Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods aluminum intake and clear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K204DR, Apr 22, 2015.

1. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

got a raw aluminum intake, was wondering if I can use flat clear on it from a gun. Don't want it to yellow but would like to close up the pores so it looks good for a long time, any thoughts or ideas?

2. Slopok

Slopok

Many people have done that just to make it easier to keep clean. Try to keep from getting gas on it though or it will yellow from what I've seen.

3. boutlaw

boutlaw

Ya know what K20, I kinda did that, except I used Duplicolor rattle can clear after bead blasting my old MT crossram intake and it still looks great after 2 years. The intake was of course an old casting and just looked bad. After cleaning I sprayed with the Duplicolor clear and it kinda has a very light grey sheen to it. The clear is really easy to run but has held up well. I plan to do it again in the future. Don't know about clear coat from spray gun, sorry.

4. joe.didio

joe.didio

Duplicolor rattle can clear worked well for me.

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've used the clear for POR-15 on several manifolds. It doesn't yellow. You can brush it on (works well and flows out nice) or spray it.

Model T1 likes this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I've clear powder coated them nothing discolors it.

Pat

7. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I did o e with a clear powder coat to keep it clean and it held up really well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

ok cool. I think we will try flat clear. I want it to look like its still cast alum with no shine. thanks.

9. Back in the day, we used to bead blast our aluminum parts, side covers and engine cases all the time and shoot 'em with IMRON. It worked great!

Of course, we don't have Imron anymore...

10. Clean it and soak it with Lemon Pledge, you'll have to clean it occasionally and soak it again. But you don't run the risk of it yellowing, or peeling.

Note never soak it hot and let it set for a while before starting it and getting it hot.

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Block your heat riser passages, or it will "yellow", (more like "tan"), in those areas..............That's been my experience.