Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aluminum radiator advice?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gizzy, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I'm thinking about putting an aluminum radiator in my '64 Belair w/small block & automatic.Theres quite a spread in quality & pricing.What do you guys recommend without breaking the bank?

2. Brass&copper.

Stu D Baker and Moriarity like this.
  3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have multiple cars with champion aluminum radiators off ebay and bought directly from them. Good price and have worked great.

4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Put a northern rad in my 68 camaro with 500hp SBC. Nocked 10 degrees off the temp right off the top which I had heard other guys say. Was under $400 Canadian. The key to good cooling is a good shroud for the fan. I run a 5 blade fan off the motor with the factory shroud and have the fan into the shroud the proper depth. I also have a puller electric fan that I control for really hot days if I get stuck in any traffic. Hardly ever have to use it. Car runs between 180-190 all day long

Gizzy likes this.

5. I'm running a Champion in my Ford, made for a '65 Chevy. Got in on eBay, polished and shipped for $219. Seller was radiatorsforless.
    3-5-017.JPG

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

x2

7. prpmmp

prpmmp

8. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C,G & J, also known as Brice Thomas Radiator, Gadsden Alabama.
    http://www.cgj.com/
    50 years in business, making rads and heat exchangers for everything you could imagine. I bought a '40 Chev rad from them, nice one piece stamped top tank, they shipped it without cap, inlet and mounts welded at my request. Good folks to deal with, quality product made in the USA.

Edit: Don't let some of the prices on their home page scare ya. My rad was $395 in 2011.

9. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Well, I bought one for my 1934 Chevy from Brice Thomas and had to send it back 3 times to get the brackets to fit. Once we got past that part it cools great and no problems so far. They took care of the problem and paid all shipping.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Copper/brass first. We use a CR in our 1/2 mile dirt super stock for 600 hp. Good luck.

11. Leakie

Leakie

For aluminium radiators check out PRC out of Boonville In. Great customer service, great tig welded product built to your specs.