Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum Rods in Olds 324

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2Hep, Jul 20, 2009.

1. 2Hep

2Hep

Curious if anybody is running aluminum rods in an early Olds block on the street? Or any other early block? What would the benefit be aside from weight?

Let's say on a mildly overworked '56 Olds Block (324- Bored 60) Dual Carbs.

I know its a bad thing to do for street use, as heat causes problems and stretches the Al. rod over time...but can it be done? As long as the engine isn't being hammered with?

Researching and not finding the answers...thought I'd try here

2. panic

panic

heat causes problems and stretches the Al. rod over time
    Not true - the rod only reaches the water and oil temp - perhaps 250° F, far below its annealing temperature, and does not reach normal length until it's hot, and running it hard before it's hot is bad.
    New aluminum rod on the street? Fine, just don't use 8,000 RPM. Won't last as long as steel, but you can get 50K out of it if you're conservative.
    Used aluminum rod? Hang it on the wall.

3. My mate is an engine guy, he is building a 324 with MT alloy rods for the street. Its going to be a pretty nuts engine, he is also going to be building a jig to check the height of his pistons, so he will know if something is changing with the rods. He is also building a 'milder spare' engine..........

Whats the worst that can happen......................LOL!

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

X2. Also, there is a big difference between a modern forged rod like BME and a vintage one. They have come a long way in metallurgy and manufacturing techniques since the 60's and 70's. The biggest drawback is they are about twice the price of a good aftermarket steel rod.

5. 2Hep

2Hep

Brand New Howard connecting rods, never used.

6. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I run BME aluminum rods all the time. For the street, they wont last as long as steel, probably not a big deal. A few things, make sure you balance the motor for the rods and pistons, reciprocating weight is lighter, make sure you give the rods more side clearance than steel rods, and use ARP bolts lubricated properly and torqued or stretched to mfg specs. If you run an aluminum flywheel also, she'll have real snappy throttle response. Good luck.

7. 1935olds

1935olds

Probley wont work with 2 superchargers! Lol, fancy meeting you here.

8. 2Hep

2Hep

Hey Harry, Wait till I post that thread on the the twin McCullochs... BTW did you see those Rods when you were over, forgot to point those out...