Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminum head saver, a.k.a. sacrificial anode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sidevalve8ba, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Okay here's a question for those in the know. I am aware that a zinc sacrificial anode will help prevent deterioration of aluminum heads. My question is where in the cooling system is the best place to locate it? I got one from Mac's I've been planning on using. I have the coolant drained from my car and I'm curious where it will be most effective. Any suggestions? This thing has a wire attached to it that must be to attach it to something but what? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I put one in the radiator on my 30 pickup with an aluminum head, but I don't think you need one if you use the new antifreeze, they are made for the newer engines that have aluminum heads. The newer cars don't have the problems with deterioration on the aluminum parts.

3. I've just installed one in each of my Weiand heads. Mine had a brass threaded plug attached to one end of the 1/2" zinc rod. I drilled and tapped my heads on the blank area beside the water outlet (these are usually threaded on stock Ford heads for the temp sensor).
    I believe your type is designed to be held by the water hose and hang in the outlet, but I dont see that as a very efficient method. For an anode to work well it needs to be very well earthed, and a bit of wire may or may not achieve that.
    It's debateable whether they are needed with modern coolants, but as I see it, if your heads are rare, why take the chance?

4. Thanks rockabilly. That is good information about grounding. I figure since I already have the anode I may as well try to use it. I've got a set of Offenhauser heads own mine and even though they are not rare they are becoming expensive due to the price of aluminum. I hate having to buy something twice. :rolleyes:

5. That's a good point. A lot of new cars have aluminum heads and even blocks in some cases. Thanks.

6. The question is though, do modern aluminium engines have any built in anodes, or do they rely on coolant. Another point is..... we may have our heads for decades, a modern car is only designed to last a few years, particularly asian ones.

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

I think summit racing sells some that hang off your radiator cap.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. That brings up a very good point. I have no idea if the new cars have such an anode. And yes some of the heads get passed down from generation to generation.

9. fsae0607

fsae0607

Sorry I meant they install in place of your drain petcock.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

10. fsae0607

fsae0607