Zipper panels

Attached Files:

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Denis, that is neat! I really dig the little door latch gizmo you have on there. My model A doors always fly open on big bumps and want to add something like that. I hate it when my doors fly open! lol. Any details on how you installed those? Thanks.

17. colorado51

colorado51

How do you guys stop the rattling? My car is an X-Racecar and it has aluminum panels and man to they make noise!

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Peel n Seal/dynamat type deadener on the backsides of the panels, closed cell foam on the mounting surfaces, and tight fitting screws. So far so good.

19. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

^^x2

20. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Voodoo Twin....the latches were made by Zipper and they're nothing more than a spring loaded barrel bolt. You can buy something similar at any good hardware store and make it fit.

Colorado51...same as everybody else I used closed cell foam and sheet metal screws

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Stick on butyl tape meant for ductwork insulation quiets the panels down, but in an open car, it's like riding in a convection oven. My feet and legs got sunburned on the OPPOSITE side the sun was shining on this road trip!

Attached Files:

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

So... you're not taking it to B-ville then? LOL Gary

23. Some killer bead work here on this thead. Keep the posts and pics coming.

24. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

25. Alex D.

Alex D.
    from Hydes, MD.

I had plenty of aluminum lying around and no money for upholstery, so I painted and filled the holes in my door panels with aluminum .I also did the rockers and rear package tray. I like the way it turned out.

[​IMG]

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Wow! Some amazing workmanship/ideas here!! Awesome stuff boys, keep it coming!!

27. dan31

dan31

man,you guys do some sick work!

28. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

That does look pretty good. cool idea