Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aluminum head, intake & radiator general questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Nov 23, 2015.

1. I have aluminum heads, intake and radiator for my Ford. Heads and intake are Dart products. I'll be needing a bunch of plugs to fill unused ports in the head and manifold. I'm open to opinions on materials.

Reaction-wise, low alloy steel is fairly close to cast aluminum on a galvanic chart. Chromed steel even closer to the aluminum. I will be using a brass insert for the temp gauge since it came with the kit. 303 series stainless and brass are about even and considerably lower on the chart than low alloy steel.

Concerns are galling (will use never seize) and electrolysis. I've seen recommendations for a sacrificial anode for the radiator and insulate to the radiator from the body. I will have good grounds everywhere.

Thanks!

2. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think you want to insulate the radiator. Ground it well so the coolant is not the grounding factor. Then you help prevent electrolysis.

3. I'd check around regarding head gaskets and alloy heads also.......andyd

4. squirrel

squirrel

brass? seems to work for me.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've had SS plugs in my manifold & water pump for 13 years , put them in w/teflon paste , I don't like tape , but that's just me, you can buy sacrificial anodes that will fit in your block drains [thier cheap if you look online] I've not seen any problem w/galling or electrolysis..
    dave

6. Good stuff, thanks. Just bolt the radiator in sounds good to me. I still like the sacrificial anode thing and will look into it more.

The head gaskets came with the heads from Dart, I could unwrap them to see what they're made of. I think I can't go wrong with brass or stainless with the anode in place.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Stray current (electrolysis) can corrode the aluminium radiator if not kept in check, I use correct coolant in all my cars. Make sure you properly flush all the old coolant from the engine and system before refilling as residual fluid will contaminate the new clean fluid due to a chemical reaction taking place. Don't mix different coolants as this can contribute to failure as well as they care not compatible. Check with a voltmeter to see of there is any stray current.

8. The engine is a fresh build, no old coolant. I did see about checking for stray current, easy enough to do.